XML Sitemaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XML Sitemaps

If you have ever wondered why we bother with generating an XML sitemap, then wonder no more!. Have a look at this link for an interesting (well I thought it was interesting - but they all reckon I need to get out more!) anecdote about misusing and then understand XML Sitemaps
    John Sollars
    MD at Stinkyink.Com
    Ph 01746 781020
    Fx 01746 781698
    Em John (at) Stinkyink dot Com

Scary how a small change can provide disastrous results... funny how it is easier to kill your site than it is to improve it

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

xml so important

Geez thats scary!

I'm new to all this and working on getting google to pick up the right pages

So after a couple of days of putting together robots.txt and an accurate xml sitemap i'm looking forward to seeing if google will refresh its indexing where i want it.

Cheers for the info

Rob
      http://undermyfloor.co.uk

Comment

We binned the XML sitemap as it's too easy to get wrong, particularly with the frequency thing. We found google indexed new pages but put them straight into supplemental without indexing the content. They would then stay there for months despite all efforts to link to them from the index or from other sites etc.

Letting google find our new pages naturally from a home page link may take a day or so longer but at least it looks at them properly and most times they go straight to the main index.

I saw no increase in total pages indexed with a sitemap. My advice would be to make sure your internal linking is well structured and not bother. It gives google an excuse to not crawl your site, just index the URL and not bother with the rest.
        Blank DVD
        Cloth Nappies

Comment

John,

Which software do you use to generate your feed?

I use Mole End's mash but it doesn't have any priorities to the urls, just urls.

Kind regards

Jason
          Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
          Zirconium Rings
          Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

So the moral of the story is....automated is never easy!? I'm looking at the way our site is laid out and now thinking of the nightmare of creating an XML sitemap for the entire site with every product having its own single page

Comment

We were using G-Site crawler, and just accepted the default settings which appeared to be OK. Then Rob wrote his own version which gave us the problem. The learning curve was vicious, but I think that we are better people for a bit of pain!!!!!!!

I'm quite relaxed about it now, once we understood what had happened and how to benefit from it then we can use the knowledge. Not understanding how the Sitemap is being used is the bigger issue I think. Having set the priorities as we indicated in the Figure, the program now Auto updates at midnight every night and then pings Google to tell it if anything has changed

Anyway, as Jont said earlier, it is easier to break a website than improve it - but you know us blokes, can't stop tinkering! If it is working fine try to break it!

The thing that scared me was the speed that it all happened at, it was literally dead in hours, and when corrected fixed in hours - which is not how Google usually works
              John Sollars
              MD at Stinkyink.Com
              Ph 01746 781020
              Fx 01746 781698

Comment

Intersting stuff John. It looks like something I'll leave alone as it's too complex by far.

What are your thoughts on why the change to the 'priority' value affected the serps so much? Do you think Google just doesn't like seeing a value different from it's calculations or is that value somehow being used in determining the serps? This kind of implies that there could be scope for adjusting how Google ranks the focus of the website.

Mike

PS. The link to Google Webmaster Guidelines doesn't work.
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Morning Mike,

I don't think its complex once we understood that everything is relative to your index page which is 1. When we dropped the Priority of our printer pages to 0.4 then google just re-ranked them (is that a proper word?) to fairly unimportant in the index - we literally just dropped from front page to nowhere. When we put them back to 0.9 we were almost instantly back in the to their old positions. What I haven't said in the article is that we then (can't resist tinkering) adjusted our product pages to 0.5 to intentionally reduce their importance and increase the importance of the printer pages. That is more difficult to quantify in terms of the difference it has made to our traffic, but we are happy with it at the moment, in fact our Google traffic is increasing at our traditionally quiet time of year.

As we think we understand it, you can't increase your overall importance of your site, but RELATIVE to the importance of your index page you can adjust how Google ranks the rest of your site. That is I think where we are at.

I've searched and there is very little information out there about XML sitemaps so we are offering our experience for what it is worth, if anybody else has any experience of 'Sitemap engineering' (hey, I've invented a new discipline) I would be fascinated to discuss it

(I've fixed the Google link - thanks)
                  John Sollars
                  MD at Stinkyink.Com
                  Ph 01746 781020
                  Fx 01746 781698

Comment

Originally posted by john@stinkyink. View Post
                    I've searched and there is very little information out there about XML sitemaps so we are offering our experience for what it is worth, if anybody else has any experience of 'Sitemap engineering' (hey, I've invented a new discipline) I would be fascinated to discuss it

(I've fixed the Google link - thanks)
                    I found this on google webmaster tools for the google version of the sitemap generator, which has to run on the web site host and uses the local server logs to get information.

The Sitemap Generator assigns priority to URLs it finds in the logs based on how often each URL is accessed. For instance, a URL that has been accessed 100 times will be given a higher priority than a URL that has been accessed twice. The actual priority assignment is relative and depends on each URL as compared to other URLs in the site.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                    Custom Packages

Comment

That's interesting and bears out what we thought. What was striking about the Google auto generator is that it ranks pages on the amount of traffic, so if you prioritise your pages as we have done will Google assume that those pages are the most important?. That is certainly what we think is happening
                      John Sollars
                      MD at Stinkyink.Com
                      Ph 01746 781020
                      Fx 01746 781698

Comment

I uploaded a new site map on 28/06 (G Crawler). My business has nose dived over the past few days but I am not sure if it is just the time of year and current market. I have uploaded a mole end site map which is what I had before just in case. I will keep you posted.

Best Wishes

Geraldine
                        Stardust Funky Kids T-Shirts

Comment

I uploaded a more in-depth sitemap about a week ago and have seen a large increase in traffic.

I used the mole end feed and then added the extra information using a find and replace option in Dreaweaver, and then edited the priorities individually.

I would not under any circumstances give Google access to my server or logs just as I would not let a competitor look at my order book.

Google can rank my site on content and not how busy my site is.

A restaurant when quiet fills the window area to give the appearance it is busy. They wouldn't hang a sign on the door saying that they are empty so why actually send that sign to Google by letting them in to view.
                          Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                          Zirconium Rings
                          Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

That is really interesting John.

I'll be updating the mole end generator to allow additional pages to be defined and to include suplementary pages such as additional info pages. When I do this I will also add the option to define priority, so you can have a default one for most pages but then add a variable to the key ones that assigns a higher one to it. It will be a little while in the making but will be a good addition when it arrives.

Regards,
                            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                            Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                            A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                            Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                            Multichannel order processing
                            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Jan I was thinking about you while reading the thread, using a variable to set priorities, i like the idea

John thanks for extremely well laid out case study, and much more i thank you for sharing this sort of information

D

Comment

Working...
                              X