No announcement yet.

What are Actinic's long term goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok.... there are 2 types of ecommerce shops - one with online database and one without.

If you want real time features you choose to use software with online DB.

if you prefer to work offline and like static pages you choose actinic.

So why the debate about making actinic/online DB?

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
      I suppose the point I'm making is that i'm frustrated at hacking my way around this software. I'v made hack after hack, on daft old code. this morning I tried yet another idea that mght enable some semblance of real time stock and failed, simply due to the way Actinic deals with *.cat files.

It's driving me CRAZY.
      I agree, for anyone looking for a feature that isn't there at the moment it would be useful to know what is likely to be done by Actinic in the foreseeable future and what we may have to sort out ourselves. A published timeline for the wishlist would be a start.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
      SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
      Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
        Ok.... there are 2 types of ecommerce shops - one with online database and one without.

Gabriel is simply asking if there is a plan (in the near or distant future) to have an online database (or an real time editable offline one). I don't think its unreasonable question to ask.
        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Maybe because some useful features need an online database to operate, so we are perhaps looking for the best of both worlds with an offline design database as at present and an online database for new features.

Personally I would be interested in some design hooks into the Actinic code that would allow addons to make better use of Actinic features. If implemented correctly this would ensure that addons do not get broken when Actinic make upgrades to the main design. hmmm an Actinic API.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

so we have to participate in beta testing to get on the prefered list?
            NO but Actinic cannot meet with every web designer who uses thier software so they have contacted the most experienced users and asked them to meetings to get feed back. Obviously they have picked the users who have used it the longest, built the most sites, give advice on the forum and do beta testing BECAUSE they know the software and what users want.

Over the years we have all given actinic a hard time for not talking to people so now you are giving them a hard time because they are not talking to all "designers". They have to start somewhere and they have made a good start IMO - the conference on Friday is another example which I assume you are going to?

Comment

Gabriel is simply asking if there is a plan (in the near or distant future) to have an online database
              There are version which already have this eg Express

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                Over the years we have all given actinic a hard time for not talking to people so now you are giving them a hard time because they are not talking to all "designers". They have to start somewhere and they have made a good start IMO - the conference on Friday is another example which I assume you are going to?
                I agree with this too, they have accepted and are changing things, it just takes time and they need to also see it working to prove to themselves to do it more.

Comment

Actinic cannot meet with every web designer who uses thier software
                  The internet was designed to distribute information in this way. Why can't it be used in this case?

Can we have someone take minutes and then blog them? It'll take someone 10 mins, to paste them into a blog.

Sadly, I'm unable to attend, but I don't feel that I should be punished for it.
                  Last edited by gabrielcrowe; 27-Oct-2008, 03:51 PM. Reason: ack! accidetally reposted entire post.

Comment

the conference on Friday is another example which I assume you are going to?
                    Had I known about it I would have attended

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Can some PR bod from the Tower step in?

I'd love to hear the official response.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
                        Sadly, I'm unable to attend, but I don't feel that I should be punished for it.
                        This is a good point, CD mentioned that non-attendees could be subject to an info cascade from these meetings, maybe it has been shelved or being done by someone else now he has left.

Comment

Fridays meeting was possibly the best advertised thing actinic has done for ages so if you didn't know it was on then perhaps your not as you could make yourself.

I suggested that it should be webcast so everyone could attend but I don't know what is planned. Certainly someone could simply video it and bung it on YouTube. As always it's left to the active minority.

As gabe says he should not be penalized for not attending but the offer was made and that's the point IMO. There were others that missed it and indeed I missed follow up meeting as I was away so I don't k ow as much as others but it takes effort. I'm sure the people going to the conference will learn lots and pass it on!

Comment

Fridays meeting was possibly the best advertised thing actinic has done for ages so if you didn't know it was on then perhaps your not as you could make yourself.
                            I hadn't realised you were referring to the Actinic Conference, as there was limited attendance I hadn't considered attending.

I'm sure the people going to the conference will learn lots and pass it on!
                            great if they can.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

when you are in a competive Market you cannot afford to pass on any chance to meet people especially the makers of the software you use for your business. If you had been going you would have met all the guys at actinic and. That's worth a fortune when it comes to things like being asked to help with software user groups. It's basic business networking and actinic are making the effort - those that also make the effort will always win.

Knowledge is power but you have to work to get it - at the moment actinic are making it much easier than in the past. So I say well done to them.

Comment

Its not a debate about making actinic an online db

it was a discussion about actinic using and online DB for some of the missing functions.

Actinic can still be an offline package that syncs to an online db, the whole site does not need to be designed online.

i think Gabe proved that a long time ago.

could not agree more, but the 31st was a badly chosen day for many IMHO

BUT, they have shown (and admitted) over the past 12 months or so that this needs improving and we have seen considerable changes thus far, they still have a few more steps to go yet though. Rather than a kick in the nuts, I think a helping hand to lift them into 2008 in this area, is more appropriate.
                                Definately but feel 2009 will be an uphill struggle aswell

Comment

Working...
                                X