1&1 no longer support 32 bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got off of the phone from Sellerdeck support

They are aware of the issues with 1&1 server upgrade as they have been fielding a lot of similar calls over the last week or so

They say it is something to do with a change in file transfer protocols (all goobly-de-gook to me) but there you go. Maybe you more knowledgeable folk can enlighten me further, in plain English

Looks like we are going to test out Sellerdeck hosting to see if what they claim - that their own servers are 100% compliant with the SD software requirements 100% of the time - is true.

I must admit that I dislike having my hand forced into what is most likely going to cost me far more, but I cannot continue like this, as 1&1 server upgrades issues have knocked me out before.

I did suggest that support might want to post something about this to this forum, as they are aware of the issue and potentially a lot of people are going to be affected. People with more occasional orders might not even have noticed.

Comment

Martin
      Can you swop to a dedicated server on 1&1 if so make sure its managed
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi Chris
        I haven't checked, but I have a feeling that the costs of going shared to managed is going up the price bracket in many multiples. We don't have that much traffic (maybe 50 orders per week) to justify a big hike in charges - online site is a minor part of our business
        I am going to try SD emergency hosting and then compare all charges. Am sure SD will be far more expensive than 1&1, but maybe not as expensive as a 1&1 managed server.
        There are other costs to consider too, as 1&1 currently handle the lot for me - domain, email and hosting - all at fairly budget rates, and SD are wanting me to switch domain company to 123 reg too, as part of the hosting changeover (something about they can't interact with 1&1 but can with 123 reg)

Comment

Martin,

if sellerdeck support are telling you that it's because 1and1 have dropped support for FTP and you now need to use Secure FTP then you might find this thread here useful as there is a workaround.

http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=53214

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike

Not entirely sure what they were on about but something along the lines of 1&1 now use Secure File transfer protocol and SD use STP. Please tell me if you think this is a smokescreen, or doesn't make sense, before I go and move my hosting for nothing.
            Would this affect the payment page handback to SD though, as that is what is currently failing (sorry if this is dumb question - wish I understood it more)?

Comment

I had a quick chat with sellerdeck support and have opened a ticket about this issue.

What they said to me was that the only issue they're aware of with 1&1 hosting is the secure FTP issue that sellerdeck desktop doesn't support secure FTP.

If this is the case, then a workaround is to use the secure ftp bridge client from the post I linked to earlier. This essentially puts a secure ftp client onto your PC that communicates with the server and then sellerdeck uses ftp to connect to that.

They also tell me that they have tested sellerdeck on perl 5.20.1 and it did work. They also mentioned something about having to disable ssl but I wasn't very clear on this.

The secure FTP issue is mostly to with uploading the sellerdeck files onto the server and if sellerdeck will complete a purge & refresh and/or a network test and/or you can ftp into your server using a standard ftp client then it sounds to me as if the problem is something else.

Mike

Comment

Yes, I can upload both using publish and refresh and I pass network test, so I don't think its the FTP issue (seem to remember this raising its head quite some back and taking whatever action was needed at the time). Support told me that whatever the problem is that they have been getting calls about, its happened in the last week or so (just like my site went wobbly late last week).
                Thanks as always for the ongoing help. Still looking for a solution, although I may well give SD hosting a trial - can't do any harm

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood View Post
                  Hi Chris
                  I haven't checked, but I have a feeling that the costs of going shared to managed is going up the price bracket in many multiples. We don't have that much traffic (maybe 50 orders per week) to justify a big hike in charges - online site is a minor part of our business
                  I am going to try SD emergency hosting and then compare all charges. Am sure SD will be far more expensive than 1&1, but maybe not as expensive as a 1&1 managed server.
                  There are other costs to consider too, as 1&1 currently handle the lot for me - domain, email and hosting - all at fairly budget rates, and SD are wanting me to switch domain company to 123 reg too, as part of the hosting changeover (something about they can't interact with 1&1 but can with 123 reg)
                  1&1 dedicated server is £60.00 per month so a lot more than most of their offerings.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                  SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                  Custom Packages

Comment

Martin,

When you say

Since this server upgrade, orders placed paying with PayPal, go to Paypal where payment is taken, but fail to return order after the confirm page is shown (and result in 'server error'), so we have payment but no order details downloaded
                    Can you expand on this. Sellerdeck should log the order details when the customer is handed over to Paypal so the order details should be there in the system.

I'm just trying to narrow down where the problem is occurring and what might be causing it.

Comment

So the order of events is:

Add items to basket - all OK
                      Go to checkout / view basket - all ok

variantion 1 - paying with credit card
                      Select pay by credit card - goes to the various confirm and pay steps, order is displayed on screen ok, but on the final click, which should take you to Sellerdeck Payments, just spins and eventually get a Internal Server Error 500, and order is not available to download into Actinic and no email is sent to customer

variantion 2 - paying via PayPal
                      Select pay by PayPal and you are redirected to PayPal log in, where customer accepts the order (can't remember exactly how PayPal presents this off the top of my head, but basically you go from my website to PayPal, where you log in and pay). The payment is registered with PayPal (ie I can see it and process it if I wish within my PayPal seller account). The receipt shows on screen at Actinic (ie what the customer ordered), but on the final button (again, can't rememberwhat final button is - maybe confirm), customer gets the hang/spinning wheel ending in Internal Server Error 500 again, and no order details are available to download into Actinic.

On a related note - having just got off the phone from Sellerdeck Emergency Hosting, to switch my hosting to Sellerdeck will mean a monthly increase from £20 pm (1&1) to £47-£56pm (Sellerdeck). Quite a jump. Thats still for shared server 12GB monthly bandwidth (which is about what I currently use)

Comment

That 1&1 account sounds like the old version whereas the current pro account is only £9.99 a month.

I've seen a few people talk about Host-it being a good web host for sellerdeck sites and their packages are similar in price to 1&1.

See this thread http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=56644 from earlier this year.

Host-it Actinic (sellerdeck) plans are here https://www.host-it.co.uk/hosting/pa...ic_hosting.asp)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood View Post
                          So the order of events is:

Add items to basket - all OK
                          Go to checkout / view basket - all ok

variantion 1 - paying with credit card
                          Select pay by credit card - goes to the various confirm and pay steps, order is displayed on screen ok, but on the final click, which should take you to Sellerdeck Payments, just spins and eventually get a Internal Server Error 500, and order is not available to download into Actinic and no email is sent to customer

variantion 2 - paying via PayPal
                          Select pay by PayPal and you are redirected to PayPal log in, where customer accepts the order (can't remember exactly how PayPal presents this off the top of my head, but basically you go from my website to PayPal, where you log in and pay). The payment is registered with PayPal (ie I can see it and process it if I wish within my PayPal seller account). The receipt shows on screen at Actinic (ie what the customer ordered), but on the final button (again, can't rememberwhat final button is - maybe confirm), customer gets the hang/spinning wheel ending in Internal Server Error 500 again, and no order details are available to download into Actinic.

On a related note - having just got off the phone from Sellerdeck Emergency Hosting, to switch my hosting to Sellerdeck will mean a monthly increase from £20 pm (1&1) to £47-£56pm (Sellerdeck). Quite a jump. Thats still for shared server 12GB monthly bandwidth (which is about what I currently use)
                          From the description given you appear to have a timeout issue, that is the perl scripts are waiting for a response which does not arrive in the pre determined time and you get an Error 500. If you can get access to the server error logs the problem may become clearer as this type of problem will be logged. This could be a problem with the current version of Perl you are using not having all the necessary extensions enabled, have SellerDeck confirmed that they have actually carried out tests that attempt to replicate your specific problem but if you can get those error logs and present them to support they should be able to determine if it is in fact a perl problem..

I am not sure how much help you can get from SellerDeck as this appears to be a hosting problem rather than a SellerDeck problem but given they seem to have more than just one customer with the error perhaps they will take a more pro active role.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                          SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                          Custom Packages

Comment

Hi Malcolm.
                            Yes, the problem arose for me when 1&1 carried out a server upgrade, which included amongst others things, a newer version of Perl 5.2 being installed on the shared server.

I therefore agree and think it is a reasonable guess that it is the new version of Perl which is causing the problem.
                            If this is the case, it is not really a server problem, nor a Perl problem, but an Actinic software problem, as it cannot function correctly in the more up to date environment. I have no idea if Actinic have tested functionality on each major host, and rather doubt they have thr time or inclination to do so. However, 1&1 are a major hosting company, and Actinic really should be taking some steps to check that the software can work within the environment 1&1 are providing (unless 1&1 are doing some unnessary weird changes, that nobody could reasonably expect - I don't understand enough about server environments to make any meaningful comment other than my laymans guesswork)

The OP Michael reported the same issues.

Mike Hughes who is also on 1&1 but hasn't had the server upgrade notice yet (as far as I know) still finds his site working. Time will tell if the server upgrade affects Mike too, when his server gets upgraded.

The proof is in the pudding in that the OP Michael, had the same issues with 1&1 after the server upgrade, and has resolved by changing to Seller deck hosting.

I am in the process of doing the same, although I also intend to test out hosting on another server (123Reg) too.

Comment

Hi Martin, the exact same thing has happened to my site overnight. I am on Sellerdeck 10.0.3 and using 1and1 hosting with the unlimited plus package. Payments are not going through, it just hangs on saving your order when you click "confirm order" (http://www.essentialoilsonline.co.uk/os000001.pl) and then the internal server error comes up with the following:-
                              Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

No mention of a fault this end just customers saying they can't order. No sign of the orders are coming through either.

Did you manage to get any solution for this? Did the Sellerdeck hosting work or did you choose another option?

I don't have Sellerdeck cover anymore as they weren't able to resolve my last issue and I'm slowly losing faith in the Sellerdeck brand. I am wanting to upgrade to Sellerdeck 16 but not sure if this will be the best option.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have had calls and e:mails from worried customers all morning!

Thanks in advance,
                              Joanna.

Comment

Hi Joanna

We have hopefully just got back up and running about an hour ago.

This was by changing hosting to Sellerdeck, which now has us operational again, although I do have one months free SD hosting as part of my annual support package. Not too sure we will be staying on after that, as is quite expensive compared with a lot of hosting companies. I intend to test out the hosting package on 123reg when I catch my breath

Anyway, SD support were very helpful. Process took around 2 days including changing our nameservers from 1&1 over to 123-reg, which Sellerdeck hosting were pretty insistent we do.

First note of caution if you do move nameserver - you lose immediate access to your old email account at 1&1 if you were using their webmail, so make provision if you need to (we didn't!)

Sellerdeck support are saying the issue is with 1&1 no longer using FTP and now using FTPS.
                                I am not 100% convinced, as I thought this was flagged back in 2013, so why should it be affecting our sites now?
                                Mike Hughes has posted a link to a workaround a couple of posts up, which may work if this is the case, although I did not go down that route.

Good luck. I've aged about 10 years in the last week!

Comment

Working...
                                X