No announcement yet.

Specifying fixed web page width breaks layouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you fix the value of 'Width For Main Area' then you need to set corresponding values for 'Width of sidebar(s) in pixels' and 'Width of web pages in pixels', and vice versa. See the section "The 'Themes' Window" in the main help for some example values.

If your aim is to disable the responsive behaviour, this can be done simply by setting 'Adapt Page Layouts To Screen Size' to 'False', under ‘Appearance Settings’ in the ‘General’ tab of the Site Options. This setting is also documented in the same section of the help.
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

That's not what I want at all. Just a responsive site that is not 100% wide in desktop.
      960px seems to be a pretty standard width for responsive frameworks in desktop
      Jonathan Chappell
      Website Designer
      SellerDeck Website Designer
      Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
      Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

If you want a responsive site that is not 100% wide in desktop (ie the page width reduces on small screens, but never grows above a certain size) then the method in the help, which I just described, will give you that. The following values seem about right for an overall width of 960 px

Width For Main Area: 660
        Width of sidebar(s) in pixels: 150
        Width of web pages in pixels: 960

If you change the sidebar width then you will need to make an equal and opposite change to the Main Area width; or double, if you have two sidebars.
        Bruce Townsend
        Ecommerce Product Manager
        Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Using the Smart theme, setting a desktop maximum width of e.g. 960 pixels while keeping the site fully responsive seems to be just a matter of specifying
          Code:
          .bulk-area {max-width:960px;}
          and leaving Site Options width settings for Main Area, Sidebars and Web Pages blank.

Here are instructions for doing this:

Back your site up first.
          In Design Library | Variables, create a new variable called WebPageMaxWidthRWD. The easiest way to do this is find WebPageOverallWidth in the Site group, copy it and rename it.

In Settings | Site Options | General | Site, set WebPageMaxWidthRWD to the maximum width you want your site to be on a desktop display, e.g. 960. Ensure that ACTSTDWITH, WebPageOverallWidth and WebPageSidebarWidth are all blank.

In the Current Stylesheet (Smart Responsive Stylesheet) find .bulk-area – probably on line 247. You’ll see 2 sets of BLOCKIFS. Under the second /BLOCK (line 256) insert the following code:

Code:
          <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22WebPageOverallWidth%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22%22%20AND%0d%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22WebPageMaxWidthRWD%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22%22" >
          max-width:<actinic:variable name="WebPageMaxWidthRWD" />px;
          </actinic:block>
          Then publish the site. The bulk areas of the pages will not exceed the maximum width but will still collapse properly. Note that the header and footer areas are still full width; you can make them the same width as the bulk area by amending the Smart Responsive Stylesheet at Line 30 onwards to:

Code:
          #wrapper {width:auto;max-width:960px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;}
          .subHeader, .header-area, .footer-area {
          	width:100%; 
          	max-width:<actinic:variable name="WebPageMaxWidthRWD" />px;
          	margin-left:auto;
          	margin-right:auto;
          	padding:0;
          }
          John
          John Ennals
          www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Hi John,

What's the advantage to doing it this way as opposed to changing the site options : general layout tab as suggested by Bruce above? Am I missing something?
            Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

The advantage - which I rather stupidly omitted to mention - is that it works on Smart sites that have a mixture of one-sidebar and two-sidebar pages, as described in Louise's post here:

http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=55983

John
              John Ennals
              www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

ah ok thanks!
                Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

I adjusted my page width exactly how described by BruceT above, and noticed on shrinking the page in a browser, the categories list appears off centre.

See attached image.

I then tried the method described by John Ennals and the categories list is nice and centered. See image.

I dont know if BruceTs method would cause off centered categories on laptops and mobiles as I could only check by shrinking my browser.
                  Attached Files
                  Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Hi John, Do you know how, using your method, I can now make both sidebars the same width? as the right sidebar is wider.
                    Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Yes sorry, you are correct.
                      Does anyone know how to keep the sidebars equal in width?
                      (Its another detail in the responsive theme I find annoying.)
                      Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Symmetry is overrated
                        John Ennals
                        www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

LOL!

I think if you're a graphic designer with mild ocd you might disagree
                          Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

This one is annoying me more!

When using the maximum width in desktop as described by Brucet below, the categories menu on smaller screens becomes off centered (see attached image).

Doe anyone know which bit of code controls that?

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                            If you want a responsive site that is not 100% wide in desktop (ie the page width reduces on small screens, but never grows above a certain size) then the method in the help, which I just described, will give you that. The following values seem about right for an overall width of 960 px

Width For Main Area: 660
                            Width of sidebar(s) in pixels: 150
                            Width of web pages in pixels: 960

If you change the sidebar width then you will need to make an equal and opposite change to the Main Area width; or double, if you have two sidebars.
                            Attached Files
                            Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Originally posted by feemish View Post
                              This one is annoying me more!

When using the maximum width in desktop as described by Brucet below, the categories menu on smaller screens becomes off centered (see attached image).

Doe anyone know which bit of code controls that?
                              Virtually all the code to control this is in the two layouts at the beginning of the style sheet with the name Responsive. The Sellerdeck V14 responsive system relies on @media in the css code, you can find the contents of the two layouts under Design Library Layouts in the Themes section.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                              SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                              Custom Packages

Comment

thanks for pointing this out.
                                Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Working...
                                X