PayPal Integration - Address - Seller Protection Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PayPal Integration - Address - Seller Protection Policy

I have been researching with paypal exactly when a transaction is covered under their seller protection policy. There is quite a list of items to conform to. One is the customer postal address. They tell me that if the customer postal address is not shown in the transaction 'detail' page (when you log in to paypal) then the transaction is not covered. It seems to me that the address is never passed to paypal from Actinic to be included in this area. The detail area just says, 'Postal Address: No Address Provided ' on all of the transactions we take through paypal, even our most trusted of customers. Anyone any similar experience on this/know if it's actually working ?

Paul

Hi Paul,

The addresses are passed on to Paypal from Actinic and the paypal field names for them are address1 and address2. If you are not getting the addresses on confirmation then you might want to check with Paypal as to why that is not happening.

Cheers,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Reply From Paypal Tech Support

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

After testing your website, I can see that your 3rd party software is
      passing the variable 'no_shipping' to us with the rest of the payment
      details. This is causing our system to not ask the buyer to supply
      you with a shipping address. Please remove this code so that your
      buyers will have the ability to send you their shipping address. The
      code looks as follows:

<input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="1">

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us
      again.

Sincerely,
      Jessica
      PayPal Tech Support

-------------------
      So, is this an Actinic Problem or ?

Paul

Comment

I have just tested my site to find the same problem.

How and where do I remove this line from?

Kind Regards

Jason
        www.qualitysilver.co.uk
        Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
        Zirconium Rings
        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Go into the 'CommonOCC' folder within 'Site1' and open 'OCCPayPalTemplate.pl' in Notepad.

Search for 'no_shipping'. You will highlight the line...
          Code:
          AddPostValues ('&', 'no_shipping', 1, $ALWAYS, $NOENCODE); # don't use paypal's shipping calculator
          Comment out this line by moving the '#' to the start of the line. e.g.
          Code:
          # AddPostValues ('&', 'no_shipping', 1, $ALWAYS, $NOENCODE); don't use paypal's shipping calculator
          Please note I haven't tested this as I don't have an account but it looks like it should work.

Comment

unfortunately removing no_shipping allows the customer to select a different shipping address which will not be seen by actinic - which could be confusing and is a potential security risk.

Comment

I tried this fix and refreshed the website. I am still getting paypal payments with no address in the detail area. Anymore suggestions ? Quite a fuss was made about the integration of Actinic with Paypal, yet it does not really seem to work properly. Can Actinic have a chat with paypal about this ?

Comment

I have asked the development team for input on this. I will get back to you if I hear anything.

Comment

Paypal Integration

I am having the same problem as in this thread, I notice there has been no reply since July, I now have a actinic site using PayPal, and everything works ok, but as mentioned in the thread I am not getting the address of the purchaser being passed to paypal. Has any progress been made on this thread?

Regards
                  Peter

Comment

This seems to have been conveniently forgotten about. It's still very much an issue for us as well. We end up refunding a lot of higher value payments from paypal and getting the customer to pay via our credit card PSP, as we can at least see if the card matches to delivery address etc.

The other element to this problem is that if the Paypal user decides to pay using an 'e-check', which is when the money is taken by Paypal from the customers bank account. The customer's order sits in PSP Pending, but does not move to completed when the 'e-check' has been cleared by Paypal (upto a week later).

If my terminology is correct, there is no 'callback' on Paypal 'e-check' payments. This means your customer could have fully paid and you don't notice it. Their order is sitting in the PSP pending folder. Mmmm.

The last thing I heard, the developers were looking at this lot ?

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul
                      Thanks for the quick reply, my client is making the transition from e-bay to a full Actinic solution, and thought that PayPal would be ok to use with Actinic as we have looked at the option of World Pay and the yearly charges seem quite steep for a small business £350 + per year including set up fee.

As you know one of Paypals clauses is that you ship to the address of the card...

Peter...

Comment

You said:
                        'As you know one of Paypals clauses is that you ship to the address of the card...'

This is exactly the point. Any Actinic host taking a Paypal payment right now is paying the full 3.9% processing fee to Paypal, but gets no seller protection because Actinic is not passing or Paypal is not accepting, the buyers name and address details from the Actinic order.

QED Actinic is not so good a solution for those who wish to have a sole PSP of PAYPAL.

Comment

There is a similar thread located here http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=7520

There is mention of a script which will fix the problem of paid Nochex & Paypal orders being down loaded into payment pending. I contacted Actinic in August asking for details on the script. I was given a report number but 10 weeks later no reply.
                          I agree with Paul that the integration between Actinic & Paypal is not sufficient in order to be advertised as a payment method.
                          Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
                          Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Paul,
                            You said:

Originally posted by paulh69
                            unfortunately removing no_shipping allows the customer to select a different shipping address which will not be seen by actinic - which could be confusing and is a potential security risk.
                            however in these cases wouldn't you use the confirmation e-mail that you get from PayPal? I would want to be sure that it was shipped to the correct person no matter the security risk in actinic. I agree however that we should somehow get a call back from PayPal relative to e-checks. The only notification I received from PayPal was via e-mail telling me that my customer's e-check had cleared. I then went to actinic and entered the payment details. A little more work, but hey I still got the sale.

Eagle
                            Isaiah 40:31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

Comment

As you say, we have to enter all the details manually which wasn’t a problem when we first started but now we are receiving a lot of orders it is starting to be time consuming. We don’t actually rely on the e-mail and tend to prefer to check the Paypal account manually for payment. If Paypal and Actinic communicated as they should then I’m sure this extra work would not be necessary.
                              Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
                              Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Working...
                              X