No announcement yet.

Actinic Checkout - Speedup Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to say thanks to John and Rob for providing the setup for the new google analytics tracking code.
    Jon
    www.designtoplease.co.uk
    www.getmeoutofahole.com
    www.toys4james.co.uk
    Located in Herts

Comment

Thankyou Jon, you are very welcome!
      Rob Williams
      Ink Cartridges
      Stinky Ink - Blog

Comment

Looks awesome on your site. Won't work on my site.
        I downloaded the two javascript files and put them in the Site 1 directory.
        I copied and pasted the code just above the Actinic javascript in the head and uploaded the site.

The checkout process was exactly the same as before.

Obviously despite these being simple instructions I have got something wrong.
        Any clues?

<link href="actinic.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
        <!-- START checkout speed up -->
        <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jQuery-1.2.2.pack.js"></script>
        <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="checkout_speedup.js"></script>
        <!-- END checkout speed up -->
        <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="actiniccore.js"></script>
        <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="actinicextras.js"></script>

<!-- Placeholder of cookie checking javascript code. Do not remove it! -->
        <Actinic:COOKIECHECK />

Comment

Same problem here. Installed the files in site directory and added the script calls in the <head> section as detailed.

It's a fantastic development so any help would be really appreciated.

John
          http://www.strawberry-tiger.co.uk
          Practical parenting products for babies and toddlers covering safety, development, sun protection, clothing, health, bedroom, nursery, travel, etc.

Comment

Could you possibly give me a link to the sites you are both testing it on?
            Rob Williams
            Ink Cartridges
            Stinky Ink - Blog

Comment

Hi Rob,

just got it working. I forgot that I had two layouts (one for top level and one for product level) so I added it to the <head> for both layouts ant that solved it.

You can see it working on my site listed in the sig below. I've just uploaded it onto the live site and we'll see how it goes for a couple of days. I'm very excited at the improvement though.

It doesn't seem to be down to two checkout pages though and neither does your site my my reckoning. Let me explain, my pages were as follows:

1. View basket - roughly same as yours
              2. Checkout - where you can also tell it to deliver to a different address - roughly same as yours
              3. Address details - roughly same as yours
              4. Order summary - no function just shows the order and the payment method
              5. An automatic redirect screen that displays for a few seconds and then take you to the Protx first screen.

After installing these scripts it still does steps 1-3 the same as before but upon hitting NEXT on step 3 it goes straight to the first Protx screen. Thus reducing 5 steps to 3 which is fantastic!

On your site it does the same except you have a screen to collect the card payment details instead of Protx it seems.

Is this right?
              Practical parenting products for babies and toddlers covering safety, development, sun protection, clothing, health, bedroom, nursery, travel, etc.

Comment

Are we sure that it is necessary to put the
                HTML Code:
                <!-- START checkout speed up -->
                <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="jQuery-1.2.2.pack.js"></script>
                <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="checkout_speedup.js"></script>
                <!-- END checkout speed up -->
                section in both Act_BrochurePrimary and Act_Primary?

Doesn't it only need to be in Act_PrimaryCheckout - as this is the template for the checkout - and this is the one that needs the <div> </div>?

Paul
                Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

I thought the same Paul.

I just deleted the script calls from Act_BrochurePrimary (the brochure pages level) a few minutes ago and found that it stopped working as a result. Put it straightback and it's working again. So it must be needed.

I didn't originally add the <div> after <body> and </div> before end ending </body> as advised earlier. I've just put them in on all the layouts where the script occurs and it doesn't seem to have made any difference so not sure what it's purpose is but then I'm not much of a coder.

Comment

Originally posted by john@stinkyink.
                    I am willing to give you this code for nothing – but (there is always a but!) I want a decent link back from your site to me, there – not too painful was it?.Printer ink here
                    So for clients with a 'no linking' strategy, or 'reciprical links only', is there a monetary or other option for using this code?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tickle
                      I thought the same Paul.
                      OK then - it doesn't make any difference to me once it's inserted in the templates anyway. Just looking for clarification, I imagine that this thread will eventually end with a definitive set of instructions - though I am surprised that it's not busier already, with such an advance.

Although I have a test url that I could upload to, I have so many hard-coded links that the test site goes back to the online url. Therefore I can only test on the live site, and I don't mind doing this in the early hours when there's no punters about.

But I also have many other modifications, and as at last night I couldn't get it working - I think because I have modified Act_LocationSelect. Another late night coming up....

Originally posted by CurlyWurly
                      So for clients with a 'no linking' strategy, or 'reciprical links only', is there a monetary or other option for using this code?
                      We'll worry about that later! John's looking for incoming links to improve his rankings - one or two missing won't hurt.

Paul
                      Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Comment

We'll worry about that later! John's looking for incoming links to improve his rankings - one or two missing won't hurt
                        John has obviously put alot of work into this and is offering it for a simple link to his site - if you take and use the code without putting up a link IMO that is very bad and similar to shoplifting. Adding a link is a small price to pay if you use the code.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                          John has obviously put a lot of work into this....

Adding a link is a small price to pay if you use the code.
                          Concur & no doubt.

Personally I think he could have done it some other way; Curly does have a point, some sites don't have linking strategies, but would still want the fix.

Kermy in the past did a lot of work for no return; Norman looks for donations but I bet a lot of sites use his code without giving him anything. (Though Norman does it three ways - PayMe!, Donationware, and 'Out of the Kindness of my Heart here's the answer').

Some of this just gets lost in the spirit of the forum, just as you (Malc) give much advice with your knowledge of SEO/Big G.

For myself, whilst I will willingly place a link in return (if I get it working) I am not all that happy with having a link to printer inks on a site that serves the floristry and wedding market, that's why it will be at the bottom of a secondary page. But I thought (and you can answer this) that G looked for relevance - isn't this pretty close to farming? Will it really do John any good?

If this goes where it seems, this is a major mod, one that our R&D department in West Byfleet should have sorted for us long ago - if John does not get 100% return on investment, it's because of the way he's gone about it.

Paul

Comment

I've added a link as it seems to work great for me so far. I am concerned by the Google relevance issue but it's just one link that's not relevant so hopefully it won't cause problems. Not sure whether it benefits John though.

Regardless of the link I'll be ordering my next HP toner from John as a thankyou and more than happy to continue if prices look good (not checked as yet).

If you think about it had someone come to the forum offering a reduced checkout stage for a small fee many of us would have jumped at the chance. I would have been more than happy to donate or offer goods for this if John had asked.

Comment

Look out here comes Malcolm...

Ditto, Buying toner will do him a lot more good!
                              Paul

Comment

he has actually asked for a good link so if he's not getting them then he may charge for the code. I can see his plan bit if people abuse it then he will have given the code for nothing.

People should not use it unless they are prepared to give a good link IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X