BUGS Being Experienced with Windows 7 64-Bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucet View Post
    IMO it would be best to pursue these through the usual support channels, so that they are seen in detail by the most technically experienced people, and we can gather as much relevant information as possible.
    I understand your point, these things need to start of a forum to prove they exist and not just one person problems though surely? I think we are getting towards the stage of identifying these as bugs. The forum is used heavily, the other which isn't even linked to from here from what i can see, is exposure to the minority and that's not what an OS related issue needs IMO. We need floods of information, not droughts, for me it's gotta be with where the masses live and that's on here. If anyone from actinic wants to move them over, feel free to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      Can anyone reporting problems also let us know what specific version of Windows 7 you are using and also anything pertinent about your setup.
      When i get to this machine i will take a peak, bit busy these days to get bogged down with Actinic issues im affraid as this system is in one location and im not there everday but when i am ill post back

Comment

I'm running W7 Pro 32bit 4Gb RAM Dual Core with Actinic v7, 8, 9 and 10. All versions are running well with very minor issues.

With v10 - here's the issues I see - I don't think the problems listed are only on 64 bit but perhaps are more prevalent than the 32bit:

1. Upload - On rare occasions I've had to restart the upload because the window has just closed but click again and it seems to upload ok.
        2. Best Sellers - Same issue (known bug)
        3. Compact - Has always been OK
        4. Red Cross - Never had this happen
        5. I can't remember seeing a dmp file that wasn't directly related to a js or php page error.
        6. Sites.ini - not tried
        7. Overwrite homepage - Not seen this happen.

Generally I find v10 on W7 much more stable than v9 on XP. There are obviously some issues with some installations or combinations of something going on in some W7 versions or installations.

Comment

Quad core with 8GB ram for me, when you installed did you set it up for all users or just yourself and what UAC settings do you have. Mine was brand new system, that's the worry, over time surely lots of people will buying a similar setup. Could quad core cause an issue you think?

Comment

Mine is set up for all users and UAC is set to one level above never notify.
            I always get asked if I 'want to allow the following program....' each time I launch an Actinic version and they run as Administrator. Other than that it was a clean W7 Pro install onto a new hard drive.

Did you load W7 yourself or was it preloaded?

Comment

Mine is set the same as yours and was pre-installed when I got the machine

Comment

Maybe there's some difference between a preloaded OEM and a separately bought W7 DVD.

Comment

mine was installed from a bought win 7 pro dvd, and I have the bugs, so that doesnt seem to be a factor.

Comment

Is yours a Quad core or dual core Clive? Not that it should matter but it seems Actinic is acting differently on some machines for some reason.

Comment

We have a new quad core 8mb W7 64 bit computer with only one user and no passwords etc.

We always have to grant permission for Actinic to load but apart from that few problems that Actinic are not aware of such as Epos / Web not synching and the red cross with beep at closing.

Regards, Robert
                      Robert Johnston
                      www.gentlemans-shop.com

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                        That's rather a long list to try to address via the Community. I think they need to be pursued via the usual support channels.

Version 10 has been tested extensively on Windows 7, both internally and during the beta program, and at this stage we are not aware of any unresolved issues that are proven to be Win 7 related. I'm not making any assumptions and won't be offering a cash prize for any discoveries, but I think at least the majority of the issues posted here are coincidental to the use of Win 7.
                        Sorry to say it Bruce, but I think Actinic's apparent attitude of 'lets see what happens' absolutely typifies the company's attitude to their customers and their experiences and I really don't think it's good enough.
                        In my book, if Lee says something is so then you guys at Actinic should sit up and take real notice; Lee is one of the most experienced users and developers of Actinic around and to either ignore or put to one side his experiences, warnings and advice is to make a mistake.
                        For my part, I'm running W7 64-bit Ultimate on a new machine (Xeon processor) and have deliberately NOT tried to upgrade our live sites to V10 as it's clear there are issues with Actinic v10 and W7. (Actinic v9.05 works just fine on all our XP and W7 machines)
                        Does it really need repeating that those of us that are USERS of Actinic have businesses to run and simply do not have the time, nor need the distraction of battling with [any] software simply to make things operate correctly.
                        We know and understand all the excuses (or reasons, depending on one's perspective) - indeed one of our team is a professional software code-writer and debugger - about producing bug-free software, but that doesn't negate the notion that a given software producer should make certain their programmes just simply work with the world's most popular operating system, pretty well above all else.
                        Kind Regards
                        Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

I think they need to be pursued
                          I'm not making any assumptions
                          IMO it would be best to pursue these through the usual support channels, so that they are seen in detail by the most technically experienced people, and we can gather as much relevant information as possible.
                          In what way does any of that constitute 'lets see what happens'?

We fully intend to investigate these issues as quickly as possible, so that we can identify the causes and hopefully find resolutions.
                          Bruce Townsend
                          Ecommerce Product Manager
                          Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Is yours a Quad core or dual core Clive?
                            my chip is the i5 750 which is quad core.

so maybe this could be a factor?! I dont know.

I must say Bruce, it does feel like these issues arent being urgently addressed.
                            Support sort of brushed me off by saying we know about this and hope to fix it in a future release... er... ok...

Comment

Clive, we do have the error on exit logged, and we've narrowed it down to a specific area of code, but we don't yet know exactly what causes it. That one is definitely not either v10 or Windows 7 specific. I use Vista and have seen it myself, though only once. It was first reported in v9 - also by Darren in this very thread - and we have seen it occasionally in testing, with both v9 and v10, mostly on Vista. It seems to happen only on certain PCs, and except in your case, only intermittently.

I know it's annoying and disconcerting. But it only happens when you're exiting the software, so it doesn't interfere with your work; and we have not found any harmful effect, neither has anyone reported any. So it's hard for us to make it a top priority over some of the other issues we are working on.

Are you using v9? If you are, and you don't have the issue with that, is it on the same PC that you are trialling v10 on?
                              Bruce Townsend
                              Ecommerce Product Manager
                              Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Hi Bruce,

I realise a bug like this must be extremely frustrating for you guys.

I dont use v9 or any other previous actinic.

This is my first experience of actinic, and as I'm sure you understand, a program that always closes with an error beep does not inspire me to trust it with my future ecommerce aspirations. I like lots of things about actinic, especially the fact it uses static html pages. But the error beep on closing and the fact that the 'upload to website' button often fails first time are both extremely disconcerting. It just doesnt 'feel' stable. Sorry, but I cant be dealing with just ignoring these issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X