Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 products - courier only shipping

Hi Folks

Suggestions gratefully received We have 2 products that ship UK only and must only go by courier. Using Business v11.2.

If the customer adds one of more of these to basket (or with anything else), the shipping should default to courier with no other options. If those products are removed, shipping goes back to normal.

I keep thinking I'm there, but it just never quite works...

For UK customers, we use flat rate p&p for 1st or 2nd class, and flat rate fee courier. Customers select what they want on check-out by a drop down menu.

I've tried setting it up on a product level, varying combos - couldn't get it to work (usually it just added the courier charge on top of normal p&p options).

I've tried giving only those 2 products a fake weight of 10kg and setting it up through business settings>shipping & handling - again, varying combos. That didn't work either.

In any scenario, if you take the products out, shipping does go back to normal so it's half way there.

I've searched on the forum and found a few similar(ish) problems, but not quite, if you know what I mean. Not sure if I'm close and have just missed something obvious, or if I'm asking the impossible Thanks - Helen

I had the same problem, but I set the default weight per item in Business Settings to 1 and then on the odd two items you can manually set a weight of say 1000. Then base your shipping rules on weight and for the normal flat rate p&p say upto 999kg is £x and then set a second rate of say 100000kg for the courier option. Then once one of your special items is added, the first shipping rule doesn't apply and it will default to the courier option.

Comment

Thanks Rob - I have tried this, it seems like the logical solution but I couldn't get it to work.

So I've started from scratch and followed your suggestion to the letter... and it's still not working. It still offers the customer a choice of shipping.

The set up is logical, default product weight of 1kg, those 2 products with a manual weight of 1,000kg... flat rate shipping options offered "up to" 999kg - customer choses 1st class, 2nd class or courier.

Add a 1,000kg item and this should automatically tip it over the "up to" 999kg flat rate option... you'd think.

I've tried changing the courier option from "up to" 999kg to 1,000kg hoping this would still give customers the option of chosing courier for regular products (it does), but defaulting automatically to this charge should one of the special items be added (it doesn't). I've also tried this with "up to" 10,000kg, and 100,000kg (just to be sure!)... no change.

So I've changed this back, and tried setting up a new zone/class for UK only - weight up to 1,000/10,000/100,000kg = courier charge. I've tried it both ways, with available on-line off and on (would prefer it to be off as I don't want this to be an option that shows)... no difference.

Hmmm, will go and stare at it some more.... It'll be something simple I've missed... always is! Highest table value is checked in Excess on all shipping classes (as has always been), don't know if this makes any difference. Thanks for your help - Helen

Comment

You can set the tiers up within one class, do you need to have two classes? I'd have said excess rules were the problem, perhaps unset them and then reset them in case they've fell asleep.

Comment

An update - still going round the houses with this. Tried resetting the excess rules (tried everything ) but to no effect.

The simple method (which logic dictates should work), just doesn't for some reason... the products with the manually set high weight are not being recognised... add it to basket and the weight should tip it into the courier shipping band and charge the higher rate automatically... but there we go.

So I've had to come up with a fudge, which is the only way I can get it to work, but it's not great... some recent changes to carrier's restricted products means that we now have several more products that can only ship courier, so here goes.

On the 2 UK shipping classes (1st and 2nd - different flat rates) I've had to change them from "weight in kg" basis to Category. I've created a new class called Courier Required and added UK to this. So now the 2 UK classes show the relevant flat rate charge in the matrix, plus Courier Required underneath. On the products affected, I've changed the Shipping Category to Courier Required.

It works.... kinda! It's the closest I've got so far - add the product to basket, shipping goes up... take the product out... shipping goes back to flat rate. The fly in the ointment is when you have the product in your basket and go through checkout, it still shows 1st class, 2nd class and courier options on the shipping dropdown, albeit at the correct higher rate (so that's progress!). But optimally, it shouldn't show 1st or 2nd class at all.

I will add a notice on the products so customers are assured that if they buy these products they WILL ship by courier, but we know people don't read so I'm still expecting to get some fallout on this.

In the meantime, snapshot going to Actinic Towers as I'm sure the simple weight based method is the way to go, so something's definitely amiss.

Cheers - Helen

Comment

Working...
          X