website without a brochure page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

website without a brochure page

How do I get the Product (index.html) to be the home page?

Within Network settings, I can only point the catalog URL to: www.prosoundtools/acatolog/ this means that the product index (intended home page) page is held in the above directory and can’t be used as the home page i.e not in the root dir
    ------------------------------------------------
    Real Time Embedded System Design,
    Consumer AV product (Assembler / C) richard@binaryimage.co.uk
    Professional Audio Product Sales (online) www.prosoundtools.com
    ------------------------------------------------

You will need to first of all ensure that all of your network settings work as per the normal acatalog usage settings.

Then close down Actinic and open the ActinicCatalog.mdb file located within your site1 folder.

Within that locate the setup2 table.

Where ever there is a reference to /acatalog, you will need to remove it.

Once you have found all references to /acatalog and removed them, then close down Access to save the amended table.

NOTE: You will no longer be able to even click Apply or OK within the Network Setup dialog again, as doing this will re-insert the /acatalog bits into the setup2 table.

Then, you will need to FTP into your hosting account and delete the files located within your CGI-BIN, as they currently think that your site resides within the /acatalog folder, so trying to do an update will not work as it will have conflicting information in the online cgi-bin compared to what the database says.

Once the files in the CGI-BIN have been deleted then update your site and the files will be uploaded ok.

We did this with www.theflyingpiguk.com and works well.

Another alternative is to attempt to get the site to parse the acatalog folder for the root of the site by its server controlled httpd.conf settings.

Be careful if this site is live and operational and always take a backup before attempting anything within the sites database files...

Hope this helps........

Comment

Another alternative is to attempt to get the site to parse the acatalog folder for the root of the site by its server controlled httpd.conf settings.
      This is what we tend to recommend here at Actinic. Basically, get your web host to treat www.prosoundtools/acatalog/ as the 'root' of your website.

Comment

I have had this problem for years, I dont really know enough to go fumbling about in the files but then...I changed hosting companies at the weekend and asked them to do it for me, its a bit like witchcraft to me but I am very pleased with the results.
        I dont know if I am allowed to mention them here but I have done on my site!
        http://www.pinkcatgifts.co.uk
        Back up and running thanks to help from Actinic community!!
        http://www.pinkcatgifts.co.uk

Comment

Just a question by someone who can not read fast enough ...
          Couldn't the template for the antinic front page be edited to provide min function and achive the same result?

Please say yes since that is what I was wanting to do ...

Llaamaboy
          Llaamaboy

Comment

If you mean main function then you are on the right lines.

You can certainly customise the overall layout template for the first brochure page (sometimes called the 'home page') to add in store functionality. I do this my copying and pasting features (e.g. the simple search bar, view cart and checkout buttons etc.) from my fully generated store pages into Act_BrochurePrimary.html.

What you can't do easily is put in add to cart buttons onto the front page of your store.

Comment

I have a related problem to this issue, which I' getting very confused by:

I have a client who already have a website and they will additionally have now have an Actinic store, as a sub-site. They do not need nor want the initial home brochure page and want the store to be located like the following:

http://www.clientdomain/shop/ or worse case; http://www.clientdomain/acatalog/

I know, from reading the above, previous items that this can kind of be done via hacking the database or by editing the httpd.conf (client doesn't want to use the latter method). What my concern is that the home brochure page will still get uploaded to the root directory which is very important that this does not happen as it cannot affect the current main site.

Is is possible to stop the brochure page being uploaded and/or completely remove it from the Actinic site?

The client is running Actinic 8.5.2.

Any help is much appreciated.

Richard.
              Web . Design . Multimedia . Branding

Comment

You can remove the home page, you can specify it is not to be the home page and you can also rename it. Any of those 3 options will ensure you have no issues.

Comment

Cheers Lee.

What a dunce! I'm not sure why not try just deleting the brochure homepage. I've tried it now and works a treat.

Many thanks.
                  Web . Design . Multimedia . Branding

Comment

You can remove the home page, you can specify it is not to be the home page and you can also rename it. Any of those 3 options will ensure you have no issues.
                    I the older versions there was a function you could tick that said do not overwirte the front page or index.html.
                    Is this still available and if so where is it as I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
                    Keith

Cheers Keith

Comment

It's a message that comes up on screen when you first go to upload a home page, you usually tick it and then never see it again, it will be a hidden setting in the software i suspect. To make sure that cannot happen, just remove the home page completely, leaving just the shop top icon (wad of dollars).

Comment

Cheers Lee

The company have a few brochure pages as well under the home section so I may simply keep overwriting the index page on ftp for now till I make up those pages too outside of actinic.

Ta!
                        Keith

Cheers Keith

Comment

Here's another way that seems to work.

Select the Actinic home page in the Content Tree and under Layout / Brochure Page Layout note down the layout name used. Locate that Layout in the library (under Web Page Outer Layout). Right-click it and choose Copy. Rename that copy to something like External Home Page.

Edit that new "External Home Page" layout and replace everything with your external designs HTML.

Now select the Actinic home page in the Content Tree and under Layout / Brochure Page Layout, select the "External Home Page" layout.

You can keep images referenced in this design in your Site folder (or a sub-folder of it). Actinic will automatically upload them (into the acatalog folder and will modify the src="..." attributes to match).

You can now maintain your home page layout by editing it in the Design tab or in the Library and you'll see it in the Actinic preview window.
                          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                            Cheers Lee

The company have a few brochure pages as well under the home section so I may simply keep overwriting the index page on ftp for now till I make up those pages too outside of actinic.

Ta!
                            Keith
                            If you untick the 'use as website home page' option, are you saying that it still uploads the home page? If so, that's surely a bug you're experiencing. If it asks a question and then ignores it, it's pointless asking surely.

Comment

Working...
                            X