No announcement yet.

Pound (£) sign problems with UTF-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*grumbles about old ascii encoding at the software side till being a problem*

Comment

£ on US rackspace Cloud

Just to bring this up to date (as of 2010) I've had to implement the .htaccess fix to display £ correctly on the US Rackspace Cloud i'm currently evaluating.

works a dream.
      Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
      www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

Andy - what exactly did you put in the .htaccess file? Was it just a single line :

AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

pound symbol FIXED

yes. exactly that. but i had to put one htaccess file in each directory.

check it out, see if it works! it does here, but just to be sure do YOU see £ or a square on my site??
          www.postpaidgames.co.uk

hmmm.....

actually it seems to be randomly odd - some pages ok sometimes, otehr times not - but if you add ? to teh end of the url, it works....

EDIT:
          using this thread:
          http://community.actinic.com/showpos...6&postcount=17
          ive changed the symbol to html encoding as specified. seems to work 100% now.
          Last edited by Andy Warner; 08-Sep-2010, 01:15 PM. Reason: fixed
          Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
          www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

Strangely enough I get this problem now after moving servers...

I changed the encoding on the price variables and price option drop down to HTML which works perfectly

BUT

the pound sign still shows as ? in the search results page and in the checkout area. When I change to HTML encoding on these, it messes up

Does anybody know how to change the £ variable to html in the database or perl files or wherever it's stored?

Comment

The strange thing is if you change to dollar or euro then everything is fine??

Of course, i have checked regional settings on computer and meta tags on page etc

I'll keep looking to see if I can find the solution, if not I guess a call to support...

Comment

Well even actinic support are struggling with this one...

Personally I do think it is some issue with the encoding on the server, but that can't be changed for some reason and actinic should be able to send up the correct currency symbol regardless of servers

Anyway I do find it strange that all other price variables can be encoded to HTML apart from the SearchPriceResults and shipping on checkout page 2 which are using the £ symbol.

You would have thought the perl scripts could be modified to remove at least the £ symbol so it can be hard coded to the page?

Waiting for further answers from support....

Comment

There's thousands of people without this problem, why not just change hosts, you can argue the toss on what should or should not be happening or what actinic should be able to do, but you're arguing with yourself and in the meantime your site is not working correctly. If nothing else, surely your time is more valuable than what a hosting change will cost.

Comment

Working...
                  X