Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice?

Hi
    We have had our website running for around 3 months now, and we are not getting many organic visitors yet.
    I was kinda hoping that someone could tell me if there is anything obviously wrong with the site seo wise. I do know that we still have work to do on it as regards design. But any input would be gratefully received.
    http://www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

thank you

kind regards
    Thank you
    Kind regards
    Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

A quick look suggests:

1. Your site has been indexed by Google. 3,160 pages in total (although many pages are cgi-bin copies)

2. You don't appear to have ANY links showing in ahrefs. Congratulations on getting your first link.

3. Many pages have a distinct lack of content (i.e. readable text that isn't a link).

And the solution to these is pretty much the answer.

- Use Canonical elements to tell Google which pages are duplicates and what the correct page is.
    - Get relevant links to your website
    - Make sure all your pages have useful and relevant information.

And above all else, make sure you know what keywords and phrases people might be using to find products like yours and make sure you use them on your site. Use them in page names, content and links.

Simples.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike
      Thank you for your response.

I realise that I need to add more text to the home page and some products need a description and 1 02 two images are missing. These I can sort out no problem.

I hav recently started to get quality inbound links

I have relevent keywords.

I am using the meta title and meta description for each page/product.

In Google webmaster tools -

Crawl errors - 77 404 errors and all these pages are either products and extended pages that have been deleted
      or
      cgi bin urls which I have no idea what they are.

Are these the pages you are saying that Google is reading instead of the actual url it should be reading?
      What is cgi bin and why do I have to have it?

How do I do these canonical elements?

Also in Webmaster tools I havwe checked my internal links and I only have 9 pages which are linked to internally for some reason. I did a bit of reading and I think that this is beacause Google is finding it difficult to read my pages because I use the filtering system. Have I got this correct and if so, can I do something about this without changinh from the filtering?

I know I have lots of questions, sorry.

I do try and read about these things and some goes in but lots just floats straight over my head!

Thank you for any enlightment
      Thank you
      Kind regards
      Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

Sellerdeck uses perl scripts to run all the operations behind the website. So things like the shopping cart, checkout process, search results and pages resulting from a search, best seller list, new product list, etc are generated by the perl scripts which run in the cgi-bin directory.

As a result, the search engines can see two versions of your product pages. The normal static (.html) pages and the ones generated by the perl scripts.

To avoid confusion, and let the search engines know that the one in the cgi-bin is a copy, we use a canonical link element on the web page to say what the correct page is.

Put the code here http://community.sellerdeck.com/show...44&postcount=2 in the header section of your page layout and that should do it for you.

I wouldn't worry at the moment about there only being 9 pages shown with internal links at the moment. Fix the canonical links and get more relevant external links and it will sort itself out.

Mike

Comment

Hi
          Thank you Mike (and Norman)

I think I've put the code in correctly.

Should I mark as fixed for the cgibin urls in Webmaster tools or just leave it?

kind regards
          Joanne
          Thank you
          Kind regards
          Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

You might as well mark as fixed. All this does is remove it from the list so you know you've tried to fix it. If Google sees the same problem appear it will just add it back to the list again.

Mike

Comment

You have something odd going on in the middle of your web pages.

Just before the H1 product description you have this duplicate header section appearing:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
              <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
              <head>
              <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
              <title>Rolls 19mm Neo Ball Spun Brass Curtain Pole 120cm</title>
              <style type="text/css">
              .description {
              font-size: 14px;
              font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
              }
              description {
              font-weight: normal;
              }
              .heading1 {
              font-size: 18px;
              }
              .list { font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
              }
              </style>
              </head>
              You need to find out where it's coming from and remove it.

Mike

Comment

Ok

This is part of my product description. I take it is not a good idea to put this here, it was to style my description. I will change it and just use html. Am I still able to use H1, H2 etc tags? in this area

Also, I am thinking of using Tabber jQuery

kind regards
                Joanne
                Thank you
                Kind regards
                Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

It's good to define css styles within the head tag but there should only be one at the start of the page. Move your styling there if you want to keep it.

Norman's Tabber jquery is good.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Thank you for all your help.

I'll be re jigging all my descriptions - fingers crossed I get it right!

kind regards
                    Joanne
                    Thank you
                    Kind regards
                    Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

cgi bin crawl errors

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                      Sellerdeck uses perl scripts to run all the operations behind the website. So things like the shopping cart, checkout process, search results and pages resulting from a search, best seller list, new product list, etc are generated by the perl scripts which run in the cgi-bin directory.

As a result, the search engines can see two versions of your product pages. The normal static (.html) pages and the ones generated by the perl scripts.

To avoid confusion, and let the search engines know that the one in the cgi-bin is a copy, we use a canonical link element on the web page to say what the correct page is.

Put the code here http://community.sellerdeck.com/show...44&postcount=2 in the header section of your page layout and that should do it for you.

I wouldn't worry at the moment about there only being 9 pages shown with internal links at the moment. Fix the canonical links and get more relevant external links and it will sort itself out.

Mike
                      Hi

After the fix for the canonical links was used, the crawl errors did reduce in number, but they are on the increase again. Why? and what can I do about it?

kind regard
                      sJoanne
                      Thank you
                      Kind regards
                      Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

What are the crawl errors that are showing up in webmaster tools?

If they're 404 errors for old pages that have been removed then that is normal and the correct behaviour. Google sees the 404 error and knows not to include these non-existent pages in the index.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                          What are the crawl errors that are showing up in webmaster tools?

If they're 404 errors for old pages that have been removed then that is normal and the correct behaviour. Google sees the 404 error and knows not to include these non-existent pages in the index.

Mike
                          Hi Mike

They are 404 errors, but they seem to be for cgi pages for main section pages, which I though I had sorted with the earlier piece of code.
                          http://www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk/cgi-...or-Blinds.html

Also, I have them without the cgi prefix
                          http://www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk/acat...les_17-p1.html

This is one of the offending urls

kind regards
                          Thank you
                          Kind regards
                          Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

The example in the /acatalog/ folder looks like an old page that has had the page name changed.

The one in the /cgi-bin/ is not a perl generated duplicate (which we fixed with the canonical links) and will probably have come from a badly generated network setup or a mistake in the page layout.

I've run Xenu linksleuth on your site and all the links look fine now so these errors look like historical problems that have gone away. Google is still remembering the bad links but that's what happens when you remove old pages or make a linking mistake somewhere.

There are some odd links coming from one page that xenu can't parse. Probably because they're so long (although Chrome is happy enough with them). I don't know if there's a problem or it's just the way sellerdeck works with filter pages but one example link is;

http: // www .ukcurtainpoles.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000002.pl?SO=1_3_4_0&TB=A&FILTERPAGE=Curtain-Track-Accessories-p1.html&FT=GF&SX_IN=0&S_1_66003_0=&S_1_66103_0=&SX_ID=30&S_1_66102_0=&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&SO=1%5f3%5f4%5f0&PN=0
                            (I broke the link so you can see the full effect - Lots of scrolling right.)

Personally, I don't think this right so it's maybe worth getting sellerdeck to look into it as a potential bug.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Thank you for checking the urls are ok for me. It is good to know that they are ok.

The other bit doest look good. I will send over to SellerDeck for them to check it out. I will let you know the outcome if you want

kind regards
                              Joanne
                              Thank you
                              Kind regards
                              Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X