Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I import a blank field?

Hi,
    I am tidying up my data in a csv file in Excel but when I re-import the data, the previously empty Component Name HTML field is being populated with the component name. We are using the attribute Name HTML instead because it looks better. My question is how can I make Sellerdeck understand that this field needs to be empty? Is there a special character I can put in the csv?
    I have tried NULL, "NULL", an empty cell, a supposed hidden character (Alt+127 or something).
    Thanks,
    Steve

Bump.

Almost two years to the day and I am still looking for an answer.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comment

Answering my own question, you can use "__UseEmptyValue__"
      Not sure it will work for every data field but worked for what I needed.

Comment

A single space would work too. You'd get the space displaying on the page but it would probably not be noticeable.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Steve,

By entering ANY data the cell is no longer NULL, as it contains the data.

I'm assuming the import is managed via a CSV?

Ensure that the cell type is set correctly before you export your CSV.

If the data you're importing is used as component > component name ([dbo].[ProductProperties].[sString1]) then this field can not contain null values - it is mandatory data.

Can you please confirm the exact location of the text you are attempting to update?

Alternatively - Just pull through the other variable in your design.
          Matt. M - SMR Enterprises Ltd.

Comment

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I tried using a space previously and once imported the fields remained unchanged and still contained the original data. I can't remember what I was trying to update, but it could have been a mandatory field as I was working with components at that time.

The _UseEmptyValue_ has worked brilliantly for emptying text fields using a csv import, but this doesn't work for everything. Image names for example simply get overwritten with "_UseEmptyValue_" and then understandably errors are thrown up.

In my case I was emptying a text variable I had added, but I would be interested to know how a cell should be formatted in the csv file if it simplifies matters?

Thanks again,
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X