feature request - sitemap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feature request - sitemap

one of the design techniques I've been using recently is to hide the section lists from the body of the site, I prefer to see sites where you use the left hand nav to be taken direct to a product. This works well with one product per section.

Largely this works, and it is a standard feature to hide the section lists with in the interface. However this falls over on the site map as there is always a link to the top level section, which, if clicked on, brings up a blank page.

I prefer not to have to populate section dialog pages with image, description etc so the only solution is to customise the sitemap to remove these links, and remove the pages from the webspace after every upload.

Wil there be a cleaner solution in V8?

Wil there be a cleaner solution in V8?
    Yep - with conditions again.

You need to get into the layout called 'Site Map Section List'. You can either do this by going into 'Design | Library' - in the group called 'Site Map Section Lists' - or change the 'Select Page Type' drop down list in the 'Design' tab to 'Site Map'. Then click on one of the links in the sitemap and click the 'Navigate to Parent Layout' button a couple of times (yellow spiral with up arrow).

Highlight the 'Site Map Section Link' layout selector and click the 'Insert Block' button (green 'C'). The condition you want is:

SectionLevel >= 2

Comment

Excellent.

Will v8 be clever enough not to generate these surplus section pages just as the icing on the cake? so they dn't get indexed

Comment

I don't know about that - but if you set up all your section links with the same 'SectionLevel' rule, they shouldn't get indexed as there will be no links to them.

Comment

but you still have the content from the rest of the page which may get picked up, and you still have things Google sitemap programs that will pick them up.

Comment

Working...
          X