Gripes with frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gripes with frames

Has Actinic discontinued the support for frames completely in v8, or is this an issue with my way too complex custom layouts?
    In v8, none of the themes seem to contain any reference to frames, and when importing my snapshot from v7 all my frames disappear
    (ie. are just torn out of the code) and are replaced by a default layout. Even searching the help files came out pretty futile,
    with one real reference to frames, and I could only find a couple of options mentioning frames.

And please note, I've been doodling around with v8 for a mighty period of two days. I previously worked on Actinic 3 or so years ago,
    with v6, and that time too I had tons of problems with frames. My experience with css, or even webdesign is very limited - so far I've
    managed mostly through trial and error. So please, short sentences, simple wording.

Thank you in advance.

---
    Risto Tahvanainen

Think I remember reading somewhere that they have removed all the templates with frames and with that I think frame options in V8.

Comment

Personally I would ditch a framed site design

Comment

I had tons of problems with frames.
        As jo says frames are not worth the effort and cause all sorts of problems. It may be the time to use V8 and get rid of them

Comment

Frames were a great concept that never really worked as they should have. With XHTML and CSS they are now truly redundant - I am with Jo and Malcom ... drop them sooner rather than later and let your site feel the benefit

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

As the other posters have said, framed sites are not recomended any more. so we have discouraged their use in v8. (so that less knowlegable users dont use them because they like the way they look but dont realise the impact they are having on SEO etc)

The functionlity to support users own custom frames is still there and fully supported.

If you upgrade a site based on an actinic supplied framed design, then it will be upgraded to a site that behaves like the framed design, but is in fact being driven by scripts. (for new users we dont encourage this so it is not easily configured unless you upgrade a framed site)
            Josh Speed
            Product Development

www.actinic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X