No announcement yet.

New Checkout Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One minor concern I have with the confirmation page it that I don't want it to look too much like a receipt page, particularly if the payment method options are positioned below the fold, as I could see a very small number of customers thinking they had completed the purchase and not making payment.
    My fear is probably not justified and a bit of styling and positioning of the payment methods should remove this possibility.
    Darren Guppy
    Golf Tee Warehouse
    Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

I agree Darren, the usability and look of the page could be improved vastly, i think the important bit is that we have or are very close to having all the bits in place to do what we want with. Many people changed the order of the class selection on the old checkout so further up in the decisions, i liked that idea and this moving around of items is still possible which i will certainly look to do.

Other things like a much better hide/show cart button are important in my eyes.

Comment

I agree Darren, the usability and look of the page could be improved vastly,
        just try testing the usability with a colour scheme with a black background.

Comment

I am not sure how they look on a clean install but the Postcode LookUp buttons on my test site don't look like buttons and so may get overlooked, they look like a text comment in a box rather than an obvious button inviting you to click.
          Darren Guppy
          Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Is it not possible to detect if the browser has Javascript enabled and if it isn't, direct them to an 'old style' checkout but if they do have Javascript enabled, send them off to a new streamlined checkout?

In my experience both as a user and developer I see some very clever and very dumb checkout procedures around and about. Frankly, the majority of ecommerce checkout systems are going for the 'graceful degradation' scenario, i.e. just as developers (should) design for the best browsers available today and if people are browsing using older browsers then their experience is cut-down yet still usable. No-one designs 'for' Internet Explorer 6 any more, designers design 'for' Mozilla and Webkit-based browsers that offer overall better user experience through adopted technologies, i.e. HTML5 and CSS3. People will see a slightly different version if visiting using Internet Explorer 7+, say, which doesn't support a lot of emerging technology.

Actinic should also do this IMHO. There is a definite need for the checkout procedure in this software to be completely overhauled as it's largely remained untouched for years.

Just my 2p worth.

Comment

Originally posted by eighteentee View Post
              Is it not possible to detect if the browser has Javascript enabled and if it isn't, direct them to an 'old style' checkout but if they do have Javascript enabled, send them off to a new streamlined checkout?
              Thats exactly what happens. If JS is disabled you don't get the delivery address hiding, you also get the PSP bounce page.

Stats show 5% of browsers have JS turned off. I can imagine there would be some pretty angry merchants and customers if the 5% were ignored.
              Benjamin Dyer
              CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

Originally posted by Golf Tee Warehouse View Post
                I am not sure how they look on a clean install but the Postcode LookUp buttons on my test site don't look like buttons and so may get overlooked, they look like a text comment in a box rather than an obvious button inviting you to click.
                I had a play with this last night and no luck in changing it, even making this button grey would be a start. So if anyone can shed some light on how to achive this it would be a great help.

Maybe not right now but you know this will be asked time and time again when V10 is out

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                  Maybe not right now but you know this will be asked time and time again when V10 is out
                  Leave it with me, I'll take a look.

Ben
                  Benjamin Dyer

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin Dyer View Post
                    Stats show 5% of browsers have JS turned off. I can imagine there would be some pretty angry merchants and customers if the 5% were ignored.
                    This is actually going down year on year, its quite scary considering it used to account for more than 20% had js disabled

Comment

Ben
                      Thanks Ben - im guessing it will be in the js but thats beyond me

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                        This is actually going down year on year, its quite scary considering it used to account for more than 20% had js disabled
                        Its an odd one, I spent some time looking into the stats for my wife's store last night. Its started to creep up running at about the 7% mark. Its still important enough to make sure it works without it enabled, most of us spend ages looking for even the slightest sales uplift so mustn't be neglected.
                        Benjamin Dyer

Comment

Its an odd one, I spent some time looking into the stats for my wife's store last night. Its started to creep up running at about the 7% mark.
                          On my site I have also noticed a slight increase.

Aug'09-Nov'09 - 4.93%
                          Dec'09-Jan'10 - 5.01%
                          Feb'10-Mar'10 - 5.74%

At least the use of IE6 has now dropped below 8%.
                          Darren Guppy
                          Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Its started to creep up running at about the
                            There is always the scare mongering about hackers and js, thats probably why years ago it was 20% and maybe thats why there a slight increase again.

Interesting thought could this increase be connected to win 7 i dont know just a guess

Comment

We took a look, we raised a bug. The PCAnywhere integration writes the html elements via a script, which explains why you cant edit it.

I'll post this over at Get Satisfaction to keep it in a single place.

Thanks for pointing it out.
                              Benjamin Dyer

Comment

The PCAnywhere integration writes the html elements via a script.
                                I assume that should read 'PostCode Anywhere'.
                                Darren Guppy
                                Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Working...
                                X