new domain setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new domain setup

We are using a .com domain at the moment but we want to start to use a .co.uk one so:

Can I just change the relevant domain name bits in the network setup i.e. the catalog URL and the CGI-BIN URL (along with any associated email addresses) and when I upload the site it will work ok?

Thanks for any help and advice,

Graham

You'll probably need to change the FTP server address and its login details too.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies

I will contact our hosting guys and get them to do the "301 redirect" and also about the ftp server address.

Thanks for your help,

Graham

Comment

errmmm

It really depends on what you currently have setup, is the .co.uk an alias on the .com server? is the .co.uk a new addition?

there are different ways to handle the same thing. If you have just purchased the .co.uk then use this as an alias on your .com account. If you not happy doing it this way (i would as google will index it pretty fast anyway) then setup the .co.uk, upload your site then use a 301 redirect from the .com and once thats done then change the .com to be an alias of the .co.uk (and change the ns records to point to the new .co.uk if with a new host if using different ns servers) and remove your current hosting.

so a more detailed explaination of what you have setup will help with a better reply

Comment

Working...
        X