Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Site linking to another website (Hacked?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site linking to another website (Hacked?)

Hi everyone,

This is the first time posting on here as every question we've had previously has been already posted and answered, so thanks for the info previously!

The issue we've got (which I couldn't find anywhere else) is that when you click on one of our sub-sections on our website, it sends you to a totally different website. I tried publish/refresh website and it comes up with a CGI bin error then publishes the site. It then comes up with a really long error with things related to this other website.

I'm really non-technical so sorry about that. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and the website is http://www.bowlandoutdoors.com/
    You can see what's happening by going here and clicking on mens http://www.bowlandoutdoors.com/acata...bike-wear.html

I just had a quick look at this, as you're hosted by SellerDeck. I cant actually see anything wrong with your hosting but your DNS is not pointing to SellerDecks servers.

www.bowlandoutdoors.com. 14400 IN A 94.136.40.82

and IP address 94.136.40.82 seems to be a Web Fusion server

It may be you are no longer using SellerDeck hosting and the IP is pointing to the right place of course but you need to check your hosting to make sure.

If it is pointing correctly, you need to check if a redirect of some sort has been set up that is sending your traffic to the offending site. It may be a .htaccess file as been uploaded.
    Steve Wardell
    Operations Director

Comment

Cheers Steve,

We are still using Sellerdeck hosting so nothing should have changed. We haven't made any changes to the site. Any idea how I can change it back?

Thanks
      Dean

Comment

In which case someone has possibly hacked your DNS account, the people with whom you registered your domain. Check that first and make sure its ok, you shoudl contact whoever it is and tell them what has happened and ask them to check if a change was made by someone other than you. You will need to change the password for it and I woudl advise scannign all your PC's for malware in case you have a virus that has compromised your password.

Once you've regained control of your DNS, you need to re-point your domain to the right SellerDeck server, in your case that is 81.29.88.131, once that DNS change propagates you shoudl be back in business
        Steve Wardell
        Operations Director

Comment

Thanks again, you'll have to excuse my pathetic technical understanding here; is the DNS Parallels Plesk Panel? If so, I've been having a look around it to try to make this change and can't seem to find how to do it.

Comment

No, its not that, that's the hosting control panel.

Right now your domain name is registered with someone, possibly 123REG? they run your DNS and it is that which is pointing to the wrong place. Who did you buy the domain name from?

Somehow your DNS has been pointed to the offending server rather than your usual hosting on SellerDeck's server, it looks like the IP address is a webfusion server.

Once you have access to your DNS you can change it to point to the right server IP address, but you must find out what happened, or it very likely might happen again
            Steve Wardell
            Operations Director

Comment

Ah ok. Yes it was 123reg. Just trying to get in and I'm completely locked out of it. It's not recognising the email address to log in even though it was the one we used when we set it up.

I'm in the process of contacting them so hopefully they will be able to help me get access back.

Thanks again for your help. No idea how this has happened but I've started a scan on our whole system to see if there's anything that's caused it.

Comment

Hi Dean,

In addition to checking your PC for malware you may also want to think about the password you used. How secure is it?
                Also, if you use the same email address/password combination for other sites then they could be compromised as well. So you should log in to those and check them and change passwords.

I find that using a password manager like KeePass can really help you out. Particularly as it has a random password generator.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

Comment

looks like you've got it sorted out now as I can see your site again

might have to take a look at your Gore Bikeware sale now
                  Steve Wardell
                  Operations Director

Comment

Working...
                  X