• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tested this one:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /cgi-bin/

..and I got back:

Allowed
    Detected as a directory; specific files may have different restrictions.

I also wonder why Google doesn't allow the sitemap found here: acatalog/sitemap.html. It finds it regulalry, but again givs it a big red cross each time.
    Dorian
    ------
    www.itmustbegreen.co.uk
    Fair-Trade & Eco-Friendly

Comment

If you click on the name of the sitemap in webmaster tools it should display "errors and warnings". This should then explain the reasons behind the red cross.
      flyingbooks secondhand, rare and collectable aviation books and publications

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got

Comment

I also wonder why Google doesn't allow the sitemap found here: acatalog/sitemap.html. It finds it regulalry, but again givs it a big red cross each time.
        actinic creates a sitemap and places it in acatalog ie sitemap.html this is not the file that google wants. The google sitemap is a different format (xml) and in the root of the site

Comment

Hi, I get: This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit.
          However - it does not give me the ability to delete any of the 3 sitemaps (all failed) up there - not sure why not?
          Dorian
          ------
          www.itmustbegreen.co.uk

Comment

As Pinbrook said, you only need one sitemap submitted to Google: It should have a file extention of .xml.
            There are two buttons on the sitemap page of webmaster tools: "delete" or "resubmit" You select a sitemap with a check box and then delete it.
            You can remove or exclude a duplicate url using your sitemap generation tool then resubmit it.
            I can recommend a read through the help files on the same page in google:
            Understanding Sitemaps, Creating Sitemaps, Sitemap Errors etc. They are pretty good, if not exactly bedtime reading!
            flyingbooks secondhand, rare and collectable aviation books and publications

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got

Comment

Thanks - I have read these many times - and I can not see a delete button - I've been trying to find that for ages and have even contacted support about it.

When it first asked for a site map I tried the one on the website (not knowing that these weren't acceptable to Google). It didn't work so I tried creating one using the Google tool (which again didn't work). I then made one using a third party bit of software which I got from the webmaster tools FAQ's which did work until a few days ago.

So, I now have 3 up there not working.
              Dorian
              ------
              www.itmustbegreen.co.uk

Comment

delete them using ftp

Comment

Hi Jo - they're already deleted via FTP (or rahter not showing up there) - the only one showing in my FTP is the .xml sitemap that was working until a couple of days ago.
                  Dorian
                  ------
                  www.itmustbegreen.co.uk

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Have found this thread and read with interest. Have implemented the suggestion about disallowing the Google bot into the cgi-bin with :

User-agent: *
                    Disallow: /cgi-bin/

However, forgive me if I have not got this correct, the sitemap still has references to the cgi-bin in it and possibly has duplicate url's :

www.acaciamasonic.com/sitemap.xml

I use an online xml sitemap generator. Is there a way of creating a sitemap to exclude the path to the cgi-bin, and not to duplicate url's?
                    Steve Jordan
                    -----------------------------
                    Error 404 - Page not found

Sellerdeck V11.03 - Business - Actinic Payments -
                    Sage Accounts 50 V16 2012 Sellerdeck Link

Acacia Masonic Regalia Masonic Regalia Masonic Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X