Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filtering in SD2016

Hi guys...

I know filtering has been a topic on here more than a few times since it was introduced, but I really could do with some help before I go totally mad! I have been at this for 8 days now, and with SD tech support for 6 days and still no joy.

This may be a 1&1 issue, but I thought I would ask in case someone knows different.

Scenario... I want to do different filtering in the left sidebar depending which section the customer is in. For an example: In a Section called China I’m using a filter called china, with three custom variables in the product group called ChinaArtistName, ChinaBreedType and ChinaHobbyScale. Ok not a problem this uploads and the filter displays and works fine.

The problem starts when I then try to introduce another filter. For example: In a Section called Resin I’m using a filter called resin, with another three custom variables in the product group called ResinArtistName, ResinBreedType and ResinHobbyScale. The settings in the resin filter and resin custom variables and been set up identically to china filter and china custom variables which I know already work. BUT once I upload the new resin filter it works fine, but corrupts the filter being used in the china section.

I have tried according the advice seen on here compacting the database, refresh whole website, refresh whole website & the upload website etc. etc.

Can anyone help put an old man out of his misery who’s Doctor tells him to relax and take things easy. Obviously he’s never been self employed and used Sellerdeck!

Seriously any constructive advice would be gratefully received...

MAC.

I've seen something like this before in V14. In my case it was due to some of the products in the section having the wrong category (possibly set to 'Standard').

It might be worth going through all the products and making sure they have the right category selected.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mike :-)

This looks like it could be a 1&1 issue as I identified the problem over the weekend.

I used Sellerdecks own SiteExplorer to look at my snapshot running on their server where the filters work correctly, and then looked at my 1&1 server. I saw the Sellerdeck server had more then one pair of the AjaxProductList and AjaxProductDetails files present which are created when the ajax runs on each section page. However on my 1&1 server I only had one pair.

On the 1&1 server when the ajax runs it is deleting any previous created AjaxProductList and AjaxProductDetails files regardless that the files already present are for a different section. This means I can only run one filter on my website as the minute I install another filter it deletes the first filter.

I raised this ticket back on the 20th October, let support have remote access so they could check how I had set up my filters, sent them a snapshot of my site so they could check the filters created their end, set up a domain on the 1&1 with FTP access so they could do further tests. Now I'm not a Techie and this is the first site I have tried to write in SD2016, but once I look at their server I could identify the problem. How SD tech support couldn't find it I don't know!

Now its in the hands of the development team, fingers crossed...

Comment

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due...

Sellerdeck has resolved this issue and got all my filters working correctly. Even works after just a 'publish to web' instead of the refresh whole web which saves me a lot of time :-)

Comment

And the solution was .....?

Comment

Sorry Mike, this was the solution...

Make sure you have 'Options -MultiViews' in your .htaccess which I presume most people have if they use the standard 'Options +FollowSymLinks -Indexes -MultiViews' BUT also add 'CheckSpelling Off' to your .htaccess file.

Then in SD2016 go to 'Settings|Search & Filter Settings| Options ' and uncheck 'Enable Filtering Cache'

Now each of the different filters working correctly for each section.

Comment

Thanks Mark, I'm looking at introducing some custom filtering and this is good to know just in case I come across the same problem.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X