Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email problems - Heart Internet

Hi,

I can't seem to get the emails to work within Actinic since my webhosting migrated my site from Webfusion to Heart Internet.

I have changed the email settings within Actinic to what works on Outlook but I can't seem to get anything from Actinic.

I have done a Network test but it doens't come up with a pass just a - sign.

After that I do get an email but not when I recieve an order and customers are saying they don't get a confirmation email.

Any ideas what I might be missing?

If you search the forum you'll find the suggested Heart settings in the Knowledge base.

If they don't work for you then it's best to post your network settings into the forum for people to look at. It's hard to guess at the problem without knowing anything about what you're doing.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I did search and checked my settings where the same.

The SMTP server is : mail. then my domain
      Username and Password required is ticked
      And I have input the correct username and password, which work in Outlook.

I didn't want to include the exact settings for obvious reasons but can't see there is anywhere else to input anything.

Comment

The best way to show us your settings is to export them and then copy and paste into the forum. As long as you overwrite the username and password I can't think what reasons there might be not to do this.

Anyway, I've found your website from your profile.

Your error log has these error messages in it which should give a clue to the problem:

Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/20 12:53, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (4: <parts@allpartssouthwest.com;>: malformed address: ;> may not follow <parts@allpartssouthwest.com
        )
        Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/22 09:09, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (4: <parts@allpartssouthwest.com;>: malformed address: ;> may not follow <parts@allpartssouthwest.com
        )
        Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/23 10:07, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (4: <parts@allpartssouthwest.com;>: malformed address: ;> may not follow <parts@allpartssouthwest.com
        )
        Program = MailForm, Program version = 22784 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/26 20:16, Internal Errors = There is no valid input parameters for the script! Check the referencing HTML code!
        Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/28 12:06, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (4: <parts@allpartssouthwest.com;>: malformed address: ;> may not follow <parts@allpartssouthwest.com
        )
        Program = CATACACC, Program version = 24250 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/30 09:25, Internal Errors = No such user (or invalid password...)
        Program = CATACACC, Program version = 24250 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/30 09:25, Internal Errors = No such user (or invalid password...)
        Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/31 10:16, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 Incorrect authentication data
        )
        Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/31 10:17, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 Incorrect authentication data
        )
        Program = MailForm, Program version = 22784 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2011/12/31 21:48, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 Incorrect authentication data
        )
        Program = MailForm, Program version = 22784 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2012/01/01 02:21, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 Incorrect authentication data
        )
        Program = CATACACC, Program version = 24250 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2012/01/02 22:55, Internal Errors = No such user (or invalid password...)
        Program = CATACACC, Program version = 24250 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2012/01/02 22:55, Internal Errors = No such user (or invalid password...)
        Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2012/01/03 10:51, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 Incorrect authentication data
        )
        Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 25252 , HTTP Server = Apache/2 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2012/01/03 10:53, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 Incorrect authentication data
        )
        The key one's appear to be:

Error returned from SMTP server (4: <parts@allpartssouthwest.com;>: malformed address: ;> may not follow <parts@allpartssouthwest.com

Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 Incorrect authentication data

So make sure there's no ; after your email address and check your authentication settings.

Mike

Comment

Email Settings

Thanks for investigating. I have checked and there is no ; in the email address. This was last year when we were shut and it was supposed to be forwarded to my personal address as well as work one.

I have checked my authentication data username/password and there is no difference.

My exported settings are as follows~

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
          HTTPPROXYADDRESS
          HTTPPROXYPORT 80
          HTTPPROXYUSER
          HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
          FTPPROXYMODE 0
          FTPPROXYADDRESS
          FTPPROXYPORT 21
          FTPPROXYUSER
          FTPPROXYPASSWORD
          SCRIPTID 1
          SCRIPTEXT .pl
          SMTPHOST mail.allpartssouthwest.com
          WEBSITEURL http://www.allpartssouthwest.com/
          IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
          USERELATIVECGIURLS false
          PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
          USEENHANCEFTP true
          FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 60000
          FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
          FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL 60000
          FTPSILENT false
          FTPMAXRETRIES 3
          FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 60000
          SMTPAUTHREQUIRED true
          SMTPUSERNAME parts@allpartssouthwest.com
          SMTPPASSWORD
          COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE 1024
          COMPRESSEDUPLOAD false
          CATALOGURL http://www.allpartssouthwest.com/acatalog/
          ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME acatalog
          CGIBINURL http://www.allpartssouthwest.com/cgi-bin/
          PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../public_html/acatalog/
          CODEBASE ./
          FTPHOST ftp.allpartssouthwest.com
          FTPUSERNAME allpartssouthwest.com
          FTPPASSWORD
          PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi-bin/
          USEPASSIVEFTP true
          FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /public_html/acatalog/

Comment

The forum has a couple of things worth trying:

1. A full purge and refresh is suggested. Sometimes heart is reported to take a while before the cgi-bin becomes active. (Sounds unlikely but worth a try).

2. Try the settings here: http://community.actinic.com/showpos...52&postcount=4

i.e clear

FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /public_html/acatalog/

and try using email without stmp authentication. (make sure you clear the relevent bits before unselecting SMTP authentication as Actinic has sometimes remembered those and it's caused problems in the past).

Mike

Comment

Heart used to provide the equivalent of localhost for non-authenticated email but they don't any more.

Are you just getting the error message in Network Setup? I host a lot of Actinic sites on my reseller package at Heart and I found that, more often or not, I get the error message when testing but the site sends out the emails OK.

The message often disappears from the test after the first upload but not always.

Malcolm
              ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
              ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
              ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

I host some sites on shared hosting with Heart Internet and all use localhost successfully for non-authenticated email.
                Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
                SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
                Based in rural Northants

Comment

I have several sites on Heart as well.

Here are the network settings of my test site:

Code:
                  HTTPPROXYMODE	0
                  HTTPPROXYADDRESS	
                  HTTPPROXYPORT	80
                  HTTPPROXYUSER	
                  HTTPPROXYPASSWORD	
                  FTPPROXYMODE	0
                  FTPPROXYADDRESS	
                  FTPPROXYPORT	21
                  FTPPROXYUSER	
                  FTPPROXYPASSWORD	
                  SCRIPTID	3
                  SCRIPTEXT	.pl
                  SMTPHOST	localhost
                  WEBSITEURL	http://www.graphicz.eu.com/site1/
                  IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS	true
                  USERELATIVECGIURLS	false
                  PATHTOPERL	/usr/bin/perl
                  USEENHANCEFTP	true
                  FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT	15000
                  FTPRETRYDELAY	3000
                  FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL	30000
                  FTPSILENT	false
                  FTPMAXRETRIES	3
                  FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT	25000
                  SMTPAUTHREQUIRED	false
                  SMTPUSERNAME	
                  SMTPPASSWORD	
                  COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE	1024
                  COMPRESSEDUPLOAD	false
                  CATALOGURL	http://www.graphicz.eu.com/site1/acatalog/
                  ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME	acatalog
                  CGIBINURL	http://www.graphicz.eu.com/site1/cgi/
                  PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG	../acatalog/
                  CODEBASE	./
                  FTPHOST	ftp.graphicz.eu.com
                  FTPUSERNAME	graphicz.eu.com
                  FTPPASSWORD	**************
                  PATHTOCGIBIN	public_html/site1/cgi/
                  USEPASSIVEFTP	true
                  FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG
                  Note that I make a folder 'cgi' within public_html and CHMOD cgi and acatalog 755.
                  Jonathan Chappell
                  Website Designer
                  SellerDeck Website Designer
                  Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
                  Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

is the email address under business settings the same one you are using in the network settings?

Comment

One doesn't specify an email address in network settings.
                      You do have to (in general) make sure that the email address in business settings is on the same domain as the website. eg: my test site is graphicz.eu.com/site1/ and the email is site1@graphicz.eu.com. A lot of hosting companies won't let you send to a hotmail email address (for example) using their sendmail.
                      Jonathan Chappell
                      Website Designer
                      SellerDeck Website Designer
                      Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
                      Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

if authenticate is on the your normal username and password would be the email address, if the email account set under business settings is not a valid email then i believe from past memory that this can cause issues when trying to send

an old post http://community.actinic.com/showpos...12&postcount=2

Comment

Heart Internet :-(

Hi,

Thanks for all the help with my email problems.

I went back to Heart and asked why I was having authentication problems and a was told to try the generic mail server for the hosting account which is mail94.extendcp.co.uk.

Th junior technician then went and changed my DNS mail settings for all my domains :-(
                          This then wouldn't allow anyone to access their emails. As my account was migrated from webfusion the mail has a different IP address to allow old usernames and passwords to be used.

This meant I had to wait all day yesterday before the DNS settings were fully reversed!!

After all of this my email does now work through Actinic :-)

I am going to wait for things to settle down then I might try either the localhost option or mail.allpartssouthwest.com and see if this now works.

Comment

Working...
                          X