Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filtering product duplicates

Hi all

Hoping someone can help me. I am sure this must be a very simple tickbox setting perhaps that i cannot find, but I have a section populated with product duplicates from several other sections, and I have set it to enable filtering and have configured a suitable filter for the section which uses properties that all the products might use.

But for some reason, on the uploaded site, the section in question shows the relevant filters on the left hand side, but they do not work, and just lists all the possibilities, and not the ones relevant to the products it contains.

http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog...p-sets-p1.html

Any clues anyone? Thanks, Adam

I can reproduce the same problem. If you have a section entirely of duplicate products then the sidebar filtering has a list of all the tick boxes with no number of products and selecting any tick box reports "No matching products were found".
    Peblaco

Comment

Hi Louise, thanks for having a look at it. Interesting that you have recreated the problem for yourself.

I will see if i can report it as a bug and see if they have a workaround in the meantime.

Thanks again, Adam

Comment

There is a solution for this one. In the Settings for Search and Filtering Settings tick "Index Product Duplicates". However note that it will also show duplicates for the search results. I did not notice it was not ticked by default. Thanks to Kirthi for this.
        Peblaco

Comment

You beat me to it! Kirthi did indeed help me with this one, and the fix you mention above works fine.

Thanks to you all for your time and help. Adam

Comment

I seem to be coming across an issue with this work around. Now that product duplicates are indexed when you search a product that has duplicates it shows results for all duplicates and the original. Any ideas of a work around for this while still enabling filtering for duplicates?

Comment

You can have duplicates enabled for filtering but hidden from search results, however the workaround involves changes to a Perl script. I had the issue last year and contacted SellerDeck support, the issue was given a wish list reference number WL-2933. They gave a Perl script fix and mentioned it would probably be included in a future patch, but I cannot see it listed on the 12.0.4 or 12.0.5 release notes. Below is the code fix as given for 12.0.3 so not tested for other versions. I was told "What this does is to eliminate duplicate products from the list of products if a search is being done, prior to pagination etc. Duplicates are detected when a '!' is found in the product reference." If you attempt to make this change remember to make a backup of the script file first and note that the script would get overwritten with any incremental patch upgrades:
              Code:
              Open SearchScript.pl in an editor. Search for "sub DisplayResults" then the line " my @Results = sort" (around line 1903). Amend that line to:

my @TempResults = sort

After the line:

keys %mapProdRefToSortOrders;                   # get product references then sort

append some code, so that including that above line you have:

keys %mapProdRefToSortOrders;                   # get product references then sort
                      my @Results;
                      if ($::g_InputHash{FT} ne "GF")                 # not General Filter search?
                          {
                          @Results = map {(index($_, "!") eq -1) ? $_ : ()} @TempResults; # remove duplicate products from search results
                          }
                      else
                          {
                          @Results = @TempResults;                        # don't remove duplicate products from search results
                          }
              Peblaco

Comment

Why duplicates?

I am a little puzzled as to why you would want a section populated by filter showing duplicates. Perhaps I am even thicker than I thought. I have a couple of sections on my website, both which are populated by filters, which fill with the relevant originals. One section is for a single brand and shows all the products of that brand (no duplicates) and the other section is a section showing all brands, with a drop-down list to select the brand, and showing only originals, intentionally. As Google doesn't like duplicate content, I thought this would be better.

Before the filtering was available, I used to have sections for single brands, containing duplicates of products from other sections, which I have now been able to discontinue (using .htaccess to redirect in case cached in search engines).

Sarah

Comment

Perfect, thanks Louise. Seems to work perfectly with 12.05!

In answer to your question about why we would want to filter a page of duplicates, we have a lot of products on our website. It is split into relevant sections (e.g skis) and we also have specific brand pages. Our section pages for skis are full of duplicates products from various brands so is a page with only duplicates on it. Our brand pages have all the original products on them.

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Ski_s-p1.html

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Salomon_Skis.html

Comment

Same but different

So you have the originals in Brands and the duplicates in the product type sections, while we have the originals in the product type sections and the Brands a filter (not duplicates). So you could have the product type sections filled by filter. Just an idea, but might involve a lot of work.

Sarah

Comment

Yes we could, however the original reason for having brand pages was that we have good google rankings for pages such as "K2 Skis" from our old non filtered site. We wanted to keep these so made sure we still had the pages.

Comment

This also works as a fix for Sellerdeck 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by Sail and Ski View Post
                          This also works as a fix for Sellerdeck 2014!
                          Not managed to make the code work with my 2014. Did you make any changes?

Comment

Originally posted by hem___ View Post
                            Not managed to make the code work with my 2014. Did you make any changes?
                            Do you have 'index product duplicates' checked with the amendments made to the script?

Comment

Originally posted by Sail and Ski View Post
                              Do you have 'index product duplicates' checked with the amendments made to the script?
                              Yes...I'm gussing i should uncheck this!

Comment

Working...
                              X