Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customer location-based pricing

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to use special pricing/discounts depending on where the customer is located?

For example, for a certain manufacturer, we can only offer discounts to customers who are located in the state of Indiana, USA. Is there a way to check the IP address, and display special prices based on that? The rest of the world would continue to view List prices.

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions.
    JP Automation, Inc. Distributor of factory automation, process heat and controls equipment: www.jpautomationinc.com
    Dakswan Automation. Controls panel design & fabrication and special wiring and engineering solutions: www.dakswan.com

I can't think of a straightforward way of creating unique prices for those customers but you should be able to apply a discount so that they received 10% off for example.

The way I would see this working is in two parts:

1. You want to display the special pricing so you need a script that will overwrite the current price on display if in Indiana (and maybe display a message saying 'Indiana Special Price'). This is quite easily done and you can check the geo IP using a free service such as http://geoip.nekudo.com/

2. You also need a script to apply the discount to the cart and checkout. I think this could be done by doing the same geo IP check and then applying a preset discount code to the session file. i.e. if you create a 10% site wide discount called 'Indiana Discount' with a code of 'XYZ' then you should be able to apply the discount code based on your IP geo lookup script.

I haven't done this and there are bound to be a few technical issues to work around but on the surface it looks quite feasible to do.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thank you Mike! That was very helpful and it makes sense logically. I will have a go at it and report back. Thanks again for your response
      JP Automation, Inc. Distributor of factory automation, process heat and controls equipment: www.jpautomationinc.com
      Dakswan Automation. Controls panel design & fabrication and special wiring and engineering solutions: www.dakswan.com

Comment

Working...
      X