Error message - Actinic failed to open the database DSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error message - Actinic failed to open the database DSN

When I went to open up Actinic catalog 10 this morning I got this error message:

Actinic failed to open the database DSN=ActinicCatalog10.
    The database may be corrupt or the version may be newer than expected.
    This prevents Actinic working.

I got a helpful suggestion from Louise @ Peblaco to do a database repair using Access, but that did not work as I got another error message:

The error was:
    The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

Confusing, as no one else uses Actinic but me.

Louise had another suggestion to roll back the computer, but that did not work as it said no changes had been made.

Typical, on a holiday weekend when Actinic will not re-open until Wednesday. Any other ideas in the meantime would be gratefully received..

Louise's advice was right. See here in the knowledge base http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=51523

If there's a conflict then it suggests actinic or another process is still trying to access the database. You could try restarting your PC to close everything down and then try to repair the database again.

Mike

PS. If you ever backup the database on exit you could also try recovering from that. Make sure you make a copy of your existing database for safety in case anything goes wrong.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I have restarted and tried again on a number of occasions, but still no luck with that.

I do have a pretty recent backup - sorry to be dense here, but how do I get that to work when Actinic won't open?

Comment

I've never had to do it myself but I'd imagine there are a few ways:

1. Backup your site1 folder just in case you ever want it again.

2. the snapshot is just a zip file so you could:

a) Unzip the snapshot and extract the database into your site1 folder (the quick option)
        b) Rename the site1 folder then create a new site1 folder and unzip the whole snapshot into that.
        c) re-install actinic to get a clean install and then import the snapshot into that.

Mike

Comment

As far as I know actinic is still based on access 2000 so make sure you dont upgrade it to a later version if you try to repir it using access
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
            I've never had to do it myself but I'd imagine there are a few ways:

1. Backup your site1 folder just in case you ever want it again.

2. the snapshot is just a zip file so you could:

a) Unzip the snapshot and extract the database into your site1 folder (the quick option)
            b) Rename the site1 folder then create a new site1 folder and unzip the whole snapshot into that.
            c) re-install actinic to get a clean install and then import the snapshot into that.

Mike
            Thanks Mike,

I can't seem to open the back up file to unzip it, and I am slightly wary of the uninstalling and re-installing option.

Comment

If memory serves me, the acd files need a early copy of winzip to open, but may have been updated over time

Try to change the name to xxx.zip rather tha xxx.acd and try that but make sure you have a copy of the original xxx,acd file first to protect yourself
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

7-zip is free and will open the .acd fine.

Mike

Comment

Thanks again Mike, 7-zip worked a treat. I copied the Actinic db into the site 1 folder, and took a deep breath - it worked! I had a little bit of backtracking to do, nothing to speak of. I am so grateful to Mike for getting me up and running again. Where would we be without the helpful members of Actinic community?

Comment

I would also like to give a huge thanks to Mike Hughes for this problem solver

I have just had identical issues with a V9 installation and this has solved the issue completely with a minimum of fuss (also due to my regular back-ups )

Last time I had this issue I had to do a complete un-install and re-install which was a PITA as i'm using a multi-site version.

Thank you!

Comment

I have found that keeping a backup copy of the MDB file has got me out of trouble with this problem on all verisons of Sellerdeck/Actinic it's now become routine to backup the MDB file then make a snapshot ACD file.
                      Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                      www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

Mole End does a free and unbeatable tool for backing up the database - Easy Orders Backup - runs to your schedule. I back up to Dropbox every 20 minutes. Peace of mind alongside regular snapshots.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Mole End
                        Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Working...
                        X