No announcement yet.

Hotmail emails bouncing with 1and1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've not seen any emails bounced back, but I am advised by colleagues that lots of people are not getting the confirmation emails (we don't use PayPal). We used to get a few customers reporting not receiving the email (we have a copy sent to ourselves and often we don't get that copy either - so that must be something else)

For one order, a customer called to complain (mid December 2013), and I noticed that we sent an email via the Software (via mrvnet.kundenserver.de) to ask a question on the order. The customer did not receive the confirmation email, and did not receive the email with our question. How can both not be received? The customer had a hotmail account so I started to have my suspicions...

Our emails are done via Google Apps, and we have 3 users with a few groups linked to them.
    - Where are the bounced emails going?

Thank you

Comment

Bounced emails are returned to the sender.

An incorrect email address should also get a bounced message come back.

If emails don't arrive in customers inbox, but no bounced message, then my best guess would be that they went into his spam folder.

If you don't get the copy email then it's not being sent. In this case clearly not a hotmail issue.

It sounds like you might have several issues at work here, but the standard hotmail problem will be evident from the bounced message that gets returned. If you're not getting these then it's not this problem (unless you have a problem with your 'from' email address).

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I've found the bounced emails. You are right, they are in the SPAM folder.

Google have them all with:

"Why is this message in Spam? It seems to be a fake "bounce" reply to a message that you didn't actually send."

- I have noticed most of the emails sent form the website goes either to SPAM (users) or requires a Moderator to check (groups)

Looking at some, they are hotmail.com hotmail.de

So we are having that problem.

Comment

Mike - are you sure that the problem is specific to the site hosting server, and not the 1&1 relay email server?

I ask this because there seem to be a number of us in the same boat, which implies we are all on the same shared server. There is someway of checking whose on the same server as us, but I can't remember how to do it!

For the record, the hotmail block seemed to lift around Jan 2 for us, but last time this happened, the block was on again a few days later, so I'm waiting to see.

Have you used the 3rd party email solution that you mentioned yourself Mike?
          I tried switching the email settings to our own alternative email provider (BT), which only offered authenticated settings, but could not get this to work.

Comment

are you sure that the problem is specific to the site hosting server, and not the 1&1 relay email server?
            Pretty sure. Look at the IP address of the blocked server in the bounced message and do a dns lookup on your domain name. You should see that the blocked IP address is that of your web server.

i.e. look at this bit in the bounced email:

Unfortunately, messages from 212.227.126.190 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list.
            You might find that this doesn't work with the bounced email IP as certainly in my case my IP has changed since the problem went away. I do wonder if 1and1 have assigned me my own IP address to fix the problem.

To check who else is using the same server you need to do a reverse IP lookup.

Mike

PS. Is anyone else seeing a delay of several seconds when sending emails via the sellerdeck desktop? It's only been happening to me since I came back after Christmas (when the hotmail problem went away).

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I've noticed the delay since coming back after Christmas too. I did receive an email from 1&1 on 18th December saying all their email servers would be using updated SSL encryption as of the beginning of 2014 - maybe this has something to do with it?

John
              John Ennals
              www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                Unfortunately, messages from 212.227.126.190 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list..
                For anyone who gets that IP address in the bounced email it is the IP address of
                Non-authoritative answer:
                190.126.227.212.in-addr.arpa name = moutng.kundenserver.de
                which is part of the open relay mail system on 1and1.

This url http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/we...on-web-server/ will list other sites using the same server as yourself, just enter your web site url into and it will return a list of sites.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                Custom Packages

Comment

Any solutions? or workaround?

We have copies of the order confirmations and some are sent more than once.

Also emails sent via the software are very slow (10 to 30 seconds per email),
                  sending an end of day batch of emails takes ages...

Comment

Since the delayed emails have started I've been having issues with duplicating orders. When the confirm button is click at the end of the checkout it hangs and customers are going back and ordering again.

This is documented on another thread and once again an issue with 1amd1. I have a shared server with Fasthost and wondering wether I should move my site across as I seem to get nothing but problems with 1and1 lately.
                    http://www.marionvillemodels.com http://www.skymonster.com

Comment

Working...
                    X