Not enough memory for operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not enough memory for operation

Running V9 Business, Vista with 4 mb ram. Way back in 2007 I asked this question from the support team. -
    I use 'One Click Order Completion' and have the following checked-
    Check all lines
    Print data Entry report
    Send Email
    Mark invoice as Printed

When I action an order using 'Complete Order' I get the error 'Not Enough Memory for Operation'. The order transfers to the completed section but the data report doesn't print out. The report will print ok using the reprint button.

If I close and reopen Actinic the error doesn't come up for a few orders but then will show the error thereafter. I can close all other programs and it still does it. My RAM useage only shows maximum 40% during the operation.

I received the following reply but I never got to the bottom of the problem as I don't seem to be running out of memory. Just resigned myself to another Actinic error.

Please go down to the Windows system tray and right click on the time, select 'Task Manager' and when it opens move to the 'Performance' tab.
    Select an order and use the 'Complete Order' button, then check that the 'Commit Charge' does not exceed the combined memory from the 'Physical Memory', 'Available' and 'System Cache' monitors (you will see a summary across the bottom called 'Commit Charge' with the balance used against absolute total memory available).
    If the memory does exceed this (you should be able to see the bottom green monitors hitting the top), then you will need to close some open programs, stop a few resident services to enable the operation or increase the available virtual memory.

Kind Regards,
    G.W.Green
    Actinic Software Support

Sorry for the long query, any clues, guys

So are you saying that when you follow the instructions to check memory usage from support it only ever reaches 40%?

Sounds like there may be a memory leak if it only happens after a few 'ok' orders. Can you close down or kill unneeded processes to see what may be causing it?

I see you are using v903. There was a memory leak fixed in v904 to do with related products - perhaps that's related.

Fixed a memory leak that occurred when the Related Products feature was used. AC9-2072

Comment

Thanks for the reply Duncan

As i'm using Vista I'm running the memory usage gadget and it shows the amount of ram I'm using. When I complete an order it barely changes from the 30/40% which its using most of the time running Vista. When I look at the performance tab in the task manager, as support directed, the cpu usage barely blips when I complete an order, not even close to the maximum. When I first submitted the query with support I was running a slower machine on XP and even if I shut down all the processes running in the back round, apart from windows I still got the error. As I said before, if I closed Actinic down and then completed orders it would be ok for quite a few orders, thereafter even with a break it would error every time. It would be interesting if other people had this problem.

I will update to v9.04 tonight to see if it makes a difference.

Regards
      Martin

Comment

You say you've had this since 2007 - what release did this start to happen with then?
        And it's continued through to v903 then?

Comment

I was running 8.5 at the start and it hasn't made any difference which version I ran.

Comment

OK.

A search on Google for 'Not Enough Memory for Operation' suggests this is a crystal reports error. There are a few pages around with various suggestions including clearing out old temporary .rpt files.

I do wonder if it might be the same one as this from 2007.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=491232

oops, i solved this issue. The problem was that the default printer that was setup on my PC was no longer in use. I had to select the new printer as "default" in control panel and everything works ok now
            If not, (and probably not as the same problem applies to two PCs) it's worth going through the various search results and seeing if any of the suggestions work for you.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Good point Mike.
              Probably a printer configuration issue.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, chaps. Tha data entry report is the same but I have changed the Sales Analysis report using Crystal reorts to print out address labels. Could this be the problem?

Regards
                martin

Comment

Unlikely as that report is not the one that is seemingly causing the problem but try reverting back toi the original reports for a bit to see if it still happens.

Comment

Having searched in Google the one part soltion I found was to do with the print driver. Somebody else had the error coming up just printing documents. The solution was to go into the driver properties, advanced tab, and check the 'print directly to the printer' in stead of spooling the jobs. This now works in Actinic, it prints the report, except the printing window remains for the whole time the report is being printed. You can't go to the completed page or anything else. Its still quicker for the error to come up, go to the completed page, print the data entry report and print the labels. So not really a solution.

I will keep looking further but if anybody has any experience of this I would be grateful for advice.

Regards
                    Martin

Comment

I did see a post regarding this that had something to do with the wrong paper size for a printer being defined in the report (or something similar - I can't remember the exact details). It did strike me that if your label report had the wrong paper size defined this could feed an error back to crystal reports that generates the error.

It could be worth checking the paper size that's been defined in all the reports you're using, just in case this is what's causing it.

Do we know which report is causing the error? I can see that the data entry report is dying, but was wondering whether it could be the start of the label reports that is causing it to fall over. It seems unlikely as the spooling of the data entry entry report should have been completed by then, but it would be good to try and tie down which report was causing the error as that would limit the focus to one specific area.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I'm pretty sure its the data entry report as the label report is manually activated once the order has gone to the completed page. On the completed page, highlight the order, packing list, and standard report. I do this as I send all the items singly plus 1 for the cert of postage, so Each order uses a different no of labels.

Comment

Found that if I checked the 'print invoice' on the one click completion then the data entry report would print out as well. No error message. Decided easiest way was to swap the invoice and data entry reports around. So now I just print the invoice which is in fact the data enrty report. Not a fix but it works for me.

Comment

Forget what I said in the last post, it still goes into error. Crazy to sort whats wrong. Sometimes I process one order and it comes up with the error, process the next order and it prints it. No reason why it changes all the time. I'm at a loss now.

Comment

Working...
                            X