No announcement yet.

Eileen's guide to Google Analytics with V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record if you want shipping to be shown add "<actinic:variable name="Shipping" />" to "utmt" in place of the "0.00".

I noticed that the city is returning <BR> after it but I presume this is being ignored by analytics.

I have also just realised that I am getting zero value in my goal values. Everything else is pulling through OK. Any ideas what I might have missed?

Comment

Snap, i can see all other information, but everything in the goal section isn't working for me. Also, for some reason the trophy i put through for over £1871.28 is showing up as £1 in GA. All other trophies are reporting back properly tho?

Answer:
      Still dont know why it showed up as £1
      "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

I have implemented the tracking code as you have suggested, thanks.

However google analytics is not recording any ecommerce values. I dont know much about coding, can anyone check this line taken from the front page.

<script type="text/javascript">
        <!--
        utmprice = "NETQUOTEVAR:PRICE";
        utmi += " UTM:I|" + utmordernumber + "|" + utmprodref + "|" + utmproduct + "||" + utmprice + "|" + utmquantity ;
        -->
        </script>

Is the following correct, or is there an extra + in there.

utmi += " UTM:I|"
        Jonathan

Comment

Just a thought, with the checkout pages, do i use the same script that i used for the content pages?
          I ask because everything else is working apart from my goal funnel now

Paul

Answer:
          I used the following code for the checkout pages ONLY (no blockif's):

<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
          </script>
          _uacct = "UA-xxxxxxx-x";
          urchinTracker('<actinic:variable name="PageType" />.html');
          </script>
          i found using the rest of the code in the body was messing it up

javascript:__utmSetTrans()">
          <!--
          var utmt, utmi, utmordernumber, utmprice, utminvoice, utmquantity, utmprodref, utmproduct;
          utmi = "";
          // -->
          </script>
          so i only used the above code in the recipt page.

Content and receipt instructions perfect, and if you are using it on brouchure pages, just change "section" in the blockif statements to "brouchure".

Comment

Excellent post - just about to give it a go.

I have made one change as my site has SSL on the checkout pages. Use this code on checkout pages if you are using SSL:

<script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
            instead of

<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">

This prevents the message about unsecure items being displayed on the page.
            Regards
            David

Comment

Jonathan

That should be from your receipt page per line 22 of Eileen's instructions.

Paul

The page header and body scripts can / should go on all entry pages you want to track. Although the cart pages are not strictly entry points it doesn't hurt having them there if you are using the same template.

If it is not working then it could be your funnel. Start with a simple one and set the goal to be /receipt.html and the first and only step to be /Shopping Cart.html.

If you get no luck from that but can see the output on the receipt page in Eileens test mode then it must be something to do with account the set up. In which case start by checking your UA- etc.

Dave

Yup we covered that one earlier. You can use it just for the secure pages (I have) or I believe for the whole site including non secure pages.

Might be a good idea (please Mr Dicken sir) to have the pertinent parts from this one gathered into a single page somewhere and made sticky and closed.

Following Eileen's method with the few additions detailed above I am getting all info now (much better that my old V7 implementation).

Currently there is one shortcoming where you cannot use the ecommerce value as the Goal value. Despite what their instructions suggest Google have not quite implemented that bit but are working on it.

Comment

Hi Alistair - yes you did cover SSL - doh!

It would be useful to have a lot more sticky's available - especially as single compiled items as you have suggested.
                Regards
                David

Comment

Originally posted by skinnybloke
                  It would be useful to have a lot more sticky's available - especially as single compiled items as you have suggested.
                  Or as filed documents in the knowledgebase - although we might need training to go and look there In which case a clear filing tree and even a cross platform search would be useful.

Comment

I have the code in the recipt page, what i meant was the code i copied above is from the first page of this post.

I am not sure if that extra + symbol is required or not.
                    Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix164
                      that extra + symbol
                      With you now. No it isn't and I deleted it from mine. Sorry should have posted that.

Comment

thanks for that
                        Jonathan

Comment

With the goals, do i need to put the '/' before the .html page?
                          i.e. /receipt.html, /Checkout Page 0.html.............

Im still not getting the funnel working.....

Answer:
                          it seems to not make a difference, i.e. unrchintracker(index.html) = index.html or /index.html

Comment

Just thought i would share this.......

i have finally got it to work........

Should pay more attention to what theme is being used

Comment

Just thought i would share this.......

i have finally got it to work
                              would you like to post the answers to your own questions for the benefit of others

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                                would you like to post the answers to your own questions for the benefit of others
                                Done, i have gone through my orginal posts and answered them.
                                Hope it helps

Comment

Working...
                                X