I have received an email from my payment provider or bank regarding SSLv3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have received an email from my payment provider or bank regarding SSLv3

You may have received a letter from your merchant bank telling you they will no longer support SSLv3 for example this one from Barclays with the following subject:-

URGENT SECURITY CHANGE NOTICE FOR E-COMMERCE CUSTOMERS

This email is a notice to advise that after 5th November, support for SSL encryption will be discontinued.

This is not about any 'SSL' certificate you may use on your web site, it is about encryption between two points, the two points of concern are the web server and your Payment Service Provider as using SellerDeck software you will not be connecting directly to your merchant bank.

SSLv3 is a very old protocol and has been phased out by many systems over the last few years in favour of TLS. The recent discovered flaws in SSLv3 have basically prompted everyone still catering for SSLv3 to drop it, in reality it's unlikely to have any real impact.

This article explains what action you need to take if you are a SellerDeck user:

If you are already successfully using SellerDeck Payments, there is no action required. Credit Call already uses TLS.

If you are already successfully using PayPal, there is no action required. PayPal already uses TLS.

If you are not using PayPal, SellerDeck Payments, UPS or GFS then you probably will not be affected by the change as the other PSP integrations in SellerDeck work a little differently and should not be affected.

Additionally if you have the Perl modules: Crypt::SSLeay and NET::SSL installed on your server then you should not have any issues as these support TLS.

How do I check if my hosting server has got Crypt::SSLeay and NET::SSL installed?

If you are using SellerDeck hosting, these modules are already installed, so there is no action to take.

If you are using non-SellerDeck hosting, you can check if these modules are installed using the “Website Analysis” tool built into SellerDeck:
    1. In SellerDeck, go to 'Help | Troubleshooting | Website Analysis'.
    2. Under “Perl Modules”, you can see what Perl modules are installed and the version installed.

If the modules are not installed on your server, you will need to contact your hosting company to arrange them to be installed.

If the hosting company does not agree to install the Perl modules, the only alternative is to change hosting provider.
Working...
X