No announcement yet.

Eileen's guide to Google Analytics with V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am having problems getting this working...

I am getting the error message (from Firefox, but present in IE too) of:
    __utmSetTrans is not defined.
    ChrisL
    skype chrisjlyon

Comment

I hope it's a simple problem and just something I have missed
      Your analytics code is in the wrong place. Follow the very clear instructions on the Analytics website.

Comment

I am having problems getting this working...
        Remove what you have done and follow the instructions on the Analytics website.

Comment

Fair enough: the instructions are VERY clear. Made the usual mistake of 'phoning Actinic Support, who 'phoned back the following day (is it actually worth what they charge?) and, as they hadn't a clue themselves, was advised to follow the very clear instructions in Eileen's post, ...which I'm sure works in very many cases.

So there you go

The most annoying thing is that it was simplicity itself to get conversion tracking work in versions of Actinic before this one.
          ChrisL
          skype chrisjlyon

Comment

Fair enough: the instructions are VERY clear
            I dont use this forum guide TBH - I use the Analytics website where its just a case of copy and paste - works first time every time. Also you keep up to date with any changes that occur.

Comment

Does anyone have explicit instructions on how to do this
              I cannot make it much more clear than what is on the Analytics website - if you cannot follow it then may I suggest you contact a designer who can talk you through it or do it for you.

Comment

Hi - I have an issue regarding product names when using permutations.

All the products on my site are clothes and each has a permutation named "Seasalt" which has attributes of "Colour" and "Size".

When I buy a product and land on the receipt page the data that is passed to Google is:

UTM:T|DT21EX10000011|Online Shop|£12.94|£1.93|£2.50|Birmingham<BR>||United Kingdom<BR> UTM:I|DT21EX10000011| |seasalt - colour: aubergine, size: one size||£8.51|1
                It appears that the product name is overwritten with the component details and the product reference with a space.

I have looked at the html code and can see that <Actinic:Variable Name="ProductNameOnline"/> is parsed twice for the product. The first time as the product name and the second time as the product details.

Anybody any ideas on how I can get the product name passed over?
                Regards
                David

Comment

For anyone who has the same issue as myself on the previous post - this is how I got it working as I want it.

I changed the following in Product Line Row from:

<script type="text/javascript">
                  <!--
                  utmprice = "NETQUOTEVAR:PRICE";
                  utmi += " UTM:I|" + utmordernumber + "|" + utmprodref + "|" + utmproduct + "||" + utmprice + "|" + utmquantity ;
                  -->
                  </script>
                  to

<!--
                  utmprice = "NETQUOTEVAR:PRICE";
                  utmi += " UTM:I|" + utmordernumber + "|" + utmprodref + "|" + utmproduct + "||" + utmprice + "|" + utmquantity ;
                  utmprodref = "";
                  utmproduct = "";
                  -->
                  </script>
                  and I changed the following in Cart Product Details

<!--
                  utmquantity = "NETQUOTEVAR:QUANTITY";
                  utmprodref = "NETQUOTEVAR:PRODREF";
                  utmproduct = "NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME";
                  -->
                  </script>
                  to

<!--
                  utmquantity = "NETQUOTEVAR:QUANTITY";
                  if(typeof(utmprodref)=="undefined" || utmprodref==""){
                  utmprodref = "NETQUOTEVAR:PRODREF";
                  }
                  if(typeof(utmproduct)=="undefined" || utmproduct==""){
                  utmproduct = "NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME";
                  }
                  -->
                  </script>
                  which gave me what I wanted:

UTM:T|DT21EX10000025|Online Shop|£63.29|£9.43|£4.50|Birmingham<BR>||United Kingdom<BR>
                  UTM:I|DT21EX10000025|07C-1006-cochineal|seasalt hearsay tee shirt||£17.02|1
                  UTM:I|DT21EX10000025|07C-4007-beetle|seasalt helix half zip||£29.79|1
                  UTM:I|DT21EX10000025|160-WI-BPEN2|Seasalt Recycled Pens||£2.55|1
                  Regards
                  David

Comment

Could anybody please tell me what modifications I would need to do if I use a shared SSL certificate?

Also I am really confused by the

Goal URL: /receipt.html
                    Step 1 : /Checkout Page 0.html Select Invoice Location
                    Step 2 : /Checkout Page 1.html Invoice Address
                    Step 3 : /Checkout Page 2.html Select Payment Method
                    Step 4 : /PSP Bounce Page.html go to PSP

bits, from what I can see Actinic only uses http://www.domain.co.uk/cgi-bin/ca000001.pl

does "Checkout Page 0.html" really exist? Also if I am using a shared SSL certificate should we just miss out step 4 or is there another page we can track?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
                    Blog, Twitter, Facebook
                    Actinic Ecommerce, CMS and Video production

www.petraboase.com
                    www.progrow.co.uk
                    www.christopherpiperwines.co.uk
                    www.cheeksandcherries.co.uk
                    www.skatewarehouse.co.uk

Comment

Hi - on any pages using SSL - those starting with https:// - you would need to use:

<script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
                      instead of

<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
                      If you go to the design tab in Actinic and choose from the dropdown "Select Page Type" you will see the Receipt and Checkout Pages. So the step1 ,2 etc. refer to the code associated with the tempates for these pages types.
                      Regards
                      David

Comment

Problems with Google Analytics

Hi guys

Re: www.greytowersinteriors.co.uk

Please could someone help? - I have been through Eileen's excellent guide many times, checking the code very carefully (I'm using the Smart layout).

However, I cannot get any results at all on Analytics? I have checked several times over several weeks and no hits are registered (even though 'receiving data' is mentioned).

If anyone has had a similar experience, any advice would be most gratefully received.

Cheers.

Kind Regards

John

Comment

John - have you checked that you have entered your google analytics account number correctly i.e. _uacct = "UA-xxxxxxx-1";
                          Regards
                          David

Comment

Hi David

Thanks for the reply - yes, good point - I checked the UA number quite a few times and it is right.

Kind Regards

John

Comment

On Google analytics on the analytics settings page, is it showing a green tick next to receiving data for the website profile?
                              Regards
                              David

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
                                Looks like you haven't implemented the block's properly.

Copy and paste this code over your existing analytics script just above the </head> tag on your brochure home page. I have inserted your analytics tracking number.

Code:
                                <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
                                _uacct = "UA-2424628-1";
                                <actinic:block if="%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Section%22%29">
                                urchinTracker('<actinic:variable name="PageType" />.html');
                                </actinic:block>
                                <actinic:block if="%28%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Section%22%29">
                                urchinTracker();
                                </actinic:block>
                                </script>
                                If it didn't look like that before you C&P'd then you need to step through Eileen's guide again and put all the blocks in where they belong.

I have just used this guide on my latest site and analytics is happy as ten.

Of course, the other reason why you may not be seeing any stats is that your site may not be getting any traffic
                                "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X