Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v8.5.0 beta released

Hi Everyone,

We are pleased to announce that Actinic v8.5.0 is now in beta testing. This interim release features some significant changes including;

- Enhancements to shipping capabilities
    - Enhancements to the design capabilities with improved Dreamweaver integration
    - Ecommerce-EPOS link (Actinic Business and EPOS Network only)
    - Full compatibility with Windows Vista

To see more details of the changes in v8.5.0, see the release notes:
    http://downloads.actinic.com/Release_Notes850.pdf

To download the v8.5.0 beta, go to;
    http://www.actinic.co.uk/about/Beta.php4

NB. This software is of test quality only and should not be used on a live production site. Actinic cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage which may result from such use. We expect that this version will become the full production release after approximately two weeks. If during the testing period any problems are found, a new version will be issued as soon as possible.

Please report any problems with this release to:
    mailto:v850beta@actinic.co.uk?Subject=v850_Beta

Kind Regards,

Actinic Software

If anyone is wondering I checked this morning and this a numbering change and not a version change.

Comment

That's correct. The increase in the second number indicates functional and database changes. However, it's not a major release.

Note that 8.5.0 cannot co-exist with 8.0.x on the same machine and is not downgradable to 8.0.x (You can't just run the earlier version installer over the top because of the database changes).

Chris

Comment

v8.5.0 has finally got rid of a snaphot error proclaiming it was unable to find a hardcoded file despite all references being removed.

Quickly falling in love with v8 the more I use it

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

you old romantic

Comment

Any news on when v7.x will be Vista compliant (if at all)?

Many Thanks

Kevin
            KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

We are planning a Vista compatible v7 but it's a little while away, and I don't have a release date.

Vista compatibility has turned out to be quite complicated.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the update Chris. I must admit to be very disapointed with this news as I'm sure thousands of core v7 users will be also.

There is nothing in v8 that (for me) justifies an upgrade - except that it now works on Vista.

Many Thanks

Kevin Mullins

Comment

Originally posted by MULLKV
                  There is nothing in v8 that (for me) justifies an upgrade - except that it now works on Vista.
                  OT
                  Seems like a good enough tax deductable reason from our stand point

Happy days....

BOT

So, I am I correct in thinking that V8.5.0 is a stand alone version? (ie clean install, no patching needed etc...)
                  Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                  Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

850 is an upgrade or full install. Full install is preferable I think. remember it's still in beta though at the moment.

Comment

for me, i'm afraid its the other reasons, and not vista compatibility.

I'v been beta testing vista since its first testing release, and seen some good things get added to that os.

but its a bizarre on rails microsoft experience. I dont think i'll ever upgrade and i urge others not to do so. ever.

i actually have the full version on my workbench at home, a copy of vista ultimate. and i'v tried actinic8. works fine.

interestingly, its spurred me to
                      Code:
                      sudo apt-get upgrade
                      any chance you can release a full list of windows dependancies so i can create a wine based installer?

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                        850 is an upgrade or full install. Full install is preferable I think. remember it's still in beta though at the moment.
                        Cheers Duncan, I am awaiting the green light and a full list of changes to evaluate before I make the leap.

No plans at this end to upgrade to vista (I never upgrade my OS just use the installed one when I purchase) but many do and I am sure vista compliance won't be too long in coming eh developers? (new pc's in the budget for April...)

Regards
                        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

[QUOTE=gabrielcrowe]I dont think i'll ever upgrade and i urge others not to do so. ever.[/CODE]

As a professional developer that relies on Microsoft technology I cannot afford not to "keep up" with [admittedly erratic] goings on at Microsoft.

Whilst there will be many who won't upgrade, there will be many more I think that do, and from now onwards, it will be difficult to buy a new PC without Vista installed (whether that is good or not is another discussion).

Personally, I don't think any software house should be "obliged" to keep anything other than the current version up to date with the OS, the only reason I asked is because I knew that Actinic (being the gracious folks that they are) had said they were working on a v7 compatible version.

The worse culprits have been driver vendors - they have all had around 24months to work with Vista pre-release on updating their software, and many are finding it difficult to do at this late stage.

For the time being I will continue to run Actinic on my XP machine and probably look at upgrading Actinic rather than waiting for the conversion.

Many Thanks

Kevin Mullins

Comment

friendly help:

http://www.kdmtechnologies.com/kdmtechnologies.asp

in your sig. is borked.

Comment

Just in from Actinic - revised Actinic v8.5.0 beta is now available. This version specifically addresses a database shipping error experienced by some beta testers.

Comment

Working...
                              X