Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing acatalog to a different name

Hi,

I am considering upgrading from V10 to 2014. When I do this would it be a good idea to change from the acatalog name?

My site is not performing so I am thinking I don't have much to lose. I will be starting from scratch, freshly listing a small selection of products and gradually adding more. So whatever Google knows about the existing products wont be there anyway.

Assuming it is a good idea to change the name, I guess it's a good idea to have it related to our business activity?

Thanks

D

Originally posted by The Baby Studio View Post
    Hi,

I am considering upgrading from V10 to 2014. When I do this would it be a good idea to change from the acatalog name?

My site is not performing so I am thinking I don't have much to lose. I will be starting from scratch, freshly listing a small selection of products and gradually adding more. So whatever Google knows about the existing products wont be there anyway.

Assuming it is a good idea to change the name, I guess it's a good idea to have it related to our business activity?

Thanks

D
    Short answer is yes.
    These days including meaningful words in URL's is regarded as good practice, if your pages were ranking then you need to make a more considered decision and look at using redirect but if you are not getting good rankings then it can only improve matters in the long run.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

Make sure you use a .htaccess file with a 301 redirect.
      Peblaco

Comment

Is there a specific place to change the acatalog name in the install (I cant remember it if there was) Or can I just rename the folder on the server and modify the links in the network settings?

Just wondering if any content already created will be hard coded with acatalog as their urls?

TIA

D.

Comment

You would need to change folder on the server and software Network Setup. Put a 301 redirect in a .htaccess on the server. If you put links in the software you would need to change them. Any sites that link to you should be advised to update their links.
          Peblaco

Comment

Thanks peblaco you have been a great help!

Regards

D

Comment

Working...
            X