• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important three word search topics?

psp
    php
    w3c
    pro

Any more that add to the 3 word campaign?

(Personally I'm not bothered which version, just thought I'd add something constructive to the debate).
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Option 1

We can use ADD to circumvent 3 letter searches

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
        Option 1

We can use ADD to circumvent 3 letter searches
        does that work though? I've been trying it and it didn't appear to
        Tracey

Comment

Option 2 for me. I rarely search for phrases, although AND is quite useful, but is a real PITA not being able to search for things like php or V9.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

You can search for 3 letter words simply by adding and asterisk after it - such as:
            php*

This returns loads of php entries:
            http://community.actinic.com/search.php?searchid=562500

Ditto for psp:
            http://community.actinic.com/search.php?searchid=562505

etc.

Comment

Nice one Duncan, the easy ones are the best

Comment

Good to know.

Doesn't help for 'V9' though so doesn't change the need. I'd rather be able to find V9 than do a phrase search.

Better still I guess would be to put google search on the forum. That does find results for V9 and would make it easier to find things using 'standard' search terms.

Mike

Comment

Well, the ability to filter by forum does help if you want to limit the search to a particular version of Actinic - but I can understand the lack of two letter searching being a pain.

OK - I'll leave the search as it is. Can anyone point me at a good example of sub-forums? I'll see if there's a way to start using these usefully.

Comment

Surely V9 as a search term is of little important as it will have a forum of its own soon.

Could we at least try the ADD search to see if it improves the search experience

Comment

Could we at least try the ADD search to see if it improves the search experience
                      Maybe if we knew what it did we could try it.

Mike

Comment

Maybe if we knew what it did we could try it.
                        I assume it wil improve searches cos you could search on
                        "Paypal" "Refund" and get all results where BOTH words are found.

At the mo a search on these 2 words bring up ALL post inc Paypal and all posts inc Refund, soewhere in amongt the irrelevant posts talking generally about refunds and the millions of posts on Paypal will be the one post you want that features both words.

That how I assume (and hope) it works.

It would be nice to have - (minus) searches too. So you could do a search on Paypal with minus Pro

to get all posts about Paypal that don't include Paypalpro

Comment

Ah, right. I thought that was what chris was talking about with the AND function.

If it was google I'd put a + in front of the keywords and everything would work just fine. I really think that Google is the best option for fixing search on the forum and according to vbulletin it's only a 5 minute job to integrate it.

Mike

Comment

How up to date would a Google seach on the site be?
                            Football Heaven

Comment

I really think that Google is the best option for fixing search on the forum and according to vbulletin it's only a 5 minute job to integrate it.
                              ah I hadn't appreciated this was possible, seems a good idea to me

How up to date would a Google seach on the site be?
                              google search would be searching the forum itself, not the pages of the forum indexed by google

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                                google search would be searching the forum itself, not the pages of the forum indexed by google
                                Ah, as in realtime search, not as in regular archived search.

Jeez, I'm useless today lol.
                                Football Heaven

Comment

Working...
                                X