Applying discounts 'per product'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying discounts 'per product'

I am developing a site that sells beads and findings. We have multiple discount levels at different trigger points based on quantity purchased but we need to make this work on a per product basis. The workaround is to create a different product group for each product to which the discount should apply. This really is not a viable option with 3000 beads!

Additionally, if you sell 25 of a cheap bead and only one of an expensive bead, you are giving an unfair discount on the expensive bead.

The beta of the site is at http://www.wimborne-web-site-design.co.uk
    Richard Gosler
    Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
    Dorset, UK

Hi Richard,

What version of Actinic are you using?

In the Business package you can use the quantity based discounting feature. You can set this up in the "Prices" tab.

The only other way I can think of setting up per product discounts is as you say, make loads of product groups or perhaps use permutations and have fixed quantities.
    Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Because of the way our client operates, we are going to use the permutations model which is fine (just more input work required) like so:

http://www.wimborne-web-site-design....og/info_3.html
      Richard Gosler
      Dorset, UK

Comment

Richard

There can be that many discounts? between 1% and 100% so can you not set up the product groups as

5%
        10%
        15%
        e.t.c

then assign the products to these groups, this will then allow you to give different discounts to different products so all products in group 5% will get 5% e.t.c then discount will only be given if those products that conform to that discount groups rules

Cheers
        Darren

Comment

If only it was this simple. For every single product, the greater the quantity you buy, the greater the percentage discount. Each specific discount needs to be applied to each product, so you can buy 100 of one item and get the full 35% off, but 2 of another similar item but get no discount.
          Richard Gosler
          Dorset, UK

Comment

Richard

I have to be honest, what you are asking for is not possible in any shopping cart, without, as you pointed out, manually assiging each product to an individual discount.

What you require is a bespoke written shopping site but even then someone will have to assign each product.

If i was running a business i would never set up discounts in this way, a discount is given normally because there is less work to do therefore some of the savings are passed to the customer and you still make a good margin on the order. There is no point giving discounts if it causes you alot of grief, the lowest level most people go is product type or brand for setting up discounts.

The only time we ever give a discount on a particular product is a face to face or over the telephone and of course special offers.

Good Luck

Darren

Comment

The previous site we produced for the same client was with a bespoke cart with some hard coded conditional statements applied in the product pages.

"If product x is equal to category y and quantity is greater than 25 then price less 20%"

That kind of thing. Not knowing the full workings of actinic, I wouldn't want to tinker with it.
              Richard Gosler
              Dorset, UK

Comment

"If product x is equal to category y and quantity is greater than 25 then price less 20%"
                I see - so what you need is a set of rules that are generic to various products, but you can not have a mix of products the rules are applied on a one to one basis - phew

OK and good luck, it might be worth talking to norman to see if he can help at all, it will cost but he might be able to work something.

Chris D could you add this to the wish list

Cheers
                Darren

Comment

Hi there

I see what you mean with this. In Actinic-speak you want to set up a range of discount triggers (like with the 'Order Level' discounts) but use them on a product group by product group basis.

I will pass this on to the development team.

Comment

Is it still not possible to apply a discount per product or product group - I want to discount wedding favours if 6 or more are purchased of a particular product - I have set this up but if additional products are added then the discount is applied to all products

Comment

Hi Hazel

I'm afraid the same limitations still apply to Sellerdeck Desktop. In Sellerdeck Cloud, discounting is rules-based. So it's a lot more flexible. OTOH, it's more complicated to set up and manage as a result.
                      Bruce Townsend
                      Ecommerce Product Manager
                      Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Working...
                      X