X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by feemish View Post
    Hi Malbro,

Thanks for your reply.

I changed the permissions of stock.fil to 0666 and the 'add to cart' button started working!

So thanks for that. However as you say, this isnt a proper fix, so I have changed it back. But hopefully this points to where the issue lies?

Best Regards
    If making that change works then you have a hosting problem, your web site is either running under group or public permissions instead of owner and that is down to your host. The stock.fil file will be accessed by the perl code which resides in cgi-bin so either the whole site or the possibly just the cgi-bin is not running with owner permissions, you will need to contact your hosts support to see if they can fix this for you.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

We're actually running this server ourselves using WebHostManager (WHM) and CPanel. So we have full access to the backend.

The public_html folder for this site on our server is set to 0750

owner is <username>
      group is <nobody>

which I believe is standard.

The cgi-bin is set to 0755
      owner is <username>
      group is <username>

which again is standard.

We do have support though as well... Would you mind explaining what you think I should be asking? Or what you think is wrong? as the set up seems correct?
      Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

We do have support though as well... Would you mind explaining what you think I should be asking? Or what you think is wrong? as the set up seems correct?
        Your changes to the permissions point to the Actinic processes on the server running in either group or public rather than as a system or owner process. You can narrow this down by checking whether 664 allows the site to work, or 646. If 664 your site is running under group and if 646 your site is running as public, if you have access to the back end you may be able to check the processes (via command line) to see how the actinic server files are running. The shell commands is 'ps' which gives a list of all running processes and their details such as owner however you may not have that level of access.

It is the perl files which need to run as processes with system or owner access.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Hi,

After a brief chat with support they have suggested turning on suexec and suphp for the server..
          Both are set to off at the moment.
          I'm a bit worried about this.
          I would recommend turning on suexec and suphp as long as you are aware of the implications of doing so. Turing it on will no likely just fix all your issues and will in fact likely break the site until you have the permissions set correctly.

You will need to ensure that all files under your web root are owned as user:user and that files have permissions of 644 and directories of 755.

Also, suphp will fail any requests for a file that have permissions of
          777 as being insecure.
          Does anyone have any experience of this? It doesnt seem like the right way to go to me?
          Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Finding this quite frustrating now.
            Actinic support are very very slow in responding.
            and are just saying things like 'have you tried purge and refresh'

Can I summarise, this is an unedited 'silver theme' with the sample products.
            So a default store. I only bought it 6 weeks ago. v10.0.0

I am trying to upload to a dedicated vps;
            cPanel 11.25.0-S46156 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9
            CENTOS 5.2 i686

All up to date... stable release of cPanel... no modifications.. all very much a standard linux server.

The actinic network settings all pass. The site uploads without giving errors.

pressing 'add to cart' button gives the error;
            Error: Error opening the index '../acatalog/stock.fil'. Permission denied. The web site is probably being updated.

So much for actinic 'working out the box'
            Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

So much for actinic 'working out the box'
              Sorry you feel that way, but I have uploaded out of the box silver theme to several sites all of which work fine, this is not an Actinic problem.

Who is hosting your site?

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Hi Malbro,

Sorry, getting a bit frustrated as I said.

Memset are the hosts. The server is a fairly new bog standard linux vps server.

Well, the idea of Actinic, as far as I was aware, was that you didnt need to be an expert to get it working. I'm not, so I dont want to go changing Suexec or Suphp or even checking permissions on files.. I want to press upload and have it work.

You can say its not an Actinic problem, but if it wont work, or tell me why it wont work, then I would say it is an Actinic problem.

The actual error may be down to server permissions I agree... but as an 'out of the box' solution it should be prepared for differing errors I think..

and as I say, it passes all the network tests and doesnt present me with any errors.

We also checked all the parameters onthe 'mail to host' email (attached)Mail2hst.txt theyre all ok.

perl is 5.8.8
                POST to cgi is OK
                Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

You could always test your site on an Actinic trial server to feel confident that it is a server problem.

Comment

Hi Duncan,

I tried the actinic trial hosting and yes it worked fine.
                    This is indeed a server / permissions issue.
                    Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

and sorry malbro if I got a bit ars*y.. I was getting a bit annoyed.
                      I've calmed down now...
                      but still havent found the solution..
                      but as you were explaining, it certainly is an issue with the server not running the perl in the cgi-bin because it somehow thinks it doesnt have permission.
                      Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Thought it could be the ASCII / BINARY upload problem, but have ruled that out.
                        We're using Pure-FTPD which allows both.
                        Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

I have the same problem!

Hi
                          Like you I have had exactly the same issue. Having spent days altering permissions on the server and generally getting really frustrated with v10. I decided that as the stock.fil file seemed to be the main culprit I would switch off the online stock control, BINGO! the site works perfectly. This obviously isn't a solution as I need this function to work for me but hopefully it might give some clues to a proper solution.
                          Ideas anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by sendmore View Post
                            Hi
                            Like you I have had exactly the same issue. Having spent days altering permissions on the server and generally getting really frustrated with v10. I decided that as the stock.fil file seemed to be the main culprit I would switch off the online stock control, BINGO! the site works perfectly. This obviously isn't a solution as I need this function to work for me but hopefully it might give some clues to a proper solution.
                            Ideas anyone?
                            The web software needs read and write access to the stock file as explained in previous posts, I have had stock control operating successfully since the start of V10 beta trials using the standard settings so it is not the Actinic software itself but a combination of host and Actinic software. Have you tried Actinic support to see if they can get an answer for you.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Hi Sendmore,

Thanks. I was starting to think it was just me! Yes, turning off stock control sorts out the issue and the store works fine! However, like you, I need the stock control feature.

Hi Malbro,

I raised a ticket about this issue a week ago. I've supplied them with all the details of my server. The only thing I've heard back is that they are looking into it.

Our Linux server is only 12 months old. Running stable releases of CPanel. It holds 20 or so sites all running without problem. There is nothing unusual in the server set-up at all.

We've also spent hours fiddling with permissions..
                              Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Hi Feemish
                                My hosting provider has managed to make it work. They have specifically set extended ACL's for the Apache user and made the acatalog folder writable by the webserver. Once I confirm it is fully working they are going to narrow down the permissions and make it secure. Whether this is a good solution or not I don't know servers are not my area.
                                Comments anyone please?

Comment

Working...
                                X