Simple Variable Searching???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Variable Searching???

I have a variable called "review" at the product level which contains about 5 lines of text about the product.

I have made this searchable. But yet it does not seem to show any results when i search for a specific word. Is there anything else i need to do to get this to show within the search results.

Thanks in Advance

Ben
    Ben Adcock
    Caged Fish Web Design

This is still happening, my initial problem existed in 8.03. But upgraded to 8.04 to see if the problem still exists and unfortunately it does.

Got the Client coming in on Weds, and this is the only niggle left to iron out.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance

Ben
    Ben Adcock
    Caged Fish Web Design

Comment

Ben,

Have you got the variable set to 'Upload'?
      Cheers

David
      Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Hi Ben,

The only way to get it to work is by adding the variable to Settings | Search Settings | Searchable Properties, but doing this I'm afraid will result in a list being created on the Advanced Search page and this list will contain all the values being passed to the variable.
        Kiran Chandran
        Technical Support - SellerDeck
        http://www.sellerdeck.co.uk/

Further help can also be found at http://community.sellerdeck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Comment

Have you added the variable to the 'Searchable Properties' grid in 'Settings | Search Settings'. This controls who people can search on the values entered the the user-definable variable fields.

I'm guessing though that you wanted to be able to search on the content of these fields in addition to the full description - I'm afraid that this isn't the way that searching on user-definable property values works. They are set up to work like separate filter fields rather than free text fields.

A thought - are you using your 'Extended Information Text' fields at all? If not, you could put the text in those fields, rather than user-definable variable fields - that way, they will be searched as free text fields. If you are thinking 'how on aearth will I move all that data?' - don't worry. A quick way to do it is a 'File | Export', which will export the store as a hierarchical file. Then fo a 'File | Snapshot | Export Site' to back up your site.

Once you've done the backup, do a 'File | Import' and import the hierarchical file. Do a store 'Update' rather than refresh, and when you get to the product mapping screen, map your user-definable field to the 'Extended Information Text' field - that will move all the data in one hit.

Hope that lot is useful to you.

Comment

Thanks for your answers guys. I guessed as much at the searchable properties, though deep down i was hoping it was a bug due to a cocktail of the various tickboxes available in the search settings window.

Unfortunately Chris all of my extended information windows are being used already and i didn't want to create any extra tickboxes / dropdowns on the search page.

I will just explain to the client how it is and ask them to try and get a key phrase at the end of the product description.

Thanks again
            Ben Adcock
            Caged Fish Web Design

Comment

Working...
            X