No announcement yet.

Product reference search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can search for product references within the main search field as long as you are not auto-generating product reference numbers. Will that address the issue for you? It could be that are auto-generating product reference numbers now, but you weren't in v6.

Comment

Hi Chris
      We do not auto generate product references. However, whenever we do a search on a product reference, no matching products are found
      regards
      howard

Comment

Do your product references have any unusual characters in them? If I search for '11' on my default Actinic store, I get the teapot up - which has a product reference of '11'.

Comment

Hi Chris
          No we do not.
          As I recall, we had to do what I want as something special in the version 6 AUG.
          Regards
          Howard

Comment

As I recall, we had to do what I want as something special in the version 6 AUG.
            Do you mean something like this?:
            Code:
            <form method="post" action="<actinic:variable name="SearchCGIURL" />">
            	<input type="hidden" name="NOLOGIN" value="1" />
            	Search for product references:
            	<input type="text" name="PRODREF" value="" />
            	<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search Now" />
            </form>

Comment

Hi Chris
              Something like that.
              However, it just worked with all the quick search and main search boxes.
              Where do I put it?
              Regards
              Howard

Comment

Sorry Howard, but you seem to be contradicting yourself.
                However, it just worked with all the quick search and main search boxes.
                Can you remember whether you had a separate box for the product reference search in your v6 store or whether you just used the standard search fields? I just don't know whether to help you get v8 working as v6 did, or help you add a new product reference search field into your layouts.

If it's the latter, I need to see a URL of your store so I know how you can customise the layouts effectively.

Comment

Reference search

I would really like to be able to have a search by product reference number too either by entering the partial or full reference code.

Is there no way to set actinic so that when a user does a search it indexes the reference number as well as the product name and description text in the items it searches.

Quite often customers make an enquiry to me about a particular product quoting the reference number. I can't physically go onto my own site and search for the product by putting the reference number into the search box.
                  I create my own product references and am unable to search for them.

If this isn't easily available to do with V8 perhaps this facility could be included in a wish list for v9?
                  PagesDIY.com

UK Online DIY Store - Tools, Locks & DIY Products

Comment

Hi Chris
                    Sorry, we did have a second box for a time, but then we found that for some reason, the normal box could search on product reference, so we got rid of the separate box.
                    Don't ask me how.
                    Regards
                    Howard

Comment

OK - well if you copy the code I pasted earlier into your Quick Search Bar layout , or your 'Search Page Bulk Area' layout you will have a product reference search field. You may need to tweak the HTML code to suit your requirements, and you may also need to remove the <form> and </form> tags from my code if you are placing this code within an existing <form> on the page (which you probably will be).

But as I say, I changed the product reference of 'Great Expectations' in a default store to 'snowdonia'. Then uploaded and searched for 'snowdonia' and Actinic found the product. This was in 8.5.1

Comment

Whoops
                        RTFM Looked through help
                        and the answer is there
                        It is built in to the progam
                        Althought it doesn't seem to work
                        Is it because I upraded?
                        Regards
                        Howard

Comment

Update

Got it working .
                          Some of our product references contain hyphens, changed valid characters (search settings) to include hyphens and it is now sorted
                          Regards
                          Howard

Comment

Glad you got it working Howard.

Comment

Working...
                            X