Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using PHP in Fragments

Hi

First off I know nothing about PHP so please excuse my ignorance.

I want to add a PHP knowledge base to a web site.

The software instructions say to create a php page on web site and insert php code.

However before I purchase the software I though I best make sure it would work so created a brochure page and renamed it faq.php then inserted a block php="true" in a fragment with some sample php as below -

!!<
    <actinic:block php="true">
    <? print("Hello") ?>
    </actinic:block>
    >!!

However I get a parse error on line 2 when published live.

Help please!

Originally posted by simplydigital View Post
    Hi

First off I know nothing about PHP so please excuse my ignorance.

I want to add a PHP knowledge base to a web site.

The software instructions say to create a php page on web site and insert php code.

However before I purchase the software I though I best make sure it would work so created a brochure page and renamed it faq.php then inserted a block php="true" in a fragment with some sample php as below -

!!<
    <? print("Hello") ?>
    >!!

However I get a parse error on line 2 when published live.

Help please!
    Actinic publishes html files, you can't run PHP inside html files other than by putting it inside a script tag.

<script src="../plugins/viewWishList.php" type="text/javascript" language="javascript"> </script>

not strictly kosher as the script is defined as javascript but it does work..

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

!!<
      <? print("Hello") ?>
      >!!
      The actinic:block stuff does the same job within Actinic as the PHP <?php and ?>. So try it without these. E.g.
      Code:
      !!<
      print("Hello");
      >!!
      Note also that PHP statements need a ; at the end.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for your help Norman

This works, so I pressume the knowledge base will as well.

Steven

Comment

The software instructions say to create a php page on web site and insert php code
          I was answering your question about a bit of PHP being parsed by Actinic. This is PHP that's executed by Actinic when it's building that particular page. You probably saw "Hello" on the page when Previewing because Actinic executed that PHP and incorporated its output into the generated page.

However you want something different. You need a big PHP program to run on a particular Brochure page. In this case, name the brochure page so that it ends in .php and include this code on it.
          Code:
          !!<
          <?php
           print("Hello from the web server"); 
          ?>
          >!!
          Now you won't see anything when Previewing but should when you view that page on your web-server.

If you're confused by the two different ways that PHP can be interpreted, then try this little lump of code that displays the date and time twice:
          Code:
          !!<
          print "Actinic generated: " . date("F j, Y, g:i:s a ");
          >!!

!!<
          <?php
          print "Server generated: " . date("F j, Y, g:i:s a");
          ?>
          >!!
          Upload (as a .php page) and look at what you get. Try refreshing the page.

The "Actinic generated" date won't change as this was done once when the page was made by Actinic and the resulting date was "printed" into the HTML generated for that page.

The "Server generated" date will change each time you refresh the page as this code is executing on your server.

Comment

Once again thanks Norman.

I have managed to set up the knowledge base and integrate it into actinic, however there is a ?php include_once command that has to go before the head on the page.

To get round this I have simply edited the faq.php page directly on the server (I understand that every upload will need to edit this).

If I simply put the ?php include_once on the content page will this work and if so will it slow the web site as it is loading a php file on every page?

Thanks

Steven

just in case the knowledge base is here

Comment

Set the title of that particular page to something unique. Like "My Brochure Page".

Use a blockif in your overall layout so that the include is only generated on that page.

Like:
              Code:
              <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageTitle%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22My%20Brochure%20Page%22">
                <?php include_once "myfile.php"; />

Comment

Working...
              X