Site Review: RSPB Optics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site Review: RSPB Optics

My first attempt at using Actinic with little knowledge of the software or web editing come to mention it. Deadline was tight on this one but hope to learn the whole process a little better now and maybe even take one of the Actinic courses if they are worth it.

Any feedback welcomed.

http://www.rspboptics.com/

Cheers

im no expert but i like it id be happy with it thats for sure

thats my first impression anyway

hope it does well
    Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
    Current project:
    cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
    cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
    Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Very good for a first website. As you are wanting feedback:

Product text is a little on the small side (not everyone carries a pair of binos around for enlarging ) and the add to cart button is a little out of style with the rest of the site.

May be worth making the shipping costs known before adding to the cart

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Nice site.
        For items of that price range I would like to see a phone number and address prominently displayed on the site as well as some safe shopping affiliation of some sort perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
          a phone number and address prominently displayed on the site as well as some safe shopping affiliation of some sort perhaps.
          Site confidence is lacking. I would be tempted to make more of a play on the RSPB side of things .. bigger logo, official site (assuming it is) etc as this is a very strong selling point and a big brand name in the UK.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Whilst the extra images are a nice touch, i found the experience disapointing. The images are very similar not enough defination to really tell the difference in them and the next/prev links are hard to find.

going back and forth was painful until i discovered the next/prev link quite by accident

Comment

Thanks everyone thats the kind of thing I was after.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                Whilst the extra images are a nice touch, i found the experience disapointing. The images are very similar not enough defination to really tell the difference in them and the next/prev links are hard to find.

going back and forth was painful until i discovered the next/prev link quite by accident
                Yep thats a fair point I need to go through the site and label all the images so the different models can be easily distinguished. Have to agree about the next and previous tabs I didn't see them for ages but i like the effect of the lightbox (nice one Norman) so it won me over.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                  Nice site.
                  For items of that price range I would like to see a phone number and address prominently displayed on the site as well as some safe shopping affiliation of some sort perhaps.
                  Yep thats one thing that I plan to do, presume there are no restrictions about adding card logos if you can accept them?

Comment

I wasn't referring to card logos - I think these days it's assumed that all online shops can accept most cards. I was thinking more along te lines of Safebuy or Safe Shopper etc.

Comment

I've posted here a way to convert my Lightbox to GreyBox (which has clearer Prev / Next links).

However I see you're using my Tabber as well so you'd need to do an extra step after switching to GreyBox.

Look in your overall layout for the line
                      Code:
                      function afterpageload(){<actinic:variable name="OnLoadScript" value="PreloadImages" />}
                      And change to
                      Code:
                      function afterpageload(){setallpanes();<actinic:variable name="OnLoadScript" value="PreloadImages" />}
                      Best backup and Snapshot before trying this.
                      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
                        I've posted here a way to convert my Lightbox to GreyBox (which has clearer Prev / Next links).

However I see you're using my Tabber as well so you'd need to do an extra step after switching to GreyBox.

Thanks Norman
                        I tried the GreyBox and whilst its a bit more practical with navigation I prefer the LightBox look and feel and the position of the title (and also a few issues with the tabber functionality).

I will edit the next and prev gif's and see if it makes it a bit more obvious.

Thanks again for all the comments

Tim

Comment

Right, made a few amendments to the lightbox so things should be a little clearer (I hope).

Next and Prev buttons are now constant rather than on hover and changed colour to make then stand out a little more.

http://www.rspboptics.com/acatalog/el.html

Also added some obvious contact numbers with some extra RSPB branding on the home page, still some more to do.

http://www.rspboptics.com/ (just proving that I do listen)

Comment

Next and Prev buttons are now constant rather than on hover and changed colour to make then stand out a little more.
                            Tim,

How did you do that? That would be useful. I could make it an option in Actinic.

Comment

AHAH! Found it. I'll post it on my support forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X