No announcement yet.

My Windows 7 doesn't like actinic, Any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a customer for whom the resolution problem appears to have been resolved.

The customer installed the special build of 11.0.1 but could no longer reproduce the resolution problem. He then restored the public release of 11.0.1 and still the resolution could not be reproduced.

Before installing the special build the resolution problem was easy to reproduce.

The special build does not contain any fixes and only installs the same set of files as the public release of 11.0.1 so there would be no extra files still present after downgrading back to the public release.

The only plausible explanation is that Windows Update has silently fixed something, probably a driver.

I checked the customer's Windows Updates but there was no update that relates to the problem however it is known that some updates are applied silently.

May I ask anybody that has experienced a crash which only occurs in higher resolutions to try Windows Update to see if the problem is subsequently resolved.

I'd like to know if it fixes the problem for anybody at all.

Gordon Camley

3rd Line Support
    SellerDeck.

Comment

Originally posted by gcamley View Post
      I have built a special build of Actinic 11.0.1 which is intended to try to find the underlying error and create a crash dump.

Let me know if you are willing to assist in finding the problem by installing the special build and I will send you the necessary instructions.
      I am happy to help in anyway I can. Let me know what to do
      James

Comment

Sorry but I didn't spot this thread.
        I have the same crashing problem and have started another thread at:
        http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=52452
        Has anyone come up with a solution for this?
        I've also sent in an email to support which is Call Ticket 00303305.

Thanks

Simon

Comment

Did anyone solve these problems?

Thinking of installing windows 7 32 bit instead of 64 bitonto the dell to see if that sorts out the problems, anyone tried this
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi all

After my troubles loading 10.3 to new 64 bit dell computer, deleted actinic from Program files (x86) and re-saved actinic into Program Files which aparently is the 32 bit part of windows 7

All works ok at present thanks to Jenny at support for help
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

I don't think that crystal reports 8.5 is compatible with windows 7, 64 bit (works with 32 bit), could that be contributing to the problem at all?

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                I don't think that crystal reports 8.5 is compatible with windows 7, 64 bit (works with 32 bit), could that be contributing to the problem at all?

Regards,
                It is unlikely to be behind this problem as users are encountering the crashes during content navigation rather than reporting.

Many customers are using Win 7 x64 and I'm not aware of anybody encountering problems with Crystal Reports.

Do you have any evidence that Crystal Reports 8.5 is not working on Win 7 x64?

Gordon Camley

3rd Line Support
                SellerDeck.

Comment

Hi Gordon,

My previous posting was based on searching on google - however I have taken another look and this quote is from the sap support desk for crystal report, posted by an employee of SAP.

"CR 8.5 is more than 10 years old now and had absolutely no concept of Windows 7 or the security it now has. If you want support for Windows 7 you'll have to upgrade to CR XI R2 ( 11.5 ) which is now past it's end of escalation life cycle ( no patches ) or CR 2008.

All we can suggest is you turn all security features of Windows 7 off so the COM objects have full control and test again. Or simply tell your users you don't support that Windows 7."

I haven't encountered any problems myself. We don't really work with crystal reports here anymore.

Regards,
                  Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                  Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                  Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Perhaps the problems are only related to using the CR editor on Win7 x64 and the runtime libraries are not affected. certainly we have not encountered any problems with actinic running the reports on Win7 x64.

Gordon Camley

3rd Line Support
                    SellerDeck.

Comment

The examples of failure I have seen relate reported to report loading.

My thought relating to this thread was that the loading of the older dlls required to run the reports might be causing something to clash somewhere and causing the crashes.

Cheers,

Comment

The issue we fixed was not crashing due to resolution, but due to the Sync server cutting out when opening orders.

To fix the issue completely we did uninstall a second time and reinstalled in all the ‘recommended’ location, so Program Files (x86) and then when pointing the user machine to the main one, we used the whole network path rather than via a mapped drive.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Jennifer Bray

Projects Co-Ordinator
                        SellerDeck Ltd

Comment

We now have a new case of the resolution crash stopping after a Windows Update. In fact it was the customer that started this thread that reported this morning that they are using 11.0.2 and since applying Windows Updates over the weekend the crashes have stopped.

I have checked their list of recent updates and can't see anything which looks like it may fix a Win 7 x64 specific problem however there is one update that might be the one that made the difference; it is 'Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2679255)'. This same fix is also available for Vista and x86 OSs but for some reason in separate downloads.

I would be interested to know if users that still have the resolution problem already have this update installed. I'd also like to know if after installing the latest updates including the one above it stops the crashes or not.

Gordon Camley

3rd Line Support
                          SellerDeck.

Comment

I've been experiencing the same problem.

However, most recently occurred due to a recent Windows 7 Pro update which I'm aware has caused other problems with Anti Virus software etc

Comment

Fixed - found the problem to do with ODBC Tracing being switched on. Switched it off and solved the problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...b-48327075e010

Comment

Working...
                              X