No announcement yet.

Actinic Checkout - Speedup Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I said above, it could have been structured differently if only John had thought it through, I think this could be taken up by hundreds when they find out about it.

As for 'should not use it unless' who are you trying to kid? Norman is a real brick to the community and apart from thanks doesn't get much back. Kermy's efforts were amazing and widely used - he got nothing.

John has to realise that posting the fix for free, it's going to get abused. Some will give a good link (if relevant) - some will give a link as required (but bury it) - how many will take the code and forget the source?

Paul
    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Just to double check if I understand correctly, you should not use this if you have more than one ISP ie realex and pay pal in my case? Its a great idea, surely actinic should look at this seriously as an official upgrade/plug in.
      www.satellite.ie

Comment

I totally agree that people will use the code without giving a link but it will affect things. Just as norm has made his v8 stuff chargeable rather than donationware and I have stopped posting seo advice after my posts were being abused.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
          I totally agree that people will use the code without giving a link but it will affect things. Just as norm has made his v8 stuff chargeable rather than donationware and I have stopped posting seo advice after my posts were being abused.
          Harrumphh! Totally understand, knowledge offered for gain should be rewarded.

Some people never learn - you did. Norman's getting better at it.

John: I am sorry that this post has gone OT. Congratulations and heart-felt thanks for your efforts, from all in the Community. (Not that I have it working yet...) This is going to be a major topic (IMO).
          Paul
          Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Originally posted by robwill
            Could you possibly give me a link to the sites you are both testing it on?
            Hi Rob
            I've got it on these two
            www.exoticandoriental.co.uk
            www.happybuddha.co.uk

Apologies for the tardy response but I stay away from the computer on Sundays in an effort to regain sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by bamboo
              Hi Rob
              I've got it on these two
              www.exoticandoriental.co.uk
              www.happybuddha.co.uk

Apologies for the tardy response but I stay away from the computer on Sundays in an effort to regain sanity.
              The reason it doesn't work on www.exoticandoriental.co.uk is because your 'Next>' button is now called 'Continue>'.

If you change the next button name in checkout_speedup.js so it matches yours.

PHP Code:
              $(function() {

////  autoforward to psp bounce stage unless user has chosen a seperate delivery address

// if you have renamed your checkout next button change it here!

var next_button_name 'Continue>'
              You should be good to go!
              Rob Williams
              Ink Cartridges
              Stinky Ink - Blog

Comment

Morning all, Yawn, Scratch, Yawn (Another Monday in Sunny Shropshire),

Rob is answering all the weekends technical stuff, but I would like to discuss backlinks.

The links that we have created are relevant backlinks, from whichever site they are posted on, because:
                1. The anchor text contains specific keywords
                2. The link is to a page on the site that also contains those keywords (Title and content)
                3. The links will be from a range of IP addresses - Google likes that!
                4. We have offered 5 different links to strengthen the relevant pages for those particular keywords

So what I am looking for is a range of different IP addresses, using different, but relevant Anchor text which point to relevant pages on my site.

These backlinks are worth more to me than money because as you are all aware the Might Google likes backlinks which is why I have offered the code on an 'Honesty Box' basis, I reckon most people are pretty honest and will do their best if the code helps them
                John Sollars
                MD at Stinkyink.Com
                Ph 01746 781020
                Fx 01746 781698
                Em John (at) Stinkyink dot Com

Comment

These backlinks are worth more to me than money
                  Nice to see you explaining it - I didnt want to give away your plan. I hope as you do that people will be honest and give you the links you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Tickle
                    Hi Rob,

just got it working. I forgot that I had two layouts (one for top level and one for product level) so I added it to the <head> for both layouts ant that solved it.

You can see it working on my site listed in the sig below. I've just uploaded it onto the live site and we'll see how it goes for a couple of days. I'm very excited at the improvement though.

It doesn't seem to be down to two checkout pages though and neither does your site my my reckoning. Let me explain, my pages were as follows:

1. View basket - roughly same as yours
                    2. Checkout - where you can also tell it to deliver to a different address - roughly same as yours
                    3. Address details - roughly same as yours
                    4. Order summary - no function just shows the order and the payment method
                    5. An automatic redirect screen that displays for a few seconds and then take you to the Protx first screen.
                    I wouldn't class the shopping cart as a stage in the checkout process anyone can go to stage 2. from any part of the site.

Originally posted by Tickle
                    After installing these scripts it still does steps 1-3 the same as before but upon hitting NEXT on step 3 it goes straight to the first Protx screen. Thus reducing 5 steps to 3 which is fantastic!

On your site it does the same except you have a screen to collect the card payment details instead of Protx it seems.

Is this right?
                    Yes it is, The payment screen is actually on secure hosting we've just made it look like the rest of the site.
                    Rob Williams
                    Ink Cartridges
                    Stinky Ink - Blog

Comment

I hope as you do that people will be honest and give you the links you deserve.
                      Hi Mal,

I believe that we are giving something of value, and that the majority will recognise that and reciprocate, if the code we were offering was of no value then we wouldn't deserve anything back - so that is the decision to make, is it of value or not?
                      John Sollars
                      MD at Stinkyink.Com
                      Ph 01746 781020
                      Fx 01746 781698

Comment

Definitely is of value, I'm just sorry I cannot use it as I have two ISP's . Hopefully Actinic might take it on board and pay you for your time.
                        www.satellite.ie

Comment

Hi Tony,

Rob is at Lunch at the moments, but we were discussing this on Friday and he thinks that it will work, I'll get him to contact you when he returns
                          John Sollars
                          MD at Stinkyink.Com
                          Ph 01746 781020
                          Fx 01746 781698

Comment

Thanks appreciate it
                            www.satellite.ie

Comment

I believe that we are giving something of value, and that the majority will recognise that and reciprocate
                              It's tricky. If I google nortree (v11) requires javascript inurl:acatalog for just a single of my "donationware" patches I can see it on 13,200 pages. At a rough guess of 100 pages per site, that's 130 sites. Somewhere between 10 to 20 donated, leading to an estimate of only 1 in 6 or 1 in 12 doing the right thing.

Now that's an old V6 V7 patch and these results used to show something like double the number of pages resulting in a lamentable 1 in 12 to 1 in 24 fair users.

I made all my V8 stuff paid for and this encourages me to provide detailed installation instructions, fix bugs, keep it up to date and run a dedicated support forum. It also encourages me to write new stuff, some of which involves a lot of code.
                              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

only 1 in 6 or 1 in 12 doing the right thing
                                Yep I would agree - the majority of Actinic users spoil things for the minority how are prepared to play by the rules. As far as I am concerned the forum can go suck for SEO advice after I found my posts being harvested. Stinky should make the code available to only those people who have posted a link first and then monitor that link to ensure that it remains on site.

Comment

Working...
                                X