Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actinic slows to a halt for the first time in ages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dorian,

It would seem that the addthis button was the cause for some of us. I'd suggest you take it out and see if that helps. You should be able to see the results straight away without uploading (I did anyway).

If this resolves it and you still want the button, it may be worth getting the latest one as it has recently been updated and then look back for Duncan's post and he gives you some code the wrap round it. This stops it from being seen in the preview, but it will go up to your site and it solved the problem.

It is recommended that you use this code for all links to external sites.

Hope this helps.
    Helen
    www.postapresent.co.uk
    Gifts by Post & Giftwrapping Service

Comment

Thanks - I'll remove it for now and see wht happens.
      O.K. I have added in Duncans script and all seems well. Initial results seem promising.

May 21 - content tree seems to be working as good as it ever was now.
      Dorian
      ------
      www.itmustbegreen.co.uk
      Fair-Trade & Eco-Friendly

Comment

Add This Button.. I think not!

We had some issues with Actinic v8 becoming really slow at product level for no reason. When looking into it it seemed to be the 'Add This Button' that had been on our site for ages with no problems!? so we've now removed it and everythings a ok for now, maybe the ppl down at the add this button have changed how the plug-in works!?

Cheers FrAz
        Cheers FrAz

Comment

I can't tell you how relieved we are
          We've just had a new site built, in V9.03.
          This was our first experience of V9 and once we had loaded in about 1800 products the whole thing became almost unusable it was so slow and ponderous.
          Add Duncan's fix around the AddThis button and Hey Presto! - responsiveness is now spot on.

We've been using V8 for a couple of years and never had a problem with the speed of the software so we were v. alarmed at the appalling speed of V9.

Thanks to George and Helen for persevering and of course Duncan for the fix.

And a very large raspberry to AddThis

Three cheers for the forum
          Kind Regards
          Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

in fact after a bit of analysis, you can see that any external resource that loads an image, or executes javascript of some kind will slow down the page rendering.

the actual page generation is slick (the part that actinic has to take care of).

when your broadband is slow, or the resource cannot be cached (like a social bookmarking or realtime button) then the element needs to be pulled from the web in real time, as the apge loads into the IE preview.

in actinic, IE is used in its API context, and has slightly differnt settings, security wise, from the one you use to browse the web.

All these factors together lead me to believe:

- Always use blocks to remove the items in preview (excellent work dunc!)
            - Always locally cache scripts and images, put them into your actinic folder.
            - Try not to use javascript libraries that make ajax calls, they trigger this behaviour too, local security prohibits it (cross domain fail).
            - Use the force.

Comment

Working...
            X