<meta property="og:description" ERROR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<meta property="og:description" ERROR

Just letting you know there are bugs in META data tags 2014 creates for og description.

If you review the source code one of the og:descriptions is putting "" at end of line making the line invalid

Have checked on a number of 2014 sites so can confirm not a typo! I've even checked on SellerDeck sample site which is attached in a screenshot. http://www.sellerdeck-managed-services.co.uk/

Simple fix there are "" within the nested BLOCK IF statements. Just leave the quote at end to sort

Comment

Thanks for reporting this. I have raised a bug (ref SD-5187) and will get it fixed in a release.

I can confirm that this does not affect the functioning of the tag. The description is still recognised and correctly used when the page is shared on Facebook.
      Bruce Townsend
      Ecommerce Product Manager
      Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

This issue has been resolved in v16.0.1
        Bruce Townsend

Comment

Can someone advise on how to fix this please?
          Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
          Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

The fix is in comment #2 above from Garry at Mediamole - thanks, Garry
            Bruce Townsend

Comment

Hi Bruce,

I had realised post #2 was a fix, however I am a retailer and not a website designer so it really doesn't make sense to me.

I had hoped Sellerdeck would translate Mediamole's fix for the users that are not fully up on web design.

Which template?
              What line of code?

Perhaps a line of the code with the bug, and a line with the fix.

Any above would help.

Many thanks

Jason
              Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
              Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

OK, sorry. So the steps are:
                1. Select 'Library' from the 'Design' menu
                2. Click the 'Layouts' tab
                3. Scroll down to the 'Meta Tags' layout type and expand it
                4. Double-click the 'Standard Meta Tags' layout to open it
                5. Click the >< icon at the top left to toggle Advanced View (it's the one that looks more complicated)
                6. Look for the following line of code:
                  <meta property="og:description" content="<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable name="MetaDescription" />"</actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" >"</actinic:block>" />
                7. Replace it with:
                  <meta property="og:description" content="<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable name="MetaDescription" /></actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" ></actinic:block>" />
                8. Then find this line:
                  <meta property="og:description" content="<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable name="MetaDescription" />"</actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable encoding="strip" name="AboutUs" />"</actinic:block>" />
                9. And replace it with:
                  <meta property="og:description" content="<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable name="MetaDescription" /></actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22MetaDescription%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22%22" ><actinic:variable encoding="strip" name="AboutUs" /></actinic:block>" />

In both cases all you're doing is deleting the double-quote after the last variable in the string

I hope this helps
                Bruce Townsend

Comment

Working...
                X