An Actinic Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Actinic Book

Not related to the software itself...but how much easier would it be if there were some step-by-step guides or/and 'Actinic Bibles' to teach Actinic users, that should provide simple tutorials and definitions of all the terms. Every other software package I have used I have been able to buy a book for, and I don't mean 'Top Tips'...and to be honest, Actinic can be quite difficult to use at first, so the more help the better.

I can see then maybe less people would pay £300 to have Actinic training, but even with training it is still useful to have a book to refer to, without having to make loads and loads of posts on the forums and wait for replies. Plus I'd have a 5 hour trip to get to a training session.

A very frustrated Actinic user!

This has been discussed before. The problem is that the software changes so regularly that any publication would be quickly out of date and inadequate. The AUG is the nearest anybody has come to such a thing and as I understand it that is a major task to keep current
    The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

Thats not a bad idea and something that has come up from time to time.

I'd be interested in feedback, who would find an Actinic user bible helpful?

Ben
      Benjamin Dyer
      CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin Dyer View Post
        Thats not a bad idea and something that has come up from time to time.

I'd be interested in feedback, who would find an Actinic user bible helpful?

Ben
        Always good to have something to read on the lavvy
        Tracey

Comment

I think an indexed ebook combining the User Guides and the KB entries would be very useful for many people.

Comment

How much would you pay for one Jess, that is the crux of the matter?
            Why not get a support contract with someone that does know what they are doing instead and learn from what they do?
            You can't know everything, so focus on the areas you are good at and let experienced people fill in the gaps IMO.

Comment

Aye, a reference book'd be handy.
              Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Not a complete in-depth "bible", but maybe the help files in book form--you can read a book in the bath, on the beach, in bed or on the loo--but none of those places are convenient for even a laptop. Sometimes you just want to browse the help to refresh the memory before you try something new.
                Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

All software gets updated a lot though doesn't it...some more than others though I suppose. But most companies use this as a money-spinner, and keep bringing out the books at a cost. I think I would pay £30-£40 for a decent book!
                  The problem with a 'bible' alone is that you need to know the term in order to look it up. Thats why tutorials are also useful.
                  There's just something about being able to learn something on your own...keeps your mind working! And I find it easier to remember something I have read from a book, compared to some confused text on a web page or someone speaking some instructions to me. Its easier to understand the full picture.

Comment

What about an 'Actinic for Dummies'??
                    ActiveStock
                    On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
                    **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
                    Free 30 Day Trial
                    ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

First 50 pages by Lee http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=25664

Bikster
                      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

We have had similar problems and a more detailed user manual and tutorials is a must. Rather than a book in the physical sense it could be on-line and sections updated as changes occur - which would help with keeping it up to date. Something like this would have saved me a lot of grey hairs and much stress and frustration. The AUG is fine as far as it goes but can also be frustrating in what it does not say and I have spent long hours trying to iron out problems - mainly because of being a newbie.
                        The training courses were frankly inadequate - not that we knew that at the time and something more practical for the day to day running of the site is needed to get the best out of EC.
                        I have to say that currently we are so frustrated with EC that it is a wonderit has not gone out the window!!!

Comment

but maybe the help files in book form
                          how about an actinic wiki? updatable by anyone approved by actinic - they need to topend manage this and ensure that the exsisting documents (getting started guide, KB, AUG etc get incorporated)

TBH I looked at writing a Dummies style book for the launch of v8 but came to the conclusion that it was not financially viable, the cost of writing it and keeping it updated would not be covered by the limited number of sales.

if it were an online tool people can print the bits they require and sit by the pool and read it!

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                            how about an actinic wiki? updatable by anyone approved by actinic - they need to topend manage this and ensure that the exsisting documents (getting started guide, KB, AUG etc get incorporated)
                            +1
                            Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                            If it were an online tool people can print the bits they require and sit by the pool and read it!
                            ++1

Great idea

Comment

Sounds good. To get round the printing problem for away-from-computer reading...why not offer a simple A4 manual, bound with a plastic binder. It doesn't need to be anything too flashy, and would surely be cheap to produce and easy to replace and update...

Comment

Working...
                              X