No announcement yet.

Eileen's guide to Google Analytics with V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have now sorted this out by restarting Actinic and Refreshing the website!

Comment

Question

Okay, the message 'do it like Eileen tells you to' has been used so many times that I have done it, and I trust it. (Thank you Eileen) Therefore, can someone just explain to me please:

How does Google Analytics know what pages I was on before the receipt page, if I don't put any tracking code on the previous pages.

I have code on all the regular site pages, and on the shop pages. Eileen's tutorial says you put code on the receipt page, but does not mention putting any code on the pages in the funnel. So how do they get tracked?

Update: Okay, nobody has replied to this yet so I'll refine the question. Is it that the other cart pages should have the code that goes on all the regular site pages? Following Eileen's instructions, this didn't happen as the cart pages' format is different to the rest of the shop pages. Should I now add the code to the cart pages, the same as the normal shop pages?
      Kind regards,
      Phil Benjamin

Want to de-stress as you use SellerDeck software?
      http://www.ursulajamesstore.com

Comment

Hi all

Finally got this working in my new V8 site. All apart from the ecommerce reporting showing any values. The rest of the tracking including funnel works great.

What I have noticed is that other tracking tages that I have set up for various different things are recording the values in the following format - and this was an actual order I put through for a total of £2.98

var order_amt = '%a32%2e98'

Yet the GA code is recording in the following format (I appreciate the VAT is split out in places but the other characters are much different)

utmprice = "£2.54";

<!--
        utmt = "UTM:T|" + utmordernumber + "|Main Store|£2.98|£0.44|0.00|" + utminvoice;
        -->

Does this at all indicate why GA might not be picking up my ecommerce figures?
        Last edited by robmob; 09-Oct-2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: Word correction
        Rob
        For all your car, motorcycle and marine care, cleaning and detailing products.

Comment

How very odd (well to me it is). When I have copied and pasted the text as it appears on the source view of the receipt page into this forum message it has changed from different characters into the actual values and the correct ones at that. Thus the code clearly is working correctly to pick up the values but I must have done something wrong so as GA is not reporting the values.

However I cannot for the life of me see where I have gone wrong. Any thoughts and pointers would be much appreciated. I have gone back over the code and compared it to what I have in my V8 pages umteen times.

Thanks
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robmob View Post

var order_amt = '%a32%2e98'

Yet the GA code is recording in the following format (I appreciate the VAT is split out in places but the other characters are much different)

utmprice = "£2.54";

<!--
            utmt = "UTM:T|" + utmordernumber + "|Main Store|£2.98|£0.44|0.00|" + utminvoice;
            -->

Does this at all indicate why GA might not be picking up my ecommerce figures?
            %a3 = £
            %2e = .

Looks like some google is doing maths on the figures as 2.98-0.44 = 2.54
            so it all adds up.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
            SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
            Custom Packages

Comment

Malcolm

Many thanks. Yep - agree the maths looks right but for some reason which I am yet to fathom none of the actual figures are showing in GA. Any thoughts?
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robmob View Post
                Malcolm

Many thanks. Yep - agree the maths looks right but for some reason which I am yet to fathom none of the actual figures are showing in GA. Any thoughts?
                Sorry I never got this bit working in V8 either, I turned off analytics a few weeks back after finding it was adding anything up to 3 secs for page load at certain times of day. I now do my own thing using customised AwStats to track the checkout conversion. Not as easy as Google but the more people use Google the slower it will get unless they keep throwing resources at it.

I also have concerns with using google without telling customers that you are allowing google to track their data, who knows where it goes.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                Custom Packages

Comment

V9 upgrade - do I need to remove Eileen's Code

I am just about to upgrade to V9.03. I have previously installed Eileens solution in my V8 site. I have set up a seperate copy of V9 (rather than upgrade my V8 instalation and have imported the V8 site snapshot into V9.

I am about to set up the Google Analytics in V9 but am wondering if, before i do so, if I need to reverse steps laid out in Eileens excellent guide?

Many thanks

Rob
                  Rob

Comment

Yes - otherwise you will duplicate the stats. I reversed these out myself when I upgraded.
                    Regards
                    David

Comment

Does anyone know whether this will work with the new Google Analytics script that is in the following format?

Code:
                      <script type="text/javascript">
                      var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
                      document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
                      </script>
                      <script type="text/javascript">
                      try {
                      var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-XXXXXXX-X");
                      pageTracker._trackPageview();
                      } catch(err) {}</script>
                      I believe this script replaced the Urchin code?

Comment

Google Analytics new code on V8

[QUOTE=mikejdavies;276397]Does anyone know whether this will work with the new Google Analytics script that is in the following format?

Hi Mike, Sorry this is not an answer to your question but a PLEA for someone to answer it!
                        We are running V8 on Actinic Hosting [ www.food4myholiday.com ]and our e-commerce guy added the new GA script to all pages a month ago. All seemed well but GA is reporting 76% direct traffic and non of our known referers are registering although they do show in AWStats??
                        I have other non-e-commerce sites that work fine and server stats / GA are comparable but this is all new to me and I have no idea where to start Pleeeze SmartGuys & Gals help us newbies! Thanks, Peter

Comment

Working...
                        X