Site Review Plse - don't hold back !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No it isn't Google bombing!

A Google bomb (or "link bomb") is Internet slang for a certain kind of attempt to raise the ranking of a given page in results from a Google search, often with humorous or political intentions.[1] Before 2007, Google's search-rank algorithm could rank a page higher if enough other sites linked to that page using similar anchor text (linking text such as "miserable failure");[2] but Google changed the ranking by January 2007 to list pages instead about the repeated linking of that text.
    As if I would suggest such a thing.
    I said he owns all three pages and they belong to two different companies which Mr Thies also owns. So he is not doing anything wrong.
    I have another friend who owns a fire extinguisher supply company and he has segmented out his customer base and realised he has three different types of customer so he has created two more sites to 'compete' with the first (one for each segment that is bang on message) which they do without any penalty from Google.

Sorry for going off topic but I felt the explanation was warranted.
    Any way use the page descriptions as it is extremely valuable real estate on the Google results page.

Comment

kate - have a read of this it has all you need to know plus if you want some software to do your SEO for you then this is the one I would suggest you get.

Comment

That's so kind of you guys thanks very much. It appears that there is no end to this thing it is really clever stuff though. I'm seriously wondering if Google is human as it's just too wise, I peddling the notion that Google may be aliens keeping us occupied whilst planning a big invasion!
        8mm cine to dvd transfer

The only problem with an open mind is people keep trying to fill it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kate (newbie) View Post
          I'm seriously wondering if Google is human as it's just too wise, I peddling the notion that Google may be aliens keeping us occupied whilst planning a big invasion!
          Kate, you might be right!
          Tracey

Comment

I'm seriously wondering if Google is human as it's just too wise, I peddling the notion that Google may be aliens keeping us occupied whilst planning a big invasion!
            See the effect Actinic can have on your mind, turns you barking
            www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

SEO software and Info

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
              kate - have a read of this it has all you need to know plus if you want some software to do your SEO for you then this is the one I would suggest you get.

For the record - I have been using this and its excellent
              8mm cine to dvd transfer

Comment

WEBFUSION - Deleting Old URL pages

I changed my /acatalog/ to say /cine/ however google now shows BOTH pages in its listing (duplicates). If u happen upon the /cine/ pages you get the latest prices but I worry about if they get the /acatlog/ then its old and out of date, but whats worse is whatever page you click thereon shows the old pages.

I cant understand that if i have redone (overwritten) these pages then how come the server is showing them?
                It's because when you changed the acatalog you in effect created a duplicate of the site on your server due to the new file names.

Actinic will not delete the old pages so you need to clean them off your server manually. As you say everything will work on them including ordering. Changingthe acatlog name on sites that have been uploaded do need a bit of tinkering with
                Having a nightmare sorting. I am with WEBFUSION RESELLER SHARED server. There is nowhere in WEBFUSION ADMIN to find pages to delete. I spoke to WEBFUSION and they say its an ACTINIC PROBLEM, I quoted them MAL's comment above and I am waiting for them to come back.

Has anyone else had this prob and how did they solve - SOLVE meaning HOW to delete old URL's on WEBFUSION SERVER. I've eaten a hole pack of Hob Nobs with anger and thats made the problem even worse cos I'm gona be fat as well !
                8mm cine to dvd transfer

Comment

LOL Kate
                  Bless ya!

Can't you ftp into the site using an FTP program?
                  You could remove the whole acatalog folder in one go that way
                  Tracey

Comment

The easiest way is to use some FTP software and delete the files using that. You cannot do it within actinic. There is a file manager in your hosting control panel.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
                      Can't you ftp into the site using an FTP program?
                      You could remove the whole acatalog folder in one go that way
                      The easiest way is to use some FTP software and delete the files using that. You cannot do it within actinic. There is a file manager in your hosting control panel.
                      oh thats Great, thats the missing link ! Many thanks - I will use the one in Webfusion then. Another thing to learn ! I'm going to be a geek !
                      8mm cine to dvd transfer

Comment

As has been said - you need to access your site directly using an FTP programme.
                        On recommendations from elsewhere in this Forum I have been using Filezilla and find it's the best FTP software I've used and I've tried quite a few.

Go for the Geek - it's great. Imagine never having to excuse or justify your behaviour/appearance ever again! "Oh don't worry about her - she's a Geek".
                        Marvellous. Best get out of [social] jail card there is IMO

Ask Tracey
                        Kind Regards
                        Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
                          As has been said - you need to access your site directly using an FTP programme.
                          On recommendations from elsewhere in this Forum I have been using Filezilla and find it's the best FTP software I've used and I've tried quite a few.

Go for the Geek - it's great. Imagine never having to excuse or justify your behaviour/appearance ever again! "Oh don't worry about her - she's a Geek".
                          Marvellous. Best get out of [social] jail card there is IMO

Ask Tracey

another vote for Filezilla though. Best part is it's free
                          Tracey

Comment

If using Firefox then it has to be FireFTP. Been using it for years without any problems whatsoever, is rock solid, dead easy to use and free.
                            The trick is find something that works and stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bamboo View Post
                              If using Firefox then it has to be FireFTP. Been using it for years without any problems whatsoever, is rock solid, dead easy to use and free.
                              The trick is find something that works and stick with it.
                              Hmm - haven't tried that - thanks. I'll give it a go.
                              I know there's this wonderful world of Firefox plug-ins, I just don't have the time to investigate them
                              Use Firebug, though of course. What a cool piece of software.

Off-topic - I use Opera as my main browser (then FF, then IE) and the latest version has a really cool Bookmark (Favourites) synchronisation thingy - Bookmarks are kept synchronised across all computers that you set up to match each other - fantastically useful for separate locations/laptop etc.

I expect someone will be along in a minute to mention this has been available for years on such a such a browser
                              Kind Regards
                              Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Well a bit longer than a minute but here is the Firefox version snappily named Foxmarks!

Comment

Working...
                                X