Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum changes

It would be nice if the forum would:

a) allow posts closer together than 60 seconds.

b) Search on two and three letter words. This would make it much easier to find information on things like "PHP" or "V9".

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Originally posted by olderscot
    It would be nice if the forum would:

a) allow posts closer together than 60 seconds.

b) Search on two and three letter words. This would make it much easier to find information on things like "PHP" or "V9".

Mike
    I second that Mike,
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

My post count really suffers due to the 60 second wait

In seriousness though, the search facility is still not great.. especially considering this is the main (and up to date) archive for all things Actinic based.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I've always wondered if it would be worthwhile for the forum to have a "Question answered" type of flag for posts (obviously just for question/answer based posts) and possibly a point award scheme [not the *goat* type] for members who answer.
        This would mean
        a) When users are searching the forum for a problem/question similar to theirs they can quickly identify the correct answer(s) in the post (especially if it is a long one)
        b) Incorrect or misleading suggestions could be more easily skipped
        c) users would quickly be able to value the accuracy of responses from members based on their score and not just volume of posts
        d) It might elicit a faster response to answer motivated by the desire for "answer points"

The value of this community cannot be underestimated in terms of the free support offered, voluntarily, by actinic users.
        A point scoring system might even allow Actinic to reward accurate, prompt and helpful members e.g. discounts, hall of fame, hard cash, holiday at Actinic towers, Alpha/Beta testing with perks......

I know it works for other forum communities, just thought I'd throw it back into the mix here
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

interesting ideas..
          and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who finds the 60 second post rule frustrating
          *looks at G.....see...see!!*

Just this bit that worried me.

Originally posted by fergusw
          c) users would quickly be able to value the accuracy of responses from members based on their score and not just volume of posts
          I hope the scoring system won't crash when mine runs into minuses
          LOL
          Tracey

Comment

Because the forum search struggles sometimes I often wonder if it would help to have sub forums within the version sections. Although, on the flipside theres too many sticky threads within the v8 section as it is.

Or maybe an icon for the subject, ie checkout, colours, shipping, etc. Clicking on it would bring up all the threads of the same kind, making browsing more selective.
            Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by george
              theres too many sticky threads within the v8 section as it is.
              I was just thinking that too. Maybe we need a V8 stickies forum?!

It's even more annoying when you're searching through several pages on the V8 forum and constantly having to pass the stickies on every page to get to the actual threads..it wouldn't be so bad if they only stuck to the first page!
              Tracey

Comment

Child boards are the way forward IMO, it's just crazy that we have an 11 month old forum with 150 pages! No library in the world has no index system, why on earth does this one!!!

Our level of indexing is currently the same as a library having just a 'book' section!!!!

Comment

oooh...a child board..is that one where we are allowed to act immature and childish and say stupid things?

although..I'm doing that already...but to have it's own forum..
                  Tracey

Comment

One of the child boards would be called "Tracey" as i've noticed lately that you often talk to yourself in threads, this would be ideal for you. We could just catch up on your exploits once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                      One of the child boards would be called "Tracey" as i've noticed lately that you often talk to yourself in threads, this would be ideal for you. We could just catch up on your exploits once a week.
                      LOL..you've noticed, huh?
                      sometimes I'm the only person who answers me

A forum for my exploits though...that's a worrying thought
                      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                        A bit like watching Eastenders on a Sunday only more entertaining
                        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

A thanks button would be good. It acknowledges thanks without having to jump the post up the page...

Comment

Just going back to the search thing - the forum has two search modes:
                            • The current one we have allows phrases and AND/OR searching, but has a minimum number of characters of 4.
                            • The alternative allows indexing of 2/3 letter words, but can't search on phrases, or eliminate words with '-' etc.
                            Which one would you prefer?

Comment

The first one for me.

You can usually think other possibly associated words to include in your search if you need to search for three letter words. It's not ideal but is better than not being able to seach on phrases.

Comment

Working...
                              X