Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google listing only one keyword

Hi Every one
    I am trying to find out i am only listed for and designer lighting in google only. And I come about 4th place for designer lighting. But nothing else.

I am listed in yahoo and MSN for lost of keywords and text that is on my site.

All of my pages are indexed in google.

I did had a company called first found doing SEO on my site. They got me listed for designer lighting.

I am trying to find out why I am only getting listed for jglighting and designer lighting only.

Any help or advise would be grateful
    Elliott - Weybridge Lights

www.weybridgelights.co.uk

There is simply a lack of text on your site with many section links going to subsections with no text whatsoever.
    When you get to a product page there is a bare minimum of text hardly enough for a human visitor to make a buying decision let alone a search algorithm figure out what the page is about.

Being listed for a broad match keyword phrase like "designer lighting" will get you a lot of browsers but few people wanting to buy as you have probably found out. I hope you no longer use the SEO company who achieved this minor miracle.

Go get Mal's (ruralweb) free seo e-book. Read, digest, take action & implement & come back and tell us all how it has improved your rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by bamboo View Post
      There is simply a lack of text on your site with many section links going to subsections with no text whatsoever.
      When you get to a product page there is a bare minimum of text hardly enough for a human visitor to make a buying decision let alone a search algorithm figure out what the page is about.
      Thanks for your advice

I know there is not a great deal of text on other than the home page. I am working to get short descriptions on all of the products so there is lots more text on the sections.

What i am trying to say why google search results don't show any of the text that is on my home page.

If I search "Our range of lighting will compliment" on yahoo and MSN our site will show up first and other keywords BUT NOT ON GOOGLE.

This make me think that google have banned my site or somthing like that.

Comment

As well as Mal's book get hold of this plugin & add it to Firefox. It will prove invaluable.

Comment

All sites seem to get listed on Yahoo and MSN long before Google takes a liking so it may not be personal. Don't try anything knee jerk but build a sustainable campaign. Content is still king so get to adding product descriptions, section text, fragments, brochure pages etc... don't spam it with keywords but add valuable and useful info about what you are doing.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks for your Replies.

The thing I can not understand is why I am not coming up on google for any text that is on my home page.

I do understand about keyword are harder to get on the first and second page for but not for unique text that is on my home page.

And for designer lighting I show up about 4th.

This lead me to say that google has block my site due to the work that First Found did to my site and SEO to get me listed for designer lighting.

Comment

What are First Found saying about it?

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I'd be more interested in the SERPS for my product pages, people aren't interested in arriving on home pages, it's not specific enough in the main. If they're not bothered, nor should you be IMO.

Comment

A search on "site:www.jglighting.co.uk" shows 1,980 pages listed.
                  I don't think Google has blocked you.

Comment

This may be because you've stuck all your content in a scrollable window. If I were google I'd probably consider this as a way of adding content that isn't visible to the visitor ( mostly true here) and exclude it from the index.

Mike
                    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hmm good point, the old debate about scrollable windows.

I put in a scrollable window so the user doesn't have to scroll the page, they just scroll the window and get it annoyingly interacting with their scroll mouse instead.

Comment

Just ran a couple of quick tests on your site.

You have very few backlinks (<500). 80% of them are from web directories. A few I checked out had the anchor as 'Ceiling lights'.

On checking Google, you're not in the top 10.

With so little backlinks from sites with no 'power' (or 'authorisation', however you like to put it) - this tool shows why. The competitiveness of that phrase is very high. I suspect this is probably where your problem stems from.

I don't know how much you ploughed into First Found, but I'd say it's a lost cause. They're not doing anything for you IMO, especially at the rate most UK-based SEO companies will charge.

Comment

We have stop using first found about 5 moths ago because they only got us designer lighting.

We used to be listed for other keywords IE."wisedim" ect. that related to our site.

I do have anther company doing linking for us.

I might be wrong say this but I thought google will still pick up some of the text on our home page.

I have looked at new sites with no page ranked and there text still come up on google.

Do any one know if google would penalized my site if first found did some thing to get us listed for "designer lighting"

Comment

What particular phrase on your home page are you meaning when you say it doesn't come up in Google?

Don't make your working life an even bigger misery by posting the phrase in plain text on the forum, we don't want the Community thread to start ranking above your shop

Search for the phrase within quotations, as the Google search will match the exact phrase.

If your site is not within the normal results and is only shown once you click the 'repeat the search with the omitted results included' link at the end of the search results, it's almost a certainty that you've been punished for one reason or another.

IMO you need to fix all the on-site issues before you start battling with off-site issues.

Comment

Do any one know if google would penalized my site if first found did some thing to get us listed for "designer lighting
                              Yes it would - many (not me!) will do anything to get you ranking for the keyword you are paying for. They know how they can get fast results at the expence of your sites long term health. First Found are "well known" in the business of SEO

Comment

Working...
                              X