• Show
Clear All

Total Value Versus Weight For Shipping In US

The basics:
    1.) Using version 6.0
    2.) Located in the US
    3.) Website: www.eternal-light.com

My Question:

My primary shipping method is the USPS Priority Mail Service. I currently use Total Value to determine shipping charge versus Weight. My dilemma comes having two product categories that are dissimilar, t-shirts which are fairly heavy and jewelry items which weigh almost nothing. I can ship jewelry items for the base shipping rate and my problem would be solved. However, since the shirts weight about 10 ounces each (for the larger ones), weight can add up quickly and throw my shipping cost way off. My solution has been to use Total Value. in general, as the number of t-shirts increases, so does the value which works fairly well for retail situations. If I sell t-shirts on a wholesale basis, it can throw my scale off and thus my shipping charge is lower than it needs to be. While total Value works fairly well for t-shirts, the scale for jewelry is disproportionate and is higher than needs to be. I would love to use weight, however the USPS now uses Zones in addition to weights. The shipping charge can double even triple as the weights go up and the zones get farther away. Is there any way to program zones into the shipping tables in addition to the two that are already available (weight and cost)?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure I understand the question completely, but you can create a separate shipping table for each zone.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

By far, the easiest way would be to switch to weight based shipping. Simply use one of the higher zones (6 or 7) for your rates. At lower weights the rates are pretty close.

Alternatively, you could increase your s&h charges to a flat $9.20 for all orders and use USPS Flat Rate boxes. You can stuff several t-shirts in one of those, USPS provides them free of charge, and you can use Click and Ship with them (which comes with free Delivery Confirmation). Not ideal for orders of 100 shirts, though...
      Kirk Pruitt
      Zims Autotechnik
      Bedford, Texas

Comment

Working...
      X