Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build a compact database function into the regular shutdown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a compact database function into the regular shutdown.

We've been keeping an eye on the dmp errors and they're always happening when we've had a fair bit of order activity or been adding or deleting new products.

Purging and compacting catalog always seems to cure it. Well, I say cure, I dont actually know if its `cured`, but it certainly allows you to carry on working again.

I'm sure a few support calls would be avoided if compacting happened in an automated action as opposed to whenever you think its due to be done.

I still dont know what actually causes them though? A clash of line or column use in the database?
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

On the "Shutting Down" pop up window there is a checkbox that allows you to do this already.

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I usually compact whenever I close Actinic at the end of the day - things start getting sluggish the next morning if I don't.

I have therefore set the Backup setting to 'Always' (Housekeeping>Backup>Shutdown Backup Options) and leave the 'Compact Database After Closing Actinic' check always checked.

Comment

I'll re-phrase.

I meant catalog doing it without being asked, or needing to check the checkbox.

Just do it, every time please, and quietly you know so we scare the bad dmp man away.

For the record we DO compact and purge very regularly.
        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I meant catalog doing it without being asked, or needing to check the checkbox.
          could be a good idea, but tbh its probably best left as an option. People will only complain it increases the shut down time.

if something were added that happened automatically it would need to be more robust and informative.

ie compact, backup and verfiy the database

Comment

How about it being left as a default to do the purge, compact etc. and to have to ask Actinic not to do it on shut down, with the option to remember the setting? This could keep both sides happy?
            I have always compacted etc on closing Actinic-better a few seconds extra shut down than lots of wasted time fixing an error that could have been fixed automatically.
            Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
            www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X