One and One hosting - Problems with emails and placing orders on the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

You cannot use LOCALHOST in IIS 6 anymore (or probably other versions of IIS!)

You *have* to use the 'Fully Qualified Domain Name' (Normally your website URL...

See here for how to change the FQDN: (It works! ;-))

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr....mspx?mfr=true

KR Bill

PS: Certainly the case with 1&1 and/or other service providers in Germany!...

PPS: We still use LOCALHOST within Sellerdeck - it's only mail that is generated through our server that requires the FQDN...

PPPS: For some quirks that I cannot remember, we use IIS7 for our websites and IIS6.5 for our SMTP Server (there are more settings under IIS6.5 which aren't available under IIS7)

PPPS: You shouldn't have lost any emails - they should still be bufffered in your server OutBox / unless SMTP server has decided to 'give up' as undeliverable?...
    Bill

HTML Code:
    <a href="www.spicesofindia.co.uk">www.spicesofindia.co.uk</a>

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info but I believe most of us Sellerdeck users are using their unix servers. Certainly so in my case.

Mike

PS. Sellerdeck sends all email via the web server.
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Yes, I understand, but 1&1 are obliged to support the federal German Anti Spam laws whatever the operating system... ;-)

KR

Bill.
        Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

I'll be honest. I don't know anything about the German federal anti spam laws but I suspect it's just a red herring thrown in by 1and1 to explain their cack handed handling of the issue.

Mike

Comment

The newly enforced laws are nothing to do with 1&1 - they haven't even discussed it with me - it's just from Googling around that I know what's going on...
            Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

Yes. Well, I'm sorry Bill but you're posting in a thread on 1and1 smtp problems and it's affect on sellerdeck and so far all you've added is some stuff about IIS with FQDN and some reference to Federal German Anti Spam laws.

There may be a need to block spammers from bulk email sending but the implementation of this by 1and1 has been cack handed to say the least and so far you haven't actually added anything relevant to the thread.

So I'm glad you know what's going on behind the scenes, but it would be far more useful if you could add something that helps people find a solution to the problem rather than waffling on about irrelevant stuff.

Mike

Comment

Well, that's nice Mike!, I was only trying to help - shan't bother in future! THANKS! (not!) - Jeez!...
                Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

That's Ok Bill. Any time.

Maybe my idea of helping out is different from yours. In my case it would be helping people find a solution to their problem.

I'd love to know what yours is.

Mike

Comment

You're a real nice guy Mike - insulting 'tli the last! WTF? I've been through this with 1&1 and come out the other side / 'twas just trying to help... but you feel the need to insult me?!
                    Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

All I've said so far is that you haven't really added anything relevant to the thread other than a bit of waffle.

I'm sorry if you find that insulting but it's the truth.

Mike

Comment

Afraid I have to side with Mike here. I'm sure you had the best intentions Bill, but I don't thnk your posting addded any relevance to the original problem that was posted. I for one didn't even understand what is was you were talking about. I don't mean that to sound insulting, its just that it added an unnecessary layer of confusion, which probably wasn't relevant to the vast majority of people the original posting was affecting.

The 1and1 'solution' of adding a 19 second delay to relay emails is creating quite a few issues. A lot of our customers are clearly getting confsued by the long wait for the bounce to the final receipt, and are either clicking the finalise payment button again, or reloading page, or simiar, and then failing to see receipt or receive the confirmation email.
                        I am trying to work on a customisation of the Sellerdeck Payment Successful page, to tell customers to WAIT for their receipt.

Comment

Hi Mike, Hi Martin,

I apologise if you do not feel my comments were related to the original posting. But I disagree...

We had exactly the same problem with 1&1 : Not receiving any order confirmations, nor emails from our 'Contact Us' form...

The solution is to change the SMTP server settings as outlined in my first post.

The reaon this has come about? Because 1&1 are rolling out support for the Anti-Spamming laws in Germany...

Whether you host your site on Windows or Unix (or other) you will probably be affected.

My post(s) were to help with others experiencing the same problems - so, directly relevant ;-)

This is NOT really a Sellerdeck issue.

Trust me - I've been through it / I've fixed it... :-)

KR

Bill.
                          Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

Let not fall out guys. We will always have some misunderstandings on occasions, but let's accept differences of opinions, shake hands, and move on please.

Comment

Hi Bill,

I have to admit I wonder if we're talking about the same thing here.

Our problem is that 1and1 have introduced a 20 second delay on all emails being sent from the sellerdeck scripts via the 1and1 open relay smtp server (the only one they'll let shared web servers access nowadays.) This causes the sellerdeck scripts on the web server to hang (and also delays the sending of emails via the sellerdeck desktop as these also go via the web server.)

We have no control or access to the 1and1 smtp server configuration.

Are you talking about sending emails from your own mail server? I have to wonder as you also say:

PPS: We still use LOCALHOST within Sellerdeck - it's only mail that is generated through our server that requires the FQDN...
                              Mike

Comment

AHA! You could be onto something there Mike...

Thinking about it... if you are using a shared server then perhaps all email, from all websites on that physical machine, are 'relaying' through a common 'shared' SMTP server... In an effort to reduce Spam, 1&1 have put a time delay on sending routing said emails...

As we have a dedicated server we host our own SMTP server and have 100% control over it...

So yes, it makes sense that way...

Perhaps I should hang my head and shuffle back into my box!...

I was passionate to help, and share my knowledge, because it took me so loong to resolve it myself.

Seems I've given the right answer to the wrong question! Hehe ;-))

Good luck in your quest!
                                Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X