No announcement yet.

Why did I bother - 8.5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does that folder happen to be where the registered external design html file is stored?

Comment

No it shouldn't be as I do not register external designs to my pbpartners folder.

If I remove the folder the design is fine... if i put the folder on the laptop the design folds, even if I rename the folder it still messes.

Where should I look to see where the SW thinks the external layout is?

Comment

Where should I look to see where the SW thinks the external layout is?
        Go to the 'Design' tab and select the outer layout that was built from the registered Dreamweaver design.

Then click the 'Edit Layout Details' button.

You'll see the path to the external file in the screen that appears. You can edit it here, and even remove the path if you no longer want to use an external source for this design.

The reason I mentioned the external design is that when Actinic does a snapshot, it checks both the site folder and the external design folder for the necessary files. If you put references to files from the 'site' folder within the externally registered design, this could be what is causing Actinic to struggle.

This isn't an excuse - I'm just trying to get the bottom of the problem.

Comment

I think i get no problems in this area as i create a site in dreamweaver as i would for any other non-actinic site and point it to the actinic site folder. Put all your settings in as normal and it then gives you the ability to go to the server if you need.

Now it's true that when you use this folder, you get everything listed in the dreamweaver window, however if you use Jonty's trick on naming your templates, you can get them at the top anyway. So i always have in the actinic site folder the external design and the external css file.

I've had no probs at all with this setup. If i want to change something on the external design or the external css, i just open dreamweaver and select the file from the dreamweaver site folder. My changes always happen immediately without a hitch.

I'm also assured that it is taken in the snapshots then too and even a client can work on the design after if they're happy to.

Comment

Chris, can you also clarify something for me please.

I always used to apply the upgrade patches and was shown the light on this and picked up that it is best to download the full version. After downloading the new full version, i remove actinic completely from my PC and then installed the new version from scratch, licensed it, created the new sites and imported the snapshots accordingly.

I seem to recall recently reading on one your posts, that although you do download the full version (not the patch), you do not delete the current actinic installation, you just apply the new version over the top.

If this is the case, it would certainly save me sometime, can you explain what exactly you do in this process as the more sites you have, the longer my process currently takes.

Thanks.

Comment

You'll see the path to the external file in the screen that appears. You can edit it here, and even remove the path if you no longer want to use an external source for this design.
              ok we are getting somewhere.

there was indeed a D:\ pathname in there.

I've now made it blank... and my custom layout seems to stick... is this safe?

Where is it picking up my design from?

Comment

Well indeed the answer to this is it picks up the design from the layouts in the database, so i have to re-create the external design from the layout in order to reregister the desig nwith DW.

additionally I've lost my external css. In site options i have "custom1" but there is no custom1.css in site1, only actinic.css in siteHTML.

Is there a good file content comparision tool out there to compare the content of custom1 and actinic.css (I can regenerate custom1 from the layout)?

Its all in rather a pickle...

I always used to apply the upgrade patches and was shown the light on this and picked up that it is best to download the full version. After downloading the new full version, i remove actinic completely from my PC and then installed the new version from scratch, licensed it, created the new sites and imported the snapshots accordingly.
                I don't do this Lee. I simply download the new full version and install it on top of the current catalog.exe - I do not uninstall actinic. thus site folders remain intact, when you open a site forthe first ime after upgrade it then triggers the upgrade process.

Comment

Is there a good file content comparision tool out there
                  I use ConText from http://www.context.cx/ - It has an excellent Compare menu - and handles perl/html/javascript etc in addition to plain text.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                    I don't do this Lee. I simply download the new full version and install it on top of the current catalog.exe - I do not uninstall actinic. thus site folders remain intact, when you open a site forthe first ime after upgrade it then triggers the upgrade process.
                    So you download the full version and then just run and it will update the system already in place? Anything i need to watch out for? I always did the delete completely thing as i knew that nothing could ever go titsup. Its a ballache setting each site back up though i must admit.

As for comparing your stylesheets, place your custom css file content into the actinic stylesheet and then use the actinic compare facility to compare it to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                      Well indeed the answer to this is it picks up the design from the layouts in the database, so i have to re-create the external design from the layout in order to reregister the desig nwith DW.
                      If you put the external design and the css file into the site folder, remove the actinic content, save it as a different name and then reregister it, it should do just that. First time i used this facility, i had ExternalDesign1, the site is now live on ExternalDesign10.

Comment

Is there a good file content comparision tool out there
                        I use WinMerge (www.winmerge.org) an open source program.
                        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

ok, i think I've sorted this mess out.

custom1 and actinic.css indeed were the same. So I've now created a new css file called it texas (to match the newly re-created external design htm file) I've registered it, and added it to the overall layout.

I've now got 4 external layouts:

Texas(Main)
                          Texas(Brochure)
                          Texas(Checkout)
                          Texas(CSS)

Fingers Crossed..

Comment

So you download the full version and then just run and it will update the system already in place?
                            yes thats what I do.

Although being paranoid I keep a snapshot for all sites off disk too, aswell as having all sites folders on another disk too - but thats all part of my normal backup routine.

Comment

Oh Man.....

testing.surf-wax.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Comment

Snapshot gives me this error

Errors
                                (File ExportFiles.cpp, Line 456) - The file D:\Actinic_V8\Sites\SW2\custom1.css was not found System error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.
                                (File ExportFiles.cpp, Line 456) - The file D:\Actinic_V8\Sites\SW2\actinic.css was not found System error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.
                                (File ExportFiles.cpp, Line 456) - The file D:\PB_PARTNERS\_Pinbrook\Actinic\Texas\texas.html was not found System error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified.
                                Warnings
                                This site includes files that are outside the Actinic installation directory.
                                On importing the site these files will be delivered to a temporary location within the Actinic installation directory.
                                Manual intervention will be required to restore the site after import.

D:\Actinic_V8\Sites\SW2\custom1.css
                                D:\Actinic_V8\Sites\SW2\actinic.css
                                D:\PB_PARTNERS\_Pinbrook\Actinic\Texas\texas.html
                                It shouldn't be looking for this path...D:\Actinic_V8\Sites\SW2\ this is the path on my old laptop.

I changed the outer layout location see attached image, again snapshot shouldn't be looking for this location D:\PB_PARTNERS\_Pinbrook\Actinic\Texas\texas.html

So in a ways its correct it can't find the paths, but it shouldn't be looking fro them.

In fact I gave up with the duplicate file conflict error and deleted the folder.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X